Author Topic: Sending a Google Map to a phone  (Read 1333 times)

Sending a Google Map to a phone
« on: 10 August, 2019, 07:59:40 pm »
We are about to go on a longish drive and I have created a route on Google maps that avoids, for the most part, toll roads.  I am happy however to use short sections to avoid major cities.

I have sent the route to my phone, actually a tablet which works well in the car, but the route displayed is the quickest, according to Google, between start and finish ignoring all my diversions and intermediate stops.

Is there a way to get it to follow the exact route?

Thanks

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Sending a Google Map to a phone
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2019, 10:42:28 pm »
it's so complicated to convert a google map route to anything else that I usually just duplicate it manually in gpxeditor or similar and then save it

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2019, 10:49:54 pm »
Not sure if this is possible with the Google Maps app.

You could try Maps to GPX https://mapstogpx.com/
Then load that GPX into another app, eg OsmAnd.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2019, 01:22:54 am »
I tried this a year or two ago - changed Mr Google's route the better to suit my needs - but it always got changed back in transit to the phone.

I gave up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2019, 11:19:17 am »
You could create a route directly in the Gmaps app.
I can add stops to a route and there's a "choose on the map" option if you want to bring the route onto a road you want to use.
It will always try and route you to a better route while out but you can ignore it and it will change back as you pass the road it wants you to go down..
Setting it to cycle option will of course avoid motorways.
I use it in the lorry everyday for work, although I never follow it religiously as it will route me down roads I'm not allowed on.

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2019, 06:10:42 pm »
Thanks for the answers - not what I wanted to hear but TBH what I expected.

I've used Fuaran's suggestion and used Maps to GPX into OSMAnd and it works.  Didn't have the correct maps loaded and had reached my max free download limit so have splashed out on the £3.49 annual subsciption!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2019, 07:25:06 pm »
Thanks for the answers - not what I wanted to hear but TBH what I expected.

I've used Fuaran's suggestion and used Maps to GPX into OSMAnd and it works.  Didn't have the correct maps loaded and had reached my max free download limit so have splashed out on the £3.49 annual subsciption!

Too late now, but if you download osmand maps to your pc from here https://download.osmand.net/list.php and then transfer them to your gadget of choice, you don't run into the 10(?) map download limit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:52:14 am »
Google maps as a feature that avoids toll roads doesn't it, or it used to as I've used it before.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium