Author Topic: Can I capture itvplayer?  (Read 15444 times)

Can I capture itvplayer?
« on: 28 February, 2015, 09:41:31 pm »
OK, so the Humax failed to record all the episodes of Broadchurch and SWMBO is not happy. The missing episodes are available on itvplayer but Mrs P is not agreeable to watching it in front of a PC. Is there any way I can play itvplayer and record the missing episodes and then give her a laptop to watch them on?
(Yes, I know we can just watch live, but rural Broadband is awful and the repeated buffering drives you mad.)

Posted this also in Arts & Entertainment

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Can I capture itvplayer?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:30:55 pm »
Get_iplayer and variants thereof will download ITV Player programmes (without the ads).

« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:46:15 pm »
Any more detailed hints than that? Google finds me details of a plugin that no longer works, and of Get iPlayer Automator, which is MacOS only.

'Course, I might just need to drive Google better.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:47:57 pm »
I had a look at this the other week and got the impression that get_iplayer hasn't been able to do this for a couple of years.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:22:57 am »
I had a look at this the other week and got the impression that get_iplayer hasn't been able to do this for a couple of years.
M. Le Maire is correct AFAIK. I did see a thing called itvdownloader but know nothing about it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2015, 01:09:54 am »
Play it and capture it with a screen capture program.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2015, 01:21:14 am »
I suspect this^ doesn't meet PP's use case satisfactorily.

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2015, 07:18:34 am »
This product is paid for, but it works. When I was looking around at the free offerings and contemplating the potential spyware etc that these things inevitably carry, I decided to lash out for it.

Chris PC videotube downloader pro

You can acquire for free using Trialware (you try some third party thing) if you really want.

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:58:40 am »
Many thanks to all who've taken the time to reply - some helpful stuff there, I shall explore further. Googling around reveals that there seems to be no single 'no-brainer' answer to this. I may contemplate going the ' paid-for' route if I can find something that works.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:01:19 pm »
Why get_iplayer wouldn't download from ITV when Get iPlayer Automator (as I have Macs, what I use) can, pass. Same underlying code, so it does sound a bit nuts. If you've got a friend with a Mac it will work (outputs MP4 so playable on pretty much any platform).

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »
Why get_iplayer wouldn't download from ITV when Get iPlayer Automator (as I have Macs, what I use) can, pass. Same underlying code, so it does sound a bit nuts. If you've got a friend with a Mac it will work (outputs MP4 so playable on pretty much any platform).

That's interesting Stu. I thought that since ITV had changed their stream format, get_iplayer could no longer get it (the plugin for ITV stopped working). Is Getiplayer Automator a fancy front end for get_iplayer? (their website is a bit short on detail, but does claim to work with ITV).

The get_iplayer forums all say the ITV plugin is broken and isn't likely to be mended any time soon.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #11 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:42:17 pm »

That's interesting Stu. I thought that since ITV had changed their stream format, get_iplayer could no longer get it (the plugin for ITV stopped working). Is Getiplayer Automator a fancy front end for get_iplayer? (their website is a bit short on detail, but does claim to work with ITV).

The get_iplayer forums all say the ITV plugin is broken and isn't likely to be mended any time soon.
Yup, it's got all the same options as the CLI version (also available in a Mac variant) with a Mac friendl(ier) GUI ...downloaded the Chris Froome bio this week.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:43:36 pm »

Yup, it's got all the same options as the CLI version (also available in a Mac variant) with a Mac friendl(ier) GUI ...downloaded the Chris Froome bio this week.

hmm.. which plugin is that, and is it Automater specific?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:48:04 pm »

hmm.. which plugin is that, and is it Automater specific?
Sorry,  meant the get_iplayer CLI also works on a Mac (no idea if that can handle ITV, never used it). Automator just runs as a regular OS X application, no mucking about with command lines.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2015, 11:56:57 pm »
Ok. I guess the itv-ness is an Automator thing. Damn.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2015, 07:14:51 am »
If all else fails Pedro could dip a toe into the murky world of torrent downloads; this being how I got to view S1 of "Broadchurch".  Though half the episodes had French subtitles.  Depending on the model you can even upload Stuffs to some Humax PVRs; I prefer to do this with programmes downloaded with get_iplayer.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2015, 07:17:05 am »
Or alternatively usenet binaries - which does less in the way of advertising your dodgy dealings to the world.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2015, 07:40:44 am »
I am given to understand that more than a few usenet providers don't do the .binary froups; I'm pretty sure that news.individual.net doesn't.

« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2015, 08:06:56 am »
The problem with being an ignoramus regarding things digital is that it quickly becomes more of a hassle to learn about the more advanced options than it is just to submit to the marketing hype and pay the ransom and buy something! So I’ve shelled out for Replay Video Capture, which seems to have done the trick. It’s not super quality and the volume is a bit constrained, quite probably because I haven’t yet learnt how to use it fully, but I’ve acquired .mpg files (MPEG-2 format?) of the required episodes of Broadchurch which will run in Windows Media Player on an old XP driven laptop. Sometimes getting Mrs. PP happy again is worth the cost!