Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL lost and found  (Read 13499 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: LEL lost and found
« Reply #25 on: 10 August, 2017, 08:15:03 pm »
This thread needs more Blodwyn Pig...

(Although thinking about it, he'd probably DNF due to the weight of the toolbox.)

« Reply #26 on: 10 August, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »
Found: Snugpak sleeping bag.

Ooops... finally got around to emptying my bags and putting things away. Putting my sleeping bag back into its stuff-sac and discovered I also have its identical twin already in a stuff-sac. So strongly suspect one of my fellow Great Easton volunteers is missing theirs. Have emailed Pat (our control controller) in case they reported it to him but in case you also lurk here, pm me and we'll arrange to get it back to you.

Owner identified, turned out to be the control controller.

« Reply #27 on: 10 August, 2017, 09:31:47 pm »
LOST Anyone want to admit to helping themselves to my ACME cap while it dried out at Barnard Castle?
I left London with an ACME cap as well....and returned with two ;D. Could one be yours? :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 10 August, 2017, 09:41:54 pm »
]Took me ages to dismantle and extract the original broken stiffener and sew in a new one
So I'm not the only one who does this sort of thing! I have a very nice Auk cap acquired from El Supremo and the peak stiffener is in four bits. I'm looking for the ideal piece of foam to put in there.

Foam?
I cut a suitably shaped chunk out of this for mine:

« Reply #29 on: 10 August, 2017, 11:05:54 pm »
LOST

A pair of black "Sock Guy" Arm Warmers with Rasta decal.

Probably was in lost in Louth heading northbound but nothing was found when I looked in lost property on returning south.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #30 on: 12 August, 2017, 01:27:30 am »
Found: Snugpak sleeping bag.

Ooops... finally got around to emptying my bags and putting things away. Putting my sleeping bag back into its stuff-sac and discovered I also have its identical twin already in a stuff-sac. So strongly suspect one of my fellow Great Easton volunteers is missing theirs. Have emailed Pat (our control controller) in case they reported it to him but in case you also lurk here, pm me and we'll arrange to get it back to you.

Owner identified, turned out to be the control controller.

Yeah well, ain't got time for sleep anyway ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 12 August, 2017, 10:13:52 am »
Possibly left at Loughton
Terry Gellissima saddle
Look Keo pedals
Lezyne Super GPS computer
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #32 on: 12 August, 2017, 11:15:39 am »
I traced my helmet as far as the base at Loughton but I'm not sure who to contact to try and recover it :/

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #33 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:02:28 pm »
LOST Anyone want to admit to helping themselves to my ACME cap while it dried out at Barnard Castle?
I left London with an ACME cap as well....and returned with two ;D. Could one be yours? :thumbsup:

Ah - if you were at BC on Wednesday afternoon, after the biblical downpour had hit, then you may well have my lost cap. If you're happy to, PM your address and I will send you a SAE. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #34 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:21:25 pm »
In case this reads someone of the organizators:
my Bagdrop for Edinburgh is lost.
It never reached Edinburgh and it wasnt send back to Loughten
Ridernumber:P36

« Reply #35 on: 16 August, 2017, 09:20:02 pm »
Lost one overshoe at Pocklingon on the way to the North. Left it to dry out on my bike and must have lost it when I cycled to the sleeping area....

« Reply #36 on: 24 August, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
Terry Gellissima saddle
Look Keo pedals

Still very much lost, although I didn't cause them to be thus.  There was a brief moment of hope, but that's now faded. Now going through the expensive prososes of replacing these items. Unfortunately saddle very much irreplaceable as a gift from the late great Jon Jennings.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #37 on: 25 August, 2017, 09:49:13 am »
Helmet update.  The story is that all lost property left at Loughton has been binned.   So I guess that's the end of that

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 25 August, 2017, 10:16:25 am »
That is more than a little disappointing. I don't recall seeing anything on the LEL website or elsewhere giving riders any opportunity to collect lost property. I live in London and was ready to go wherever the lost property was held (Loughton or elsewhere in England) to identify and retrieve HK's and my lost property.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 25 August, 2017, 11:09:04 am »
Terry Gellissima saddle
Look Keo pedals

Still very much lost, although I didn't cause them to be thus.  There was a brief moment of hope, but that's now faded. Now going through the expensive prososes of replacing these items. Unfortunately saddle very much irreplaceable as a gift from the late great Jon Jennings.

:'(

Angstbremser

• Zwei Minuten einwirken lassen
  • not the nature of Audax
« Reply #40 on: 26 August, 2017, 11:08:00 am »
Hello, just found out about this thread.

I lost a white short sleeve Craft baselayer size S. Must have dropped from one of drop bags (hence the name drop bag I suppose), which means it must have been either in Edinburgh or Thirsk.

« Reply #41 on: 28 August, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »
All the low-value stuff, like single arm warmers and gloves, got binned, as did the piles and piles of dirty casual clothing. I did this because experience tells me that this stuff never gets claimed.

I could have photographed it all, posted it on the website and invited people to claim it, but that was just never going to happen.

There was some stuff stolen too. A GPS unit that was handed in vanished a few minutes after it was handed to me. A wallet was handed from van drivers to a volunteer, was never seen again, the cards used in Chingford a few days later. The police are investigating the stolen wallet. I also had a handful of jerseys, £50, some change and sundry tat stolen by someone that I hired. Happily I recovered all of that (except the cash).

I've had requests for a couple of helmets and a couple of pairs of shoes, but they never made it into the van with the control equipment and bag drops.

I still have some lost property to return. There are a couple of bashed phones, a couple of rucksacks, and a very, very expensive Gore jacket that I'm amazed nobody has claimed.

Happy to confirm that HK's stuff is on the way to her. I confirmed this a couple of weeks ago and again last Friday. LWaB did indeed ask to come collect his stuff. I advised him where the stuff was and he never replied.

Vorsprung, please accept my apologies for not looking after your stuff better. I didn't bin helmets or shoes, but that's not to say nobody else did.

Happily we'll have a much better system for 2017 - the rider who very kindly volunteered to post back the bag drops has precisely the sort of logistics setup need to make things much smoother.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 28 August, 2017, 02:15:38 pm »
All the low-value stuff, like single arm warmers and gloves, got binned, as did the piles and piles of dirty casual clothing. I did this because experience tells me that this stuff never gets claimed.

I could have photographed it all, posted it on the website and invited people to claim it, but that was just never going to happen.

There was some stuff stolen too. A GPS unit that was handed in vanished a few minutes after it was handed to me. A wallet was handed from van drivers to a volunteer, was never seen again, the cards used in Chingford a few days later. The police are investigating the stolen wallet. I also had a handful of jerseys, £50, some change and sundry tat stolen by someone that I hired. Happily I recovered all of that (except the cash).

I've had requests for a couple of helmets and a couple of pairs of shoes, but they never made it into the van with the control equipment and bag drops.

I still have some lost property to return. There are a couple of bashed phones, a couple of rucksacks, and a very, very expensive Gore jacket that I'm amazed nobody has claimed.

Happy to confirm that HK's stuff is on the way to her. I confirmed this a couple of weeks ago and again last Friday. LWaB did indeed ask to come collect his stuff. I advised him where the stuff was and he never replied.

Vorsprung, please accept my apologies for not looking after your stuff better. I didn't bin helmets or shoes, but that's not to say nobody else did.

Happily we'll have a much better system for 2017 - the rider who very kindly volunteered to post back the bag drops has precisely the sort of logistics setup need to make things much smoother.

Thanks for your efforts and clarification. I'm really heartened to see HK will get her things back.

Really rotten to see LEL hired a thief! It seemed there was one in every class at school.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #43 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:50:15 pm »

When and where? I didn't see it!

« Reply #44 on: 28 August, 2017, 03:55:04 pm »
By email, replying to your email. You appeared keen to collect it rather than me post it. I pointed out that the kit was in Yorkshire and heard nothing more.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 28 August, 2017, 04:08:43 pm »
Now found in the spam file. Sorry about those settings.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 28 August, 2017, 05:14:10 pm »
I do wonder if some ISPs have overzealous spam traps, which can cause much trouble. I have found travel documents in mine (and ranted elsewhere).

People who don't check their spam files daily might miss some important posts. They aren't ignoring the sender; the spam trap is hiding the post!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #47 on: 29 August, 2017, 08:59:54 am »

Hey, NP it's just one of those things.  Thanks for the update

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 29 August, 2017, 02:27:31 pm »
I do wonder if some ISPs have overzealous spam traps, which can cause much trouble. I have found travel documents in mine (and ranted elsewhere).

People who don't check their spam files daily might miss some important posts. They aren't ignoring the sender; the spam trap is hiding the post!

Standard problem with providing spam filtering as a service, I think.  If it lets any spam through then people moan that it isn't any good, so they turn the sensitivity up...

I have my spaminess thresholds set so that I get an average of a couple of spams a day.  I can't remember the last time I had a false positive.  I'd much rather dismiss the odd spam manually than miss something important.  (I get a lot of automated status messages from servers and the like.  Conversations along the lines of "When are you going to do something about the dodgy disk?" "What disk?" "The one smartd on $server has been emailing us about every night for the last week?" "Uh..?" suggest that Gmail in particular seems to enjoy chucking those in the spam bucket.)

dod

« Reply #49 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:17:55 pm »
I've only just got to this thread - too busy looking at all the photo collections!

Vorsprung, I think I have your Etxeondo cap, I found it in the middle of the road between Alston and Brampton. PM me with your address and I'll stick it in the post.

FOUND: DHB waterproof jacket in flouro yellow, size M. Found on the road not far north of Brampton. It might have been run over once or twice before I picked it up.