Author Topic: Shimano Freehub Vs Non-branded Freehub  (Read 1406 times)

Shimano Freehub Vs Non-branded Freehub
« on: 24 July, 2021, 01:15:12 pm »
The freehub body on my MTB is very rough, very noisy and generally knackered. The bicycle in question is a 2011 GT Avalanche which is sort of entry to mid-level (was <£1000 at the time) and as such it has non-branded (or at least GT branded) hubs. It's all Shimano 9 speed kit.

I dug out and old XT rear hub (circa 2006) and removed the freehub body. My plan being to use this as a replacement.

Now... I haven't yet removed the existing freehub as I don't have the correct Allen key. The Shimano one requires a 10mm allen key, but this non-branded thing needs most likely a 12mm which I don't have. (As I understand it 11, 12 and 14mm are not uncommon).

So before I fork out on a bunch of larger allen keys, is the XT freehub body likely to fit?

Larger pic

Two main things:

1. The spliney type things. Are they likely to be the same on my existing hub? Is it some sort of standard? I know there are tons of variations these days, but this is bog standard old skool Shimano 9 speed.
2. The bolt? Will the thread by the same? I guess I might be able to use the original bolt?

I'm trying to keep this MTB alive for a bit longer before buying a new one when bikes are back in stock. I don't want to fork out too much cash, but if this is going to be a pain, I may as well just buy a cheap new rear wheel for now and be done with it....

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Shimano Freehub Vs Non-branded Freehub
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2021, 01:27:25 pm »
No standards whatsoever AFAIK. Even within the same manufacturer a fit is pure chance.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:46:59 pm »
is the XT freehub body likely to fit?

No

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2021, 08:35:40 pm »
it could be one of those unbranded formula/novatec hubs with 11mm allen key bolt. shimano freehub will not fit. even shimano freehubs are not consistent in fit interfaces.

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:04:48 pm »
OK, cheers. I think I shall abandon this plan then. Still, at least I learnt something form it! :)

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2021, 06:35:51 pm »
Right, I haven't given up on this!

I eventually got around to buying an 11mm allen key so I could get the old freehub body off. It is, of course as pointed out, nothing like the Shimano one.

But can I get a replacement? Well, having done some fairly extensive research, I reckon it's a Formula DC22 as GT used Formula hubs for all their sub 1k bikes back then.

The reason I think it's a DC22 is because it's the only one that looks like the one I have. It was also fitted to many MTBs running Shimano 9 speed back in the day.

Westbrook Cycles have a ton of spares, including the DC22

The image from Westbrook:

And here's the one from my bike:

At £20, I'm half tempted to just order it. My only other option is to trawl what few local LBSs there are left to see if they can get one...

Any thoughts?

« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2021, 07:53:26 pm »
It sounds like it's the right one and it looks like the right one.

It's only £20.

I'd hit the 'Buy' button and if it doesn't fit, return it. What would you lose?  The postage.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2021, 08:47:58 pm »
It sounds like it's the right one and it looks like the right one.

It's only £20.

I'd hit the 'Buy' button and if it doesn't fit, return it. What would you lose?  The postage.

Yeah, doing even more research, I'm convinced it is the correct one.

Now ordered!  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2021, 03:52:42 pm »
Freewheels may have been a pain to remove, and bent axles were a possibility, but at least the hubs lasted indefinitely with care.  Shimano is getting pretty bad at deliberate obsolescence now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2021, 12:11:11 pm »
On the off chance that anyone is remotely interested, the new freehub arrived today. It would appear to be identical :)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2021, 12:24:41 pm »
Nice, an Avalanche is just a Zaskar with the wrong end cap

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk