Author Topic: Plusnet FTTC router/hub  (Read 2051 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Plusnet FTTC router/hub
« on: 09 December, 2019, 06:46:42 pm »
Am thinking about finally upgrading to FTTC. Plusnet will send me their Hub for £7 (a rebadged BT Home Hub as far as I can work out) but initial Googling suggests it's a bit shit.
Our current router is a TPlink Archer D9 which appears not to support VDSL, so in the interests of not creating any more waste than I have to, would there be any mileage in using the Plusnet Hub as a VDSL modem and connecting it to the TPLink router? Or should I avoid the PN Hub at all costs?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

DaveJ

• Happy days
Re: Plusnet FTTC router/hub
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:18:05 pm »
I'm not sure you can use the Plusnet hub like that.  You can't with the home versions of the equivalent BT Hub (Hub 6).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:20:19 pm »
The magic words are "Bridge mode", and a cursory google doesn't look promising.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:22:52 pm »
Fair enough. The more I've Googled the more it looks like a PoS.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2019, 12:04:06 am »
I've been with PN fibre a few years, and I got the Openreach modem & (even worse) router combination pack they used to send out. Two devices to troubleshoot, a few times I had to ring tech support because of stale session errors. Got a TP-Link W9980 modem/router, never looked back. Occasionally, I've had to reboot it to get a working connection. Nothing more…
Despite the waste, I'd suggest buying a new VDSL router.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2019, 12:11:44 am »
A single device probably wastes less electrons, so there's that...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2019, 06:31:55 pm »
I went down the one device route when we went fttc and kept the same device when we moved and went fttp. Fritz ox are the ones all the smart kids are using (though spendy they just work)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2019, 07:02:09 pm »
Saying that, I have no problems with my BT HomeHub.

(Generally you need the BT Homehub if you have BT TV since the set top box needs to do multicast magic with the router in order to make the on-demand channels like BT Sport work.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2019, 07:03:52 pm »
I got one of those Plusnet routers recently, was wondering if it was worth doing anything with it. My TP Link W9980 is still working fine for FTTC.
Though a few years old now, would the newer Plusnet router be any better? Not sure if it is actually the same as a BT Homehub?

Might disable the wifi and use a couple of Ubiquiti access points instead anyway.

« Reply #9 on: 10 December, 2019, 07:07:44 pm »
Ubiquiti

They make good stuff but they're not playing by all of the rules, more GPL violations have surfaced:-

https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2019/oct/02/cambium-ubiquiti-gpl-violations/
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #10 on: 10 December, 2019, 07:53:27 pm »

Though a few years old now, would the newer Plusnet router be any better? Not sure if it is actually the same as a BT Homehub?

The Plusnet router is the same as a BT Hub 5 I think (at least the one we've got is - from about a year ago), just a different colour case and re-branded admin page.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:36:20 pm »
Apparently nobody believed me....

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2019, 09:44:36 pm »
I hadn't looked in the box, to see what it actually is. But yes, seems it is much the same as a Home Hub 5, just slightly different shaped case and colour.
The Home Hub 5 seems to get fairly positive reviews. Though it is a rather old model now, released in 2014. So similar age to my TP Link.

A more modern router could be a lot better for wifi. Can buy the BT Smart Hub for £20 on Ebay. Should work OK with Plusnet FTTC.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #13 on: 21 December, 2019, 08:40:45 pm »
Ubiquiti

They make good stuff but they're not playing by all of the rules, more GPL violations have surfaced:-

https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2019/oct/02/cambium-ubiquiti-gpl-violations/

That is irritating. I use quite a few Unifi devices :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2019, 01:25:13 pm »
Well, after ordering and getting an initial date of 23rd December which I thought was highly unlikely, the BT DSL checker page did change the date to 31st. Not that Plusnet told us.
Today on the way home I noticed a person in hi vis with their arse poking out of our green cabinet and wondered if that was our internets they were jibbling.
Lo and indeed behold and we have no internets so I guess so.
Hopefully it will be back up and running when we get home tomorrow.
Money on it not being?.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2019, 04:50:47 pm »
Openreach?  On a bank holiday?

*consults magic 8-ball*

"Outlook not so good."

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2019, 05:29:16 pm »
I recently moved to Plusnet.  Their hub immediately disappointed by not permitting any change from the default DNS servers  ::-)

So I have reverted to a Netgear 7000 doing the routing / DHCPing / WiFi and an old BT HG612 doing the modeming.

An advantage to the two box configuration is that any change necessitating a reboot of the router does not cause the line to drop.  Line drops risk the DSLAM reducing your sync speed.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2019, 06:42:51 pm »
Bank holiday, today? Not here it's not. 1st & 2nd here.
According to Plusnets ticketing thing the order has been fulfilled today. We'll see if it works tomorrow.
Currently at my brothers in deepest darkest Angus and getting 2.37Mbps.
Oh the huge manatee.

« Reply #18 on: 03 January, 2020, 12:28:36 pm »
I too have moved to plusnet fttc. Using the supplied hub with DHCP turned off and my piHole as DHCP and DNS server. Works fine for me. During the brief time I was using the default plusnet DNS I found out how many intrusive ads 'normal' users have to put up with. Did wonder whether plusnet have some 'arrangment' to insert additional ads.