Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 372959 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #600 on: 13 February, 2013, 10:21:03 am »
I was called a prick,

Driver failed to indicate he was turning so I went, he was turning and that was my fault he had to slow down. While I was being shouted at he was pushing me towards the kerb, I had to get off and sit down for a couple minutes before I could carry on.

I have never so much wanted for a handgun to fire a couple rounds through the open window to make a point in my life.  I am sick of being treated like a second class person.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #601 on: 13 February, 2013, 01:27:08 pm »
I was called a prick,

Driver failed to indicate he was turning so I went, he was turning and that was my fault he had to slow down. While I was being shouted at he was pushing me towards the kerb, I had to get off and sit down for a couple minutes before I could carry on.

I have never so much wanted for a handgun to fire a couple rounds through the open window to make a point in my life.  I am sick of being treated like a second class person.

That sounds entirely shit dave. Hope the commute home is a calmer affair.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #602 on: 18 February, 2013, 09:25:21 pm »
Riding in pairs last sunday car coming opposite way deliberately swings into our lane ........strewth why the hell do we think he should have a licence?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #603 on: 18 February, 2013, 09:58:52 pm »
I got an ironic wolf-whistle from a loitering oik today.  Haven't had one of those for ages.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #604 on: 19 February, 2013, 07:25:23 am »
I got an ironic wolf-whistle from a loitering oik today.  Haven't had one of those for ages.

Might not have been ironic.   ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #605 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »
I got a wolf-whistle from a schoolgirl in Bethesda.

Bearing in mind a revelation from Steph, maybe she thought I was her dad...

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #606 on: 19 February, 2013, 11:27:16 pm »

Indeed :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #607 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:44:30 am »
On last night's commute: Four-eyes!   ???

Coworker and I spent the rest of the ride trying to work out when they started handing out driving licences to eight year olds.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #608 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:47:06 am »

Coworker and I spent the rest of the ride trying to work out when they started handing out driving licences to eight year olds.

Ah, nostalgia. I haven't heard that one since I was a bespectacled schoolchild.

« Reply #609 on: 20 February, 2013, 09:48:42 am »

Ah, nostalgia. I haven't heard that one since I was a bespectacled schoolchild.

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

IGMC

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #610 on: 20 February, 2013, 01:36:04 pm »

Indeed :)

People with my bodyshape (ie. oversized hobbit, thankfully without the hairy feet) don't get non-ironic wolf-whistles.

And besides, you can easily tell the difference: genuine wolf-whistles come from WVM, workers on building sites and the like.  Ironic ones come from groups of teenagers, trying to look cool to their mates.

« Reply #611 on: 22 February, 2013, 10:17:53 am »
I got 'Santa' the other day. I do indeed have a full beard, but it's ginger, in accordance to the Scottish Man Beard Act of 1874.

I guess by the time the oik had finished processing 'There's a man with a beard. I better shout something out' (which is in itself a marvelously stupid thought) he thought I was going to get away before he could rack his brains for persons of pigmented facial foliage so settled on someone recently in his child-man mind.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #612 on: 22 February, 2013, 01:12:21 pm »
UR The Bruce AICMFP

« Reply #613 on: 23 February, 2013, 10:10:46 am »
Wiki has filled me in regarding the meaning of AICMFP, but still...huh?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #614 on: 23 February, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »
I've read somewhere that Robert The Bruce had ginger hair & beard hence my ananlogy: a your forum name could sound like " you Bruce".

« Reply #615 on: 24 February, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »
I was out on the old Peugeot a few weeks ago. It's a lovely 90's greenie sort of colour, and from a distance (about a mile), looks not unlike a Bianchi.

As I puffed and wheezed my way up climb, a group of very serious looking cyclists came hurtling down the road towards me, resplendant in matching club jerseys and astride Treks and Cannondales.

As they flashed past me, I heard one of them utter "Looks like a nice Bianchi" - or at least, I think that's what he said. I could be mistaken, he might have said "Looks like a right Wanker"

Onwards my friends !

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #616 on: 03 March, 2013, 09:29:15 am »
The last time anyone shouted at me I was riding through Shillington when a couple of kids shouted "Yer back wheel's goin' round", so I stopped and looked at it then shouted "No it isn't". :D

Almost identical with me on the way home last night. She looked very confused at the response ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #617 on: 03 March, 2013, 07:23:33 pm »
Just riding home from my daughter's in Berlin, in a filthy mood as my visiting time had been unceremoniously interrupted by her mother turning up ahead of schedule and immediately going into Nag mode as regard's Helena's preparations for school tomorrow, regardless of whatever might have happened to have been current between Helena and myself at her point of entry; - so scootling home in stealth mode as haven't got lights re-organised yet, going through red lights, when a carload of German yoofs pulls alongside on a long broadway-type road and starts foisting the usual obscenities and taking the piss; under normal circumstances wouldn't have been a problem, but with the mood I was in, the type of road and where I knew the next set of lights was, I thought I'd try to get my own back.  And yes, there was a mild diversion just further along which held them up a bit, too. 

So came up behind at the next set of reds, they conveniently were indicating left to help me decide on my course of action (ie with drive on the right I was on their right), so pulled up alongside, step off and mild whack with gloved fist on the roof, then make off to the right along the cycle path which is on the other side of the main carriageway from the parked cars.

Didn't know what reation to expect but, by God, all Hell let loose - conscious of someone sprinting towards me shouting obscenities such as to curdle milk, so stepped up the pace a bit to easily outrun them - then, finally, a bottle smashes somewhere behind me and I have a vague impression of shards rattling towards me from behind.  "That'll teach the little fuckers!" I observed to a couple passing on the pavement, in case any explanation were needed as to why a middle-aged bloke were fleeing a band of incensed joofs.  Then a sudden braking, sneak off into a side-street, carefully wend my way home, job done!

Well, well, surpring how can people who purposefully drive around getting kicks out of annoying others can have SUCH a low tolerance level themselves when they're on the receiving end, the world never ceases to amaze me!  ;D

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #618 on: 03 March, 2013, 08:34:37 pm »
Not quite as good as the elderly gent with a hefty padlock & chain story, but a close second .

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #619 on: 04 March, 2013, 12:16:47 am »
I got 'Santa' the other day. I do indeed have a full beard, but it's ginger, in accordance to the Scottish Man Beard Act of 1874.

I guess by the time the oik had finished processing 'There's a man with a beard. I better shout something out' (which is in itself a marvelously stupid thought) he thought I was going to get away before he could rack his brains for persons of pigmented facial foliage so settled on someone recently in his child-man mind.

It's quite rare for me not to get a shout of "Santa!" when I'm out riding.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #620 on: 05 March, 2013, 06:03:57 pm »
Excellent bingo score today.  I got "Sick bike"; "Hahahahah!" (in the faux uncontrollable hysterics favoured by teenage boys); "Someone's nicked yer 'andlebars!"; "That's the bollocks that is!" and "YeWanka!" - all in a single 2 hour ride.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #621 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:17:33 am »
I got a "Excuse me mate, what's the time?" from a young oik who was digging a hole in a field using a golf club.

I enjoyed my witty reply of "It's twenty to two", and that shut him up good and proper.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #622 on: 06 March, 2013, 03:12:34 pm »
Someone yelled "fuf" today, as they drove past very fast in the opposite direction.

Maybe the brakes had failed and they were trying to call for help.  I hope they are okay.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #623 on: 08 March, 2013, 06:34:33 pm »
Excellent bingo score today.  I got "Sick bike"; "Hahahahah!" (in the faux uncontrollable hysterics favoured by teenage boys); "Someone's nicked yer 'andlebars!"; "That's the bollocks that is!" and "YeWanka!" - all in a single 2 hour ride.
We aim for at least one "sick bike" & consider ourselves disappointed if we don't manage at least one "tandem!" (presumably in case we haven't noticed) as well as the old favourite "she's not pedalling at the back"

« Reply #624 on: 08 March, 2013, 08:56:50 pm »
It's a long time since I last rode a tandem in moderately populated areas. When I did the standard cry was

[PG Tips chimp stylee]
Can you ride tandem ?
[/PG Tips chimp stylee]

Which got pretty tedious straight away.
Rust never sleeps