Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428569 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1650 on: 03 November, 2019, 05:31:04 pm »
If you are estimating feather edge, if you choose to have 25mm overlap, that doesn't leave you with 125mm coverage on a 150mm board. Discovering this after cladding 2 walls does not provide the opportunity to successfully change the overlap to 12mm.

« Reply #1651 on: 03 November, 2019, 07:51:09 pm »
Wondered why the house doesn't feel as warm as it did last winter.

Suddenly twigged that, after changing ISP supplier, I installed the new router in the hall.....
just below the thermostat  :facepalm:

Rather than relocate it, just tweaked the temperature setting up a bit to compensate.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1652 on: 22 November, 2019, 09:45:07 am »
Panic when my computer refused to work this morning. Much fiddling with cables, unplugging things and plugging them back in again.

Nothing.

It finally dawned on me the thing might start working if I pressed the button on the front to let the voles in  :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1653 on: 27 November, 2019, 05:03:11 pm »
Me: Aargh, 8 a.m. deadline, why did I agree to that? I'm going to be working all night! Tap tap tap...
Son: Something something something.
Me: Be quiet! Not now! Go away! Lots of work to do! Grrr!
<tap tap tap>
<check emails... > Ah, yes, it's an 8 a.m. deadline... but it's 8 a.m. Friday. Relax!  :facepalm:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1654 on: 27 November, 2019, 08:39:33 pm »
Two big deadlines this week, one of which was expected. The other is a client that provided insufficient information ten weeks ago, a bit more last week and now suddenly wants their report with urgency. I've spent the last two days trying to work out how to turn "they've done fuck all" into recommendations
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1655 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:22:58 am »
My son's off school today and I'm working from home so I didn't need to get up early to take him to the bus/me to the station.

Did I cancel the early morning alarm clock?

You can guess

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #1656 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:50:16 am »
I have no words.

I noticed as I was stepping out of the vehicle to head into a work do. I decided against attending, on the basis that this is not the footwear of someone competent to look after your spending.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1657 on: 28 November, 2019, 10:01:04 am »
what's wrong with that ??!? it's footware and your feet are warm and dry.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

« Reply #1658 on: 28 November, 2019, 10:06:24 am »
as long as one wasn't higher than the other and you kept walking in circles, I don't see the issue

ian

« Reply #1659 on: 28 November, 2019, 10:17:36 am »
A friend of mine managed to wear two shoes that looked the same. What's the problem, you may ask, that's surely the definition of a pair of shoes?

They, however, had different height heels. One was an inch higher than the other so she spent the day listing heavily to starboard.

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #1660 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:35:17 am »
One of the guys I used to work with got to midday once before someone pointed out he had his shoes on the wrong feet.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1661 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:38:46 am »
We had a guest in one of our chalets in the Swiss Alps who came back one day a bit earlier than normal complaining that his feet were hurting. Ski boots on the wrong feet for about six hours ??  Bloody hell.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1662 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:43:23 am »
I read somewhere that shoes were ambipedal, so to speak, until the mid nineteenth century. I'm not at all sure I believe it though.

fuzzy

« Reply #1663 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:47:15 am »
Two big deadlines this week, one of which was expected. The other is a client that provided insufficient information ten weeks ago, a bit more last week and now suddenly wants their report with urgency. I've spent the last two days trying to work out how to turn "they've done fuck all" into recommendations

"The Client has done the worst part of Fuck All. I recommend they pull their collective thumbs out of their collective arses and sort it eh fuck out."

That should do it?

« Reply #1664 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:49:44 am »
I read somewhere that shoes were ambipedal, so to speak, until the mid nineteenth century. I'm not at all sure I believe it though.
It is true, at least for some shoes at some periods of history.
I have a pair for re-enacting. Once you’ve worn them for a bit they do become handed (or footed) but it is still possible to get confused. Hence sayings about putting your shoes on the wrong feet.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1665 on: 28 November, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
What periods and what sorts of shoes? For something like wellies it barely matters even nowadays.

ian

« Reply #1666 on: 28 November, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »

"The Client has done the worst part of Fuck All. I recommend they pull their collective thumbs out of their collective arses and sort it eh fuck out."

That should do it?

If I'm stuck on deliverables for a project, I simply do a bubble plot and put that in a report. You can put three random variables in the same space and it's inestimably popular because everyone hates graphs but likes bubbles. It explains with some precision what happens when you have this, that, and the other. Sometimes I'll tell them it's based on data produced by AI. They like that even more. Those bubbles are the best bubbles of all.

If I really want to go to town I do node plot thing. But that's for special occasions and costs more because it tells the client that some stuff connects to other stuff more than it does to other stuff.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1667 on: 28 November, 2019, 01:00:43 pm »

Back when MrsT was translating, Friday afternoon syndrome was common: a twat would realize at 4 pm that his report had to be translated for his 9 am Monday departure to Foreign, so she'd get "can you do it over the weekend?" closely followed by "at your usual rate, of course", and you can bet your Sunday bollocks the agency charged over the odds.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1668 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:07:54 pm »
Last weekend I set out to skincoat my kayak (it is kevlar and was the kevlar was exposed in some places).

Carefully cleaned it with acetone.

Got kitchen scales out. Decided to mix up 200ml or so of resin. Poured 200gm of resin into one cup. Carefully weighed the hardener. mixed them very thoroughly, then spent 30min painting them on the waterline part of the kayak.

Seemed to be taking a long time to go off.

Cold horrible dread came over me. I'd carefully weighed out enough hardener for 100gm of resin, not 200gm . . .

Been waiting all week to see if it will go off. The bit in the mixing cup, in the warmth, went glass hard overnight. 5 days later, the part on the hull has gone off, but because it took so long, it has run, leaving bloody great runs down the side of the boat. I have a long hard job ahead of me scraping those off.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1669 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:14:25 pm »
At least this wasn't an expanding foam story...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1670 on: 07 December, 2019, 10:45:55 pm »
Crying with laughter...  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1671 on: 08 December, 2019, 08:56:44 am »
Reminiscent of that Gus Pong/dogs in elk story from 'way back.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1672 on: 09 December, 2019, 06:17:28 am »
At least this wasn't an expanding foam story...

My wife and I were just creasing ourselves reading this.  Thank you.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1673 on: 09 December, 2019, 09:21:22 am »

That should do it?

If I'm stuck on deliverables for a project, I simply do a bubble plot and put that in a report. You can put three random variables in the same space and it's inestimably popular because everyone hates graphs but likes bubbles. It explains with some precision what happens when you have this, that, and the other. Sometimes I'll tell them it's based on data produced by AI. They like that even more. Those bubbles are the best bubbles of all.

If I really want to go to town I do node plot thing. But that's for special occasions and costs more because it tells the client that some stuff connects to other stuff more than it does to other stuff.

It must also be pleasing for you, knowing there're idiots like me who, having just read wot you sed above, are staring at it slack-jawed, thinking: "WTF is he going on about!??"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

ElyDave

« Reply #1674 on: 09 December, 2019, 04:44:53 pm »
Node plot stuff is cool, all you need to know