Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195628 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #1025 on: 10 May, 2018, 06:57:20 pm »
It isn't full yet - entries are still being accepted.
Andy
Just entered.  Eeekkk...!!!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1026 on: 13 May, 2018, 10:52:26 am »
Andy
Me too. I wonder why I do these things to myself.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1027 on: 13 May, 2018, 01:20:24 pm »
Three last minute chancers.... We're doomed
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #1028 on: 13 May, 2018, 07:03:53 pm »
Andy
From the way you were going on Brevet Cymru, you'll have no problems, Simon.

« Reply #1029 on: 13 May, 2018, 07:47:12 pm »
Andy
From the way you were going on Brevet Cymru, you'll have no problems, Simon.
Thx Ajax Bay your confidence is appreciated!

BTW and I feel daft for asking, but are you John who was on the yellow bike whom I rode with early on?  Sorry  :-[

« Reply #1030 on: 13 May, 2018, 08:07:06 pm »
Guilty as charged, y'r honour. Mille Pennines is a bold challenge but start it with 100% intent to finish, have a sleep plan and and a feeding plan and know that if you get back to Sedbergh with a few hours still in hand after Day 2 that you can make it. A few fellow travellers doesn't half help the kms go by and most of the terrain is, actually as well as euphemistically, scenic.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1031 on: 14 May, 2018, 10:59:06 am »
Will there be a jersey this year?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #1032 on: 16 May, 2018, 01:03:22 pm »
"Will there be a jersey this year?"

No jersey this year - but there'll likely be one when the event returns in 2-years time!

The final event info' and route details will be ready before the end of this month.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #1033 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:19:28 pm »
Andy

And me.  Whoops!

« Reply #1034 on: 18 May, 2018, 08:04:47 pm »
Guilty as charged, y'r honour...
It isn't full yet - entries are still being accepted. Andy
And me.  Whoops!
Be good to catch with you both  :)

« Reply #1035 on: 23 May, 2018, 12:32:09 pm »
I've thrown my hat into the ring for my first multi day Audax. Hoping that the return to Sedbergh each night will make this a slightly less daunting prospect than a straight out and back or a single big loop. More like 3 consecutive 300km-400km events with a bonus epilogue!

Live in Kendal so the first day is all local roads and I am familiar with the second day from Hexham back to Sedbergh. The start of the 2nd day and all of the 3rd day (if I make it that far!) will be completely new territory.

Started compiling a list of ETAs for controls/eating and been browsing Deano's excellent guide. Looking forward to getting the full route sheet and annotating it into day route cards.

Getting excited/nervous already  ;D

« Reply #1036 on: 23 May, 2018, 04:26:26 pm »
Started compiling a list of ETAs for controls/eating and been browsing Deano's excellent guide. Looking forward to getting the full route sheet and annotating it into day route cards.
I took full advantage of Deano's shared knowledge and on Day 2 I ate at the station cafe above Stanhope (just before the Blanchford turn that I subsequently failed to take) and at Falstone (just before you get to Kielder reservoir), and (not on Deano's list) at a chippy (Fontanas) on the main (A6) road coming out of Carlisle, opposite ASDA.
While you wait for the 'full routesheet', here's my effort at an abbreviated one (attached) based on this RwGPS route, which has had Andy's imprimatur: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24491995
There are some route hacks in it (?3) - have fun spotting them.
0,   BISPHAM
,   Hambleton
,   Pilling
17,   R on A588
26,   COCKERHAM
43,   CATON
51,   Over Kellet
64,   MILNTHORPE
,   Newby Bridge
86,   BOWNESS
95,   AMBLESIDE
,   A593 to Skelwith Bridge, then
100,   R to Little Langdale
106,   WRYNOSE PASS
112,   HARDKNOTT PASS
,   BOOT
121,   ESKDALE GREEN (and L)
129,   HOLMBROOK R + L
,   DRIGG
134,   SEASCALE
,   Gosforth L on A595
142,   CALDER BRIDGE and R
154,   ENNERDALE BRIDGE
,   R onto A5086 and R
160,   LAMPLUGH
,   LOWESWATER
172,   R thro' HIGH LORTON
,   BRAITHWAITE
186,   KESWICK
212,   AMBLESIDE
219,   Windermere
233,   KENDAL
250,   SEDBERGH
0,   SEDBERGH
22,   Kirkby Stephen
29,   Brough
52,   Middleton
73,   STANHOPE
74,   R $ Edmundbyers
79,   L $ BLANCHLAND
88,   BLANCHLAND
105,   HEXHAM
,   L B6531 $ Heydon Br
,   X A66, X br (Tyne), L
,   Fourstones, R, R&L, SO
118,   L on B6320
131,   Bellingham @br, L
145,   NB Falstone cafĂ© (L600)
160,   KIELDER
188,   NEWCASTLETON, R
199,   LANGHOLM
229,   LOCKERBIE
,   SE on B7076 // M74
269,   CARLISLE, A6
300,   PENRITH
,   A6 through Shap
315,   SHAP
,   2.4km L $ ORTON
326,   ORTON, R B6260
330,   TEBAY, A685
,   6k L B6257
,   6k L A684
347,   SEDBERGH
0,   SEDBERGH
,   A684 $ Hawes
,   L $ ASKRIGG
33,   ASKRIGG
45,   REDMIRE
46.4,   L $ Catt'k Garr'n
53,   Join A6108 and off
62,   CATTERICK G'N
66,   Cross A1(M) br
67,   Brompton-on-S R
70,   SCORTON L&R B1263
81,   R A167 L
83,   L B1264 $ YARM
94,   YARM (Shell or Prison Cafe)
,   A1044
,   R $ HILTON
,   SEAMER
106,   STOKESLEY
,   3rd @ O $ Gt Ayton
107,   O A173
108,   R $ EASBY
112,   Easby
116,   KILDALE
118,   2.4 after, R @x W'DALE
122,   1/2 way down hill, L
125,   CASTLETON
128,   DANBY R&L(SO)
129,   L $ Danby Beacon
134,   L @ T Whitby
138,   E on A171
148,   Whitby R on A171
152,   L $ R H BAY B1447
157,   ROBIN HOOD'S BAY
,   FYLINGTHORPE
160,   L on A171 S
161,   R $ Ruswarp B1416
165,   2.7k  L down to Littlebeck
166,   R on A169, down hill and L
174,   GROSMONT
176,   EGTON, and L
192,   ROSEDALE ABBEY
199,   HUTTON-le-H
203,   R on A170, after 1.3k
,   Kirkbymoorside (Food)
214,   HELMSLEY
237,   THIRSK
,   A61 W RIPON
254,   RIPON
268,   MASHAM
,   Leyburn
280,   MIDDLEHAM
,   X R Ure br (Fort)
,   L $ WENSLEY
,   A684 $ Hawes
305,   BAINBRIDGE, R x R Ure
313,   R A684 $ SEDBERGH
336,   SEDBERGH
0,   SEDBERGH
17,   KIRKBY LONSDALE
,   R+L $ Carnforth
20,   WHITTINGTON
25,   ARKHOLME
29,   L $ HALTON
43,   LANCASTER
44,   R A588
55,   COCKERHAM
,   A588 to
73,   HAMBLETON
,   $ Fleetwood
81,   BISPHAM

Note: I have added a 'comma' to each km number so one can copy, paste and 'text to columns' this identifying the 'comma' as the separator.

« Reply #1037 on: 23 May, 2018, 06:34:56 pm »
I've thrown my hat into the ring for my first multi day Audax. Hoping that the return to Sedbergh each night will make this a slightly less daunting prospect than a straight out and back or a single big loop. More like 3 consecutive 300km-400km events with a bonus epilogue!

Live in Kendal so the first day is all local roads and I am familiar with the second day from Hexham back to Sedbergh. The start of the 2nd day and all of the 3rd day (if I make it that far!) will be completely new territory.

Getting excited/nervous already  ;D

I'll have to update it for this year once the controls have been finalised. Looks like the only changes will be start and end of day 2. Gretna Services returns!

« Reply #1038 on: 24 May, 2018, 02:05:13 pm »
I took full advantage of Deano's shared knowledge and on Day 2 Iate at the station cafe above Stanhope (just before the Blanchford turn that I subsequently failed to take) and at Falstone (just before you get to Kielder reservoir), and (not on Deano's list) at a chippy (Fontanas) on the main (A6) road coming out of Carlisle, opposite ASDA.
While you wait for the 'full routesheet', here's my effort at an abbreviated one (attached) based on this RwGPS route, which has had Andy's imprimatur: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24491995
There are some route hacks in it (?3) - have fun spotting them.

Thanks Ajax Bay, copied to Excel and will have some fun with that  :thumbsup:

I'll have to update it for this year once the controls have been finalised. Looks like the only changes will be start and end of day 2. Gretna Services returns!

That would be appreciated Deano, I've used Gretna Services on the Westmorland Spartans so was planning on stopping there again.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #1039 on: 25 May, 2018, 03:28:11 pm »
Thanks to all those that have entered this year's edition of the Mille Pennines 1000, the last for at least 2-years.

The event information and final route-sheet are now more or less finished and will be issued in the next week to 10-days.

The route is pretty much the same as previous years. The main differences being:

On stage 1, the first control is at Caton rather than Arnside, cutting out the stretch through Lancaster. From Bowness, the route is run in reverse in order to offer better control facilities at Seascale and Keswick, avoiding the long queues at Siskins Cafe near Whinlatter Pass.

Stage 2 cuts out the section via Hawes instead following a direct route to Stanhope. These roads, using the A684/A685 also offer better night-riding conditions for riders that wish to push on as several did last year. This stage of the route also extends westwards to Lockerbie (as did 2016) in order to make up the distance lost via Hawes.

Stage 3 is exactly the same as last year, controlling at Ripon again rather than at Thirsk. Ripon also offers better control facilities.

Stage 4 is again a direct run from Sedbergh back to Bispham, but cutting out the stretch through Lancaster. Riders can opt to go via Lancaster if they wish to do so.

We've reached the entry limit but due to riders that have already notified me of their intention to DNS a few more places have been made available. Regular updates are posted on the calendar page at: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-62/

I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #1040 on: 25 May, 2018, 03:50:36 pm »
Stage 4 is again a direct run from Sedbergh back to Bispham, but cutting out the stretch through Lancaster. Riders can opt to go via Lancaster if they wish to do so.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

I have just amended the (my) RwGPS route to reflect what Andy has said/implied, cutting south from Caton and retracing the route out to Cockerham, avoiding Lancaster.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24491995
But NB this is 'guesstimate' (Cockerham to Milnthorpe on Day 1 and Caton to Cockerham on Day 4) and riders will wish to consult "the event information and final route-sheet [which is] more or less finished" when issued.
1000km MP1K Audax
Start: Bispham (Blackpool)
Controls: Caton(43), Seascale(135), Keswick(186), Sedbergh(250), Stanhope(323), Kielder(417), Lockerbie(480), Penrith(550), Sedbergh(597), Yarm(692), Robin Hood's Bay(755), Ripon(853) and Sedbergh (933) Bispham(1013).

Phil W

« Reply #1041 on: 25 May, 2018, 04:23:20 pm »
Ajax Bay are you going for all four 1,000 this year?

« Reply #1042 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:57:29 am »
No, Phil. Very pleased to have cracked Mille Pennines last year and hoped I might get up to Sedbergh to help, but  real life (family) has stymied that (allied to the not insignificant issue of MP1K being only 4 days after ACME Grand). And Mille Cymru is 'out' as I have another family commitment on the Sunday. Considered riding the GT Wednesday to Saturday (ie 4 x 255k average) but timings and safe driving will not allow that.
Thoroughly looking forward to Graeme's West Highlands, but yesterday on Ian H's excellent Old Roads 300 I had an arm wrestle with the idea of the 456k 'first day'. I'll need to (force myself to) take the ride across to Tarbert for breakfast sensibly steadily. Perhaps I should adopt Flatus's mantra of just staying below 140 (HR) bpm.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1043 on: 27 May, 2018, 12:00:29 pm »
Perhaps I should adopt Flatus's mantra of just staying below 140 (HR) bpm.

The problem is that he can do that while cruising at 30 km/h...   :-\

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1044 on: 06 June, 2018, 12:40:19 pm »

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

I have just amended the RwGPS route to reflect what Andy has said/implied, cutting south from Caton and retracing the route out to Cockerham, avoiding Lancaster.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24491995
But NB this is 'guesstimate' (Cockerham to Milnthorpe on Day 1 and Caton to Cockerham on Day 4) and riders will wish to consult "the event information and final route-sheet [which is] more or less finished" when issued.
1000km MP1K Audax
Start: Bispham (Blackpool)
Controls: Caton(43), Seascale(135), Keswick(186), Sedbergh(250), Stanhope(323), Kielder(417), Lockerbie(480), Penrith(550), Sedbergh(597), Yarm(692), Robin Hood's Bay(755), Ripon(853) and Sedbergh (933) Bispham(1013).

Just having a lunchtime peruse of this, wanted to say thanks for compiling that route, I've copied it to my account for final amendment and splitting by day once Andy confirms the final details.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #1045 on: 06 June, 2018, 02:00:34 pm »

" https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24491995 "

Just having a lunchtime peruse of this, wanted to say thanks for compiling that route, I've copied it to my account for final amendment and splitting by day once Andy confirms the final details.
My pleasure. I will endeavour to amend this route with any additional information Andy shares, and note that in the 'description'

« Reply #1046 on: 09 June, 2018, 10:21:55 pm »
Deano's Guide to Good Eatin' in the North - 2018 version

There's also some advice about likely pace, route and random other bits mixed in with it - PM me if you want my version of the route, and I'll send it when I've completed it. I'm assuming that the controls listed as of 09/06/18 won't change. Controls are in bold - give me a shout if I've missed anything, and I'll try to add it

Day 1

Caton is out of my area for the start. You might want to stock up on snacks so you've something for the long leg to Seascale. Ambleside has a Co Op and a Spar, but you have to fight your way through the one-way system to get to either.

Troutbeck Bridge Spar between Windermere and Ambleside: https://www.spar.co.uk/store-locator/hal23615-spar-troutbeck-bridgehttps://www.spar.co.uk/store-locator/hal23615-spar-troutbeck-bridge (thanks ESL)

There are plenty of options round Windermere, but not much after Ambleside - Skelwith Bridge has a cafe, but it tends to be a bit busy as it's tourist central.

Quote from: Ajax Bay
Plenty of choice going through Bowness (R@T). You don't want to go into Windermere or Ambleside - it's just wasted time.

After that, you're on your own up Wrynose and Hardknott. Once you start dropping down to Eskdale, there are pubs and cafes, but you may as well carry on to Seascale.

Seascale - large-ish Co Op climbing away from the beach and a takeaway opposite, or a crappy McColl's on the front. Just snacks and supermarket food. Also public toilets on the front. I'd just go to the McColl's. There used to be a cafe a couple of doors up from McColl's, which may be open for a few riders (if it's still there).

ETA: Pudding Lane, closes at 3 according to FB: https://www.facebook.com/puddinglanecakes/

There's also the Ice cream parlour round the corner on the hill heading south (with the fibreglass cow outside) which opens until 10-5 every day of the week - http://www.mawsonsicecreamparlour.co.uk/

Coop is better (imo) and there's a post office next door which have given me a nice stamp (and sold ripe bananas) the last two years. Think the 'takeaway opposite Coop' is not open anymore - wasn't last year. (I got a pizza there in '16.) Dive into Gosforth just not worth it.

Gosforth village after Seascale has a very well-stocked village shop, including a coffee machine. But you may as well just stop at Seascale rather than jinking off-route.

There are pubs in the villages either side of Cold Fell, and there's a tiny village shop/cafe in Lorton as well, which is good for a coffee and a cake or some snacks. If it's open when you pass.

Oh, and the Kirkstile Inn at Loweswater - good for bottle top-ups, but only worth stopping to eat if you have the time for a proper sit-down meal.

The route now skips the cafe at Whinlatter Pass, but it's there if you need it.

Keswick has loads of choices - I like the Kingfisher chippy, which is on the right before you jink left around the pedestrianised Front Street (and TBH, I'd just ride straight through the pedestrianised area, unless you're really rule-abiding or it's really busy, which is unlikely). There's also a Co Op on the left before the mini roundabout just after the pencil museum, and there are garages and as many options as you'd expect in such a tourist honeypot, though I can't think of any that would be quick at our likely passing time. I wouldn't recommend the cafe at Booths (even if it's open) - it's nice, but tends to be busy.

Not a serving suggestion, but the service road across the dam and around the back of Thirlmere is gorgeous, and I'd recommend it to everyone as an alternative to hacking along the dual carriageway. If you have time. Magnificent views of the back of Helvellyn across the reservoir, and some proper High Victorian engineering.
Scratch that - closed for forestry work.

Coming back to Sedbergh, Windermere and Kendal have loads of eatin' options. There's a Spar at Troutbeck Bridge, a couple of garages along the A591 and so on. Bugger all after Kendal, though.

Nearly all riders will be going through Kendal after 5pm so all the daytime cafes will be closed. And so will Greggs.

There's a Spar on the left in Sedbergh (look for the signs for the medical centre) if you want to top up on pocket snacks for the next day, or grab a beer for the evening (or even some broccoli to add to your pasta, as one rider did last year) - closes at 10 pm.

Easy to miss. And anyway only the very fastest riders will be there before 10pm (ie about 5 last year made Sedbergh by 9pm last year) and the start at Bispham's an hour later this year.

Day Two

Cautley Spout at dawn, you lucky lot.

Kirkby Stephen - there's a hostel at Kirkby Stephen, and I'd recommend booking a room here. This is exactly what I've done. It's only 20 km farther, and not a particularly tough 20 km. A gentle-ish main road climb, then a steady descent. BTW the waiting rooms at Kirkby Stephen station are heated, and usually open at night (but no guarantees). The station's at the top of the hill, a long way out of town.

Loads of stuff in Kirkby Stephen - a Co Op and newsagents are all that's likely to be open at passing time, though.

Riders will be through Kirkby Stephen before the shops open (at 7). If they aren't through by 6 they will not be completing Day 2 (my prediction).

Brough has a OneStop which opens early (6 am) - it's on the left just after the clock tower, about 15 yards off route. It doubles as the Post Office, so withdraw cash at the counter if you need funds.

There's also a cafe - Chofh's, which is on the left before the clock tower, just by the public toilets. I forgot to ask them what time they open, but it caters for a working population, and you might want to call in for a second breakfast if it is open, as it's a long 22 km with nothing at all and Quite a Long Climb until...

Middleton-in-Teesdale - I'd expect just the Co Op and the newsagents (both on the right at the T-junction by the water fountain) to be open, as the cafes tend to serve the tourist trade and not open until 9 or so, but you may be lucky.

There's nowt up Bollihope apart from sheep and grouse. Where the road turns west near the top, remember to look left, back at the view of Teesdale and the tops of the Yorkshire Dales.

Stanhope - there's a Co Op and a cafe next to it, but the cafe at the Dales Tourist Centre is much better (opens at 9).

Above Stanhope there's Parkhead Station Cafe on the Waskerley Way: http://www.parkheadstation.co.uk/tea-rooms.php - just follow the gravelly track out to it. I'm not sure of the opening times, but you could give them a call and just get a receipt in Stanhope before riding up Crawleyside to the cafe - it says 3 miles from Stanhope, and there's a board at the cafe for writing your time up Crawleyside. Don't expect this to be a quick 3 miles.

Immediately after Stanhope, above Crawleyside, Parkhead Station Cafe - used last year (on Deano's recommendation) opens at 9am. Bacon and egg bap, and coffee iirc: tasty and pretty quick. Worth ringing them (01388 526434) from Stanhope if a group of riders planning to stop. And as a bonus, you're not doing the Crawleyside climb on a full stomach.

Blanchland - there's a shop and a decent cafe, but I wouldn't bother stopping unless you're on your knees. Hexham isn't that far, and this is probably the toughest section where you can lose the most time. N.B. the Waitrose at Hexham does NOT have a cafe, if anyone from down south is hankering after a taste of home. Hexham's a busy town with loads of options. No bike shop, though.

[quote = Ajax Bay]Bykology, Hexham (9am - 4pm) 07415 774937
On right 'soon' (2nd R) after R@T; looks out over bus station next to 'Coffee Cup'.[/quote]

Wark has a handy village shop.

Bellingham is just off route and there's a Co Op, a few cafes, a bakery and a bike shop.

Falstone - cafe in the old school. Just off route, and can be a good stop before slogging into the likely headwind over Kielder. Good coffee.

I ate here last year. Again good and quick - a few hundred metres off route.

Kielder Reservoir - There's a nice cafe at the Tower Knowe Visitor Centre about 10-15 km before the village stores, they didn't seem to mind that we were oozing water all over the floor https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tower+Knowe+Visitor+Centre/@55.174844,-2.4751189,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x83c142965f854792!8m2!3d55.174844!4d-2.4751189.  (thanks Jon for reminding me! There are public loos here as well)

Kielder control - as well as the village shop (which doesn't stock much) and the nearby public loos, there's a little shop at the garage on the main road (they do coffee) - scratch that, no longer open. But there's still the pub, which is farther off the route.

I went to the village shop - they had run out of milk (Friday at 4pm). It is open till 5:30pm. The SPAR in Newcastleton's the next place (25km further on) and carries rather more stock - it's on the left, next to deno's "Copshaw Kitchen". Shops in Langholm and Lockerbie.

Top tip - I'd just get a receipt at Kielder for PoP. Either eat at the visitors' centre or Falstone, or ride the 20-25 km to Newcastleton and go to...

Copshaw Kitchen - excellent home cooked food. Open till five, and worth stopping. Steve and I stopped there in 2016 after just getting a bar of chocolate for PoP at Kielder. If running late, call to check opening times (013873 75250) - they're pretty friendly and would probably stay open a little bit if they knew you were coming, as they offered to do just this when I mentioned the ride to them in 2016. They were open until 8 in 2017, but you'd have to call to check this year.

Newcastleton also has a couple of shops and hotels, so it's well-provisioned.

There's not a lot in Langholm or Lockerbie (another reason to stop at Newcastleton) - a quick garage stop, or pizza shop is about as good as it gets.

Gretna Services - I noticed we passed this on the road from Lockerbie to Carlisle. You'll miss it if you don't know it's there, but on the B7076 between Kirkpatrick Fleming and Gretna, there is a secret entrance to the right in the hedge which takes you to the M'Way Services:

https://goo.gl/maps/995u2cZkPqR2

It's a proper motorway services with proper Motorway prices. But if you want a bucket of KFC, it's your lad.

Farther on, there's a McDonald's on the A7 in Carlisle, and obviously loads of options in Carlisle itself. Ajax Bay recommends Fontana's chippy opposite the Asda. The McDonald's is 24-hour, but probably not recommended unless you're Quite Late, as it's a popular munchie spot for Carlisle revellers. Could be fun.

(550 km) Don't try the McDonald's in Penrith if it's late as it's drive-thru only and they won't let you order on a bike. In 2016, they wouldn't even let someone in a car order for us "cos I can still see them". FFS. The garages at the south end should be open - well, the Shell on the left is 24-hour, and the Esso on the right closes at 10. Both on-route and both easy options for a quick pick-me-up. Penrith truck stop is a pretty good option (quick and plentious food), but a bit of a faff to get there: http://www.awjtruckstop.co.uk/location.html

Penrith's a pain to get through, but you won't see anything else on-route until...

The Golden Fleece Services (where the A6 crosses the M6 for the first time south of Carlisle) is 24-hour - it's your basic garage, but with a coffee machine. Not as good as...

Tebay J38 services (580 km) - the route passes the M'way services (on the right just before the A685 roundabout), and this is a pretty good option if you need something get you the last 10 miles or so to Sedbergh. The shop on the forecourt is 24-hour, and comes with a coffee machine. Home-cooked food, with sausage rolls like elephants' toes, though there may be none left by the time you get there.

Day 3

Richmond (660 km) has public loos on the left at the roundabout, and there's a handy garage JUST AFTER the right turn onto the Northallerton b-road: https://goo.gl/maps/EAfCtrY5P1z. There's a Greggs and loads of other stuff in the town square, but the garage wins for convenience.

Top Tip - The control at Yarm is probably going to be the garage - if you take the right after the roundabout, though, there's a decent cafe at Kirklevington Prison. No, really. Ask at the counter for their "Just Visiting" stamp*.  In 2017, a few riders skipped the garage to stop here, and Andy accepted this as PoP.

Stokesley has a Co Op, loads of cafes and a garage at the far eastern end.

(try not to miss the left turn on the descent to Hob Hole, as it's quite a climb back up if you do)

Castleton - there's a Co Op and a cafe at the old chapel (opposite the Co Op). Both are on the right at the left hand bend at the top of the hill away from the railway - there are also public toilets here.  The route also passes the National Park Centre at Danby, but I'd expect that to be rammed on Sunday afternoon. Either of those should get you to the control at RHB (which is a decent chippy). Realistically, a good feed at Yarm should get you through to RHB.

After Robin Hood's Bay, there's not much on the route - a couple of pubs in Egton Bridge, or you can nip into Grosmont. After Egton Bridge there's nowt until Rosedale. You can top your bottles at one of the pubs or the campsite in Rosedale, and there are cafes and a shop if you're early enough.

Once in Robin Hood's bay, there a village shop on the left hand side, before the drop down to the fish and chip shop

I wouldn't bother stopping in Hutton-le-Hole as it's very touristy and all the cafes are lovely but take ages (and they'll probably be closed by then), but Kirkbymoorside is a good place to stop, with a couple of shops and takeaways to break up the long section to Ripon.

In Kirkbymoorside, the burger takeaway and shop are both right by the roundabout. Good place for assembling a group for the twilight/dark last (long) 130k to Sedbergh.

After Helmsley (loads of options), there's unlikely to be anything open except pubs, though there are plenty of those.

Ripon - if it's late, the 24-hour garage on North Street is likely to be the only thing open. There's nothing else 24-hour on the route, and it's a long way yet to Sedbergh. If it is early enough, there's a Costa and loads of stuff but you'll have to ride into town.

ETA [20/06/18] Ripon has a McDonald's, but it's way down at the Harrogate end of town. It may be worth the detour if you really want a sit down and stuff, as it's a long way yet to Sedbergh. According to the internet (and so, caveat randonneur), it's open 24 hours. It'd be easiest just to hack around the bypass to get to it, and going back to the route would take you past the North Road garage anyways: https://goo.gl/maps/YrBaNTsoD352

Masham - there's a Co Op open late on Sunday evening, and obviously plenty of pubs. I'd recommend the White Bear at the Black Sheep Brewery, which is signposted from the route.

I can't think of anything opening late up Wensleydale or Garsdale. Stock up at Ripon!

Day 4

You're on your own as it's the wrong side of the hills for me, but there are loads of places to get grub, and you can nip into Kirkby Lonsdale if you're desperate. I would point out that one rider (Paul Cre) rode straight through on Sunday night last year, and at the time I thought "What a fucking idiot", but after dealing with the crazy trucks on the A683 round Caton, then Monday morning rush hour in Lancaster, I kinda thought he might have done the right thing. I'll see how I feel and might do the same.

Mobile food van in the layby as you enter Kirkby Lonsdale

*They may not have a stamp. I'm sooo tempted to get one made and drop it off.

« Reply #1047 on: 10 June, 2018, 07:27:59 am »
Spar in Troutbeck Bridge is between Windermere and Ambleside. https://www.spar.co.uk/store-locator/hal23615-spar-troutbeck-bridge

The road to the west of Thirlmere is closed until October, they're tidying up the forestry.

« Reply #1048 on: 10 June, 2018, 12:36:46 pm »
Comments on Deano's suggestions:
Day 1
". . . for the long leg to Seascale. Ambleside has a Co Op and a Spar, but you have to fight your way through the one-way system to get to either. There are plenty of options round Windermere, but not much after Ambleside "
Plenty of choice going through Bowness (R@T). You don't want to go into Windermere or Ambleside - it's just wasted time. And as ESL has reiterated: "there's a Spar at Troutbeck Bridge".

"Seascale - large-ish Co Op climbing away from the beach and a takeaway opposite, or a crappy McColl's on the front. Just snacks and supermarket food. Also public toilets on the front. I'd just go to the McColl's."
Coop is better (imo) and there's a post office next door which have given me a nice stamp (and sold ripe bananas) the last two years. Think the 'takeaway opposite Coop' is not open anymore - wasn't last year. (I got a pizza there in '16.) Dive into Gosforth just not worth it.

Nearly all riders will be going through edit: Kendal Keswick after 5pm so all the daytime cafes will be closed. And so will Greggs.

"There's a Spar on the left in Sedbergh (look for the signs for the medical centre) - closes at 10 pm."
Easy to miss. And anyway only the very fastest riders will be there before 10pm (ie about 5 last year made Sedbergh by 9pm last year) and the start at Bispham's an hour later this year.

Day 2
Riders will be through Kirkby Stephen before the shops open (at 7). If they aren't through by 6 they will not be completing Day 2 (my prediction).

Immediately after Stanhope, above Crawleyside, Parkhead Station Cafe - used last year (on Deano's recommendation) opens at 9am. Bacon and egg bap, and coffee iirc: tasty and pretty quick. Worth ringing them (01388 526434) from Stanhope if a group of riders planning to stop. And as a bonus, you're not doing the Crawleyside climb on a full stomach.

"Hexham's a busy town with loads of options. No bike shop, though."
Bykology, Hexham (9am - 4pm) 07415 774937
On right 'soon' (2nd R) after R@T; looks out over bus station next to 'Coffee Cup'.

"Falstone - cafe in the old school." I ate here last year. Again good and quick - a few hundred metres off route.

In Kielder "there's a little shop at the garage on the main road (they do coffee)" Whilst it was open in '16, the garage was not 'manned' last year and no sign of commercial activity there (other than a wood turner).
I went to the village shop - they had run out of milk (Friday at 4pm). It is open till 5:30pm. The SPAR in Newcastleton's the next place (25km further on) and carries rather more stock - it's on the left, next to deno's "Copshaw Kitchen". Shops in Langholm and Lockerbie.

Day 3
Once in Robin Hood's bay, there a village shop on the left hand side, before the drop down to the fish and chip shop.
In Kirkbymoorside, the burger takeaway and shop are both right by the roundabout. Good place for assembling a group for the twilight/dark last (long) 130k to Sedbergh.

Day 4
Mobile food van in the layby as you enter Kirkby Lonsdale

« Reply #1049 on: 10 June, 2018, 02:36:06 pm »
Thanks, chaps - now updated.

There's a good range of options there. Just don't stop at all of 'em.