Author Topic: Covid passports  (Read 2071 times)

Covid passports
« on: 17 July, 2021, 06:03:59 pm »
I'm not intending to travel, so shouldn't need one.  I don't have a smartphone so can't use the app.  I am double jabbed.   The app apparently has a code which lasts 28 days, I presume it keeps updating.  The letter from the NHS (which I applied for) has no expiry date.

I am seeing more talk of places (nightclubs/restaurants/etc) wanting proof of vaccine status before entry.  But I don't want to be carrying an A4 letter with me at all times as it'll just end up folded, torn, ruined and a nuisance.

My letter has a bar code at the top which says "use this to confirm your NHS covid pass".

Can I photo copy the letter and just have the bar code in my wallet?  Will the places that are allegedly going to be requesting proof going to be able to read this bar code?

Re: Covid passports
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2021, 06:13:09 pm »
Without the rest of the letter will they believe that the barcode has been genuinely issued to you?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2021, 06:16:17 pm »
Didn't you get a little card when you had the jabs?
Can these be used?

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2021, 06:20:17 pm »
Yes I have the card, and it is in my wallet.   I didn't think it was valid as a proof though, hence applying for the letter.  NHS said I had to wait 2 weeks from 2nd jab before I could apply.

I (possibly naively) presume that the bar code is linked somehow to my identity, which I can prove with my driving licence which is already in my wallet.

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2021, 06:23:30 pm »
Without the rest of the letter will they believe that the barcode has been genuinely issued to you?

Even with the whole letter, there's still no proof as I could have photoshopped it.  I have to assume that there is technical magic behind the bar code/QR codes that are all over it.   However it is clearly indicating that the bar code is the thing to use as confirmation.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:48:43 pm »

Even with the whole letter, there's still no proof as I could have photoshopped it.  I have to assume that there is technical magic behind the bar code/QR codes that are all over it.   However it is clearly indicating that the bar code is the thing to use as confirmation.

You need to produce the full letter.  The barcode/QR code can be scanned by authorised bodies to confirm status (presuming they've now get the database links sort out).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:59:37 pm »
The 2D app barcodes are cryptographically signed so cannot be forged. No database access is required to verify them.

(Unless the private key leaks out, which depends on whether or not it’s being managed by one of the more competent bits of the NHS)

ETA: apparently the letters have a 1D serial number barcode for which the above doesn’t apply.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:07:12 pm »
The 2D app barcodes are cryptographically signed so cannot be forged. No database access is required to verify them.

(Unless the private key leaks out, which depends on whether or not it’s being managed by one of the more competent bits of the NHS)

ETA: apparently the letters have a 1D serial number barcode for which the above doesn’t apply.

The NHS App, unlike the Covid App, is managed by one of the competent parts of the NHS.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:23:04 pm »
There is an official NHS Covid app for verifying the 2D bar codes. It shows your name , DOB and vaccine details . The data is all contained in the 2D bar code. So you can scan without needing an Internet connection

Here is the apple version of the verifier https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/nhs-covid-pass-verifier/id1546716320

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:40:07 pm »
I printed our travel cert. out half size and folded it in four. It fits inside a passport etc. quite nicely. QR code scans OK too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2021, 03:30:34 pm »
For Madeira there is an app which allows you to upload name, passport and a copy of the pdf from the nhs app. About 24 hours later the app says the document is verified. 
On arrival we went through a separate channel, they rescanned our nhs app and away we went. Less than 5 additional minutes.
Madeira also provide free Certified rapid antigen test prior to returning home.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Covid passports
« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2021, 10:12:52 pm »
Well, that was easy - I just signed up via the NHS App and I now have a Covid passport for use in the UK and abroad. :thumbsup:

I’ve also downloaded a PDF version for use offline.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:03:14 pm »
Be aware if you’ve printed the “passport” that the domestic and travel ones are different. They use different encryption keys for the 2D  bar code.   So make sure you use the correct printed version  if not taking your phone with you.