Author Topic: Sh!te courier thread  (Read 146131 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Sh!te courier thread
« Reply #175 on: 01 January, 2016, 01:11:22 pm »
ParcelForce. Generally, I've had good service from them so I'll regard this as an aberration, but they apparently attempted to deliver a parcel yesterday morning. The card helpfully tells me they've left it for me to 'collect from your local Post office branch'. But it's not at my local PO, which is half a mile away. Neither is it at the local ParcelForce depot, about 2 miles away. It's at a Post Office 4 miles away in another town. WTF???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #176 on: 09 January, 2016, 02:21:39 pm »
So, my washing up was interrupted by the dulcet tones of Rod Hull and his menagerie of drama students.  There's somebody at the door!  And so there was.  Parcel for number 10?  Sure, no problem.

Back to the kitchen sink, and I've barely made a dent in the concretabix when Rod starts up again.

"I think that was for a different road."  Says he.  I examine the parcel.  So it is.  I hand it back, and explain that it's the one parallel to the Brizzle Road, cunningly hidden behind an unlocked gate to stop people using it as a fish boat.

"Thanks!" says he, sheepishly returning to his fuddishly-parked rental van.

It appears that road names are now being truncated after a single character.  And postcodes after the second digit (although having just looked it up, they do rhyme).   :facepalm:

I can only assume he bunged "B29 7" into his twatnav and delivered to the first no 10 he saw.   ???

« Reply #177 on: 09 January, 2016, 02:52:01 pm »
I was once going to have a hire car delivered to my house. The time approached and then passed, so I call Messrs Enterprise to enquire of its whereabouts. 'It's there!', they say. 'No it isn't', I retort. A few minutes later they call back and tell me that it had been delivered to Gxxxxxon Road in Leamington Spa, not Gxxxxxon Close in Warwick (2 miles away). I think a twatnav would have helped on that occasion.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #178 on: 09 January, 2016, 03:03:29 pm »
I once had someone else's car delivered onto my drive by a transporter driver who apparently, couldn't read numbers on doors.

We were in 28. The car belonged to the people in 24. At least he got the right side of the road.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #179 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:08:26 pm »
And a guy from No 10 just appeared to collect his parcel...

ian

« Reply #180 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:42:11 am »
Got several things coming today and blimey, the blizzard of notifications (probably my fault for ticking the boxes). Email, text, you name it. I'm not sure how, since I don't remember even providing my landline number, but I'm getting texts on that too. I didn't even know there was a robot-lady text speaker (reciting a web address really put her through her paces). The only thing I've not had yet is a carrier pigeon or message from the teeming dead.

As a plus, I know my DPD's driver's name, star sign, and favourite TV show. Royal Mail are a bit more cagey with 'my package is out for delivery'. Hermes send messages with the frequency of a teenager on an unlimited monthly text plan.

I've never felt so popular.

« Reply #181 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:06:17 am »
One of my bugbears is the trend (seemingly) for any company you've ever had the misfortune to ever have had the briefest encounter with to want to be an almost intimate part of your life.

The worst offender, in my experience, is AO - the white goods suppliers. I ordered a dishwasher. They sent me a text telling me it would be delivered on dd/mm/yy (whatever it was) and then continued texting and calling twice a day for about a week despite being told to stop making nuisance calls. As a result I'm now hesitant to ever do business with them again.

Having seen, heard of and experienced a few courier fails, if it ever happens again I shall always remember that things can always get worse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-35275855
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

ian

« Reply #182 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:58:06 am »
To be fair, I probably clicked all the notification options. I wasn't expecting stuff to arrive all on the same day (particularly since I didn't order some of it until 9.30pm yesterday evening with a deliver-it-whenever option) hence the flurry of messages, and they're usually useful if I'm out or the wireless doorbell is having one of its periodic sulks (yeah, yeah, needs fixing, it works fine until it doesn't), so I know they've left it behind the porch. DPD is the most useful, because I can track Michael (Sagittarius, Breaking Bad)) like I'm desperately on the edge of a restraining order.

Nice map-based tracking ought to be the default (you hearing me UPS?). I buy something that costs £25 and I can track it to the millimeter, I buy a £1700 computer and it might be delivered by the of the day.

AO phoned me to ask how I was enjoying my new washing machine and dishwasher. I was touched. I didn't know they cared. For the record, I don't think 'enjoy' is really how'd I describe operating the dishwasher. I'm not allowed near the washing machine because apparently I don't know how to wash clothes. It doesn't all go in at the same time and there are allegedly different settings.

« Reply #183 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:35:32 am »
For large deliveries, IMO, only one message is necessary - "we plan to deliver on dd/mm/yy (plus am/pm if they know). If that's not convenient contact us on or before dd/mm/yy to reschedule."

I'm not the village idiot (contrary to popular belief) so I don't need suppliers and couriers making a nuisance of themselves just so I don't forget.

For smaller items I'm happy to know:
  • From the supplier - "Your item has been despatched and the tracking number (if there is one) is nnnnnnnn", followed by
  • From the courier/RM - "Your item is out for delivery" if it really is on the final leg and if I can be bothered to check the tracking for myself. I don't need to know the precise location of the van throughout its journey.

As for washing things - I do all the things that require use of a machine. Despite being fully conversant with all the "machines that go 'ping'" in hospitals Mrs C deftly avoids the dishwasher and washing machine at home. Should I smell a rat?  :-\

ian

« Reply #184 on: 11 January, 2016, 12:17:13 pm »
Map-based tracking is important when you work home alone. You need to know when it's safe to take a long toilet break. There's nothing worse than commencing your bombing run and then hearing the fateful chime of the doorbell.

« Reply #185 on: 11 January, 2016, 12:57:46 pm »
...I'm not allowed near the washing machine because apparently I don't know how to wash clothes. It doesn't all go in at the same time and there are allegedly different settings.
Could you tell Mrs B?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #186 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:24:38 pm »
Surprised this one hasn't made it onto here: -

Man orders Kindle and receives 'tumour sample' in courier mix-up
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #187 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:50:53 pm »
I am still waiting for an item I Buy It Nowed from Fleabay on January 4th.  One page on Fleabay says it was delivered on January 2nd, which is impossible.  Another page on Fleabay says it was delivered on January 5th, which is not impossible but very unlikely unless the seller had a private jet and a car waiting on the runway at Stansted.  It's coming from that Germany, that they have now, y'see.

It hasn't arrived yet.  How long does etiquette consider appropriate before writing Stern Letters to the seller, Fleabay, Deutsche Post, Royal Snail, the Queen and Benedict Cumberbatch (just in case)?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #188 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:47:44 pm »
...I'm not allowed near the washing machine because apparently I don't know how to wash clothes. It doesn't all go in at the same time and there are allegedly different settings.
Could you tell Mrs B?

I could. I'm generally not inclined to argue as I hate washing and still view the laundry basket as a recyclable resource.

Sadly, not shite couriers, everything arrived as promised, they even left it where I asked. None of it was really terribly urgent, but I guess it's modern life that something I order at 9.30pm on a Sunday evening appears on my door step before lunch time Monday. Odds on though, if it was something I desperately needed it would take weeks and they'd lose it not once but twice and then claim I never actually ordered it (that's you, Ikea).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #189 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:54:51 pm »
Odds on though, if it was something I desperately needed it would take weeks

This, combined with the occasional benefit of fondling ergonomics-sensitive equipment before purchase, is surely what keeps the Mega Pan-European Extended Warranty Corporation of Hemel Hempsted, GREAT BRITAIN in business.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #190 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:56:23 pm »
Hurrah: my absent Item arrived this morning :thumbsup:
Bah: The postie b0rked my doorbell :facepalm:

The button has jammed in so it makes an annoying noise, requiring some screwdriverpoken' to heal it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #191 on: 12 January, 2016, 07:11:44 pm »
Better get that sorted.  Once a delivery bod thinks the doorbell doesn't work, they'll never use it again.

« Reply #192 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:49:53 am »
Better get that sorted.  Once a delivery bod thinks the doorbell doesn't work, they'll never use it again.

Our postie must be the Royal Mail's compulsory eternal optimist, it's never worked but he still perseveres

« Reply #193 on: 13 January, 2016, 01:03:59 pm »
No, Royal Mail, the bottom of a 3 foot deep recycling bin is NOT  a good place to leave one parcel, let alone two. There are a number of reasons for this:

1) You are hardly likely to have placed them at the bottom of the recycling bin. You MUST have dropped them to get them in there.

2) I have not told RM, at any time, that my recycling bin is a safe place to leave anything.

3) Sometimes my neighbours put my recycling out for me, as I do for them. There is a small chance that any parcels you have dumped in the recycling bin might be inadvertently disposed of.

4) I am not a f*(&ing orang-utan. I do not have arms long enough to get the parcels out of the recycling bin without a lot of unnecessary f&*ting around.

In future if you are unable to deliver a parcel because I am out leave it with a neighbour or take it back to the depot.

« Reply #194 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:38:22 am »
I booked a parcel pick up on the 18th. economy, supposed to take 36-48 hours.

Picked up on 19th - ok.

It's not out for delivery yet. Still in the depot. That's 3 sodding days to get it to a depot. FFS!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #195 on: 21 February, 2016, 04:06:23 pm »
Ordered a footwear item online, returned to store, ordered a different size,  online again.

Both deliveries by Hermes, for both was advised by text message that item was out for delivery.  Both messages arrived a day later than the item to which they referred!
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #196 on: 21 February, 2016, 07:09:25 pm »
Advised yesterday via a text from IKEA that the period during which they would notify me when $PICTURE_FRAME was back in stock has expired.  Only they never did notify me that it was back in stock, no, I had to prod their webby SCIENCE to find that out.

« Reply #197 on: 05 March, 2016, 09:10:11 am »
Parcelfarce strike again!

Saturday delivery still sat in the local depot. Local depot number on answer machine stating that they're closed but open during 8.00am-12.30pm :facepalm:

What a bunch of useless wankers, this is the third Saturday delivery they've cocked up for me.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #198 on: 05 March, 2016, 05:17:09 pm »
I wasn't expecting today's missed delivery from Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia Logistics until Monday.  How dare they be early!

ETA: I can't imagine it needed to be signed for, nor that it was too big to go through the letterbox though ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #199 on: 05 March, 2016, 05:27:51 pm »
Most of my recent Big River deliveries have been early but we have been in and I haven't found the good courier thread to tell everyone.