Author Topic: Bikes on Class 800 trains (GWR)  (Read 50459 times)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Re: Bikes on Class 800 trains (GWR)
« Reply #276 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:20:09 pm »
We're so lucky to have left these dodgy European ideas behind...
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #277 on: 17 July, 2021, 12:04:14 pm »
How are they European ideas? Other countries exist. :)

« Reply #278 on: 29 August, 2021, 07:58:52 pm »
Boarding a Transport for Wales train this evening (don't know the model type)- I dutifully approach the door with the bicycle symbol on it, at which point the guard tells me - 'go down the other end mate- you'll never fit a bike on through there'. He later clarified that it was the actual architecture of the carriage (not some temporary obstruction) which meant that a bike could not be manoeuvred through that particular doorway. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #279 on: 30 August, 2021, 10:03:32 am »
Apparently this relates to LNER redesigning the bike spaces on their class 80x trains. Not sure in what way, probably just a new shape of hook.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #280 on: 30 August, 2021, 10:05:00 am »
Apparently this relates to LNER redesigning the bike spaces on their class 80x trains. Not sure in what way, probably just a new shape of hook.

Probably removing one of the hooks...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #281 on: 30 August, 2021, 12:28:01 pm »
I'm ok today.

20210830_083836 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #282 on: 30 August, 2021, 12:29:15 pm »
Rumour has it that luggage rack was specifically designed around the dimensions of a folded Brompton...

rogerzilla

« Reply #283 on: 30 August, 2021, 12:49:26 pm »
You'd be stuffed if you had the extended seatpost with the Pentaclip a little further up.  Mine's at the very bottom of the narrow bit,  for a 30 1/4" sadfle height.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #284 on: 02 October, 2021, 10:58:37 am »
In other Class 800 news, these trains have levels of nitrogen dioxide in the carriage air "up to 13 times worse than standing beside a busy road in central London."
https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2021/09/29/rssb-research-exposes-poor-air-quality-on-diesel-trains

« Reply #285 on: 02 October, 2021, 11:27:35 am »
It doesn’t make clear that that’s the peak measurement - I think just after they start the engines when running off the wires.

The overall exposure must be much less.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #286 on: 01 November, 2021, 10:02:14 pm »

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1455254845171113992

Is this news? News to me anyway. The ultra tight bicycle storage cabins on @LNER trains are being changed to become more accessible, a train guard just told me. Dunno how accessible, but maybe the company could ask some experts this time?

then:

https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1455255796657369088
Hi Carlton, the Train Manager is correct. By mid-year 2022, we hope to have all of our Azuma cycle facilities upgraded to be more accessible and easier to use. ^Cameron

I just hope they don't go full verschlimmbessern when they do this work.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #287 on: 01 November, 2021, 10:06:50 pm »
Given that the modular space the bike compartment fits into is constrained by structural bulkheads, I'm wondering how much scope they actually have for improving it.  I'm betting on slightly better hooks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #288 on: 01 November, 2021, 10:10:01 pm »
Given that the modular space the bike compartment fits into is constrained by structural bulkheads, I'm wondering how much scope they actually have for improving it.  I'm betting on slightly better hooks.

Yep... That was my guess too.

J
--

rogerzilla

« Reply #289 on: 02 November, 2021, 07:20:35 am »
The quick fix would be to change to one hook per cupboard (as per Cross Country) and to ensure it's at the right height to get a fattish tyre in without the bike dragging on the floor.  Currently, the lower hook is too low for virtually any bike other than a track iron, and will ruin your rear mudguard unless you hang it by the rear wheel.

Unfortunately, this halves the number of bikes that can be carried, because the allocated space is so small.

They may need to charge for carrying bikes and, in return, provide proper guaranteed facilities.

« Reply #290 on: 02 November, 2021, 07:35:49 am »
I find the opposite: the top hook is too close to the ceiling to fit a 700c wheel with anything other than the skinniest of tyres. Though if you have a fat tyre or a deep section rim, you haven't a hope with either.

Actually the problem with these trains is that they were designed to squeeze in as many seats as possible without thought for anything else they might have to carry. So they fail as long distance trains as there is insufficient luggage space, and they fail as commuter trains as there is insufficient standing room (back in the pre-covid days when there were large numbers of commuters). The obvious solution would be to rip out a couple of rows of seats from a carriage and repurpose the area as bike and luggage space. However I'm not optimistic.

rogerzilla

« Reply #291 on: 02 November, 2021, 07:43:55 am »
Yes, the top hook is too high (no room for > 30mm tyres) and the lower hook is too low (bike drags on the floor).  The optimum height is somewhere in between.  I think they staggered them to avoid handlebar interference but that still happens.

This must be the bike they used as a model.

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/593595-fixie-handlebars-how-short-too-short-haha.html#&gid=1&pid=1

« Reply #292 on: 02 November, 2021, 08:38:47 am »
I struggled yesterday getting on an LNER at Arbroath (bound for London).  It was my hardtail with 2.25 tyres and wide straight handlebars. 

The cupboard doors had only been half unlocked and it was virtually impossible to get the front wheel over the hook (already a difficult task) without the pedals or handlebars catching on the half-opened doors.

Certainly no-one else would have been able to put a second bike in there. 

On the way north my bike was on the inner hook.  Someone had managed to get theirs on the outer hook (the doors were fully open on that journey making things easier), so when I got to my stop I had to take their bike out, rest it in the vestibule (tricky on a moving train), take mine out, rest it in the vestibule (tricky on a moving train especially when there is another bike there already), then put theirs back.  AAArgghh.

I could suggest they replace the two hooks with one, make the hook a lot bigger (why the *** is it so small - what possible advantage does that bestow anyway), coat the hook with some rubber-type padding so it doesn't scratch my expensive rims to **** with 6 hours of metal vibrating against metal (there isn't room on the existing hooks to use your own padding) , and open up the other bloody cupboards which I know exist but they seem loathed to use.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #293 on: 02 November, 2021, 08:50:11 am »
They consulted experts (actual real genuine cyclists) in the first place and it didn't do much good.

« Reply #294 on: 02 November, 2021, 08:55:23 am »
They consulted experts (actual real genuine cyclists) in the first place and it didn't do much good.

The term "consultation" is used to justify a multitude of sins.  I know this from the way my local council does things. It's almost always a case of them coming up with a fully-detailed plan first and then going through a tick-box "consultation" after, which rarely has any effect.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #295 on: 02 November, 2021, 11:15:24 am »
As in this case, consultations are most often done long after the opportunity to make any changes has passed.

We were invited to one for some local road changes and their response to everything was literally “we’ve been working on this for five years, anything we change puts us back to square one.”

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #296 on: 02 November, 2021, 11:28:07 am »
As in this case, consultations are most often done long after the opportunity to make any changes has passed.

Exactly this.  By the time they invited us to dangle assorted types of bicycle in their prototype cupboard, they'd already committed to the modular toilet/bike space/catering unit design, with structural bulkheads that precluded horizontal bike storage.

They took some advice on how to polish the turd (most significantly raising the false ceiling of the compartment to gain an extra 10cm of bike length, and some discussion of hooks that got ignored), but that was it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #297 on: 02 November, 2021, 11:34:43 am »

We were invited to one for some local road changes and their response to everything was literally “we’ve been working on this for five years, anything we change puts us back to square one.”
At least they were honest about it. We had similar with a bus stop outside a building I'm on a sort of committee for; they were altering it and we asked if they could move the litter bin from outside the gate, and one or two other minor things. They sent two planning bods to meet us, who said this some things could be done and some couldn't, we looked at junction boxes (calm down Kim) and then Covid happened. When they eventually sent the builders in, it ended up exactly as their original plan with the litter bin right outside the gate. We'd really have preferred it if they'd said "We've made the plan and we can't change it."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #298 on: 02 November, 2021, 11:37:27 am »
In this particular case my guess is LNER will remove one hook per cabinet to make more space, and then people will put bikes in the horizontal luggage area or just lean them in the gangways and no one will be happy. Except possibly GWR will boast that their 800s carry more bikes so don't go asking for improvements.

« Reply #299 on: 02 November, 2021, 05:15:58 pm »
Found out other day that some East Midlands trains still have a guards van.  Oh for the days all long distance trains had guards van where you could put your bike.