Author Topic: Cordless handheld vacuum?  (Read 2138 times)

Cordless handheld vacuum?
« on: 16 October, 2020, 01:01:43 pm »
Any recommendations for a cordless handheld vacuum, preferably one that has an extension on it? I don’t think I want the stick / upright hoover type.

I don’t want to spend more than £100-ish so that rules out the Dysons and several others that get good reviews. I think our full size Miele only cost about £140 on some sort of Amazon deal! On the other hand, sub-£75 handhelds get a significant number of poor reviews.

’Tis for normal household use. Fur attachments not required.

Re: Cordless handheld vacuum?
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:05:50 pm »
An extension is a wise move. We all remember the sudden spate of injuries when Hoover Dustettes were first introduced.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:06:32 pm »
I hear good things about the Makita one...

My MIL has a Dyson thing that she raves about that is completely underwhelming in use.

« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:14:50 pm »

My MIL has a Dyson thing that she raves about that is completely underwhelming in use.

This?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J9JCK5A/?coliid=I3GNROPGA0IBIR&colid=2NK4FI4874DUH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I was looking at that. With battery and charger it’s within budget or thereabouts too expensive  :(  Reviews are good - the one star ones are mostly from people who didn’t realise you need a battery for it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:14:51 pm »
I’ve never been that impressed with our Dyson one and wouldn’t recommend it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:18:25 pm »
An extension is a wise move. We all remember the sudden spate of injuries when Hoover Dustettes were first introduced.

It probably depends on the size of your own extension, I suppose.

I'm in a platonic relationship with a Vax something or other (but I think it was around the £200 mark) and I'm happy with that. As mentioned elsewhere, does a far, far better job than Henry (at carpets anyway). Also the motorbrush (which you do need if you have pets) has headlights. Yes, headlights. You might mock, but it's genuinely useful feature since it highlights the bits you've missed near skirting boards etc.

It's an upright (well, if you attached the brush thing) but the box of tools includes an extension hose.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:40:15 pm »

This?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J9JCK5A/?coliid=I3GNROPGA0IBIR&colid=2NK4FI4874DUH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I was looking at that. With battery and charger it’s within budget or thereabouts too expensive  :(  Reviews are good - the one star ones are mostly from people who didn’t realise you need a battery for it.

Yeah, probably only makes sense if you already have the batteries for other tools.

« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2020, 08:20:13 am »

This?

Yeah, probably only makes sense if you already have the batteries for other tools.

Yeah and Mrs A would take control of my batteries.

Mind you, tha Makita charger is quite quick. We have two Dyson handheld. Mrs A swears at them. A lot.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2020, 09:31:40 am »

I have 18V Hitachi batteries from a cordless drill, which could do with getting used more. In fact, one of them has never been used. So far I have learned that Hitachi is now called Hikoki, and the battery will work with Metabo tools, and that Hikoki, as far as I can see, don’t make a vacuum that suits. The search continues, as it would be good to use those batteries.

Pity the batteries won’t fit that Makita.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2020, 01:54:08 pm »
As Kim suggested on my thread about tools, maybe you can get an adapter to use your Hitachi battery on the Makita vac.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2020, 10:20:26 pm »
I’ve concluded that there is nothing out there within budget that combines the features I’d like and consistently good reviews. >£200 for a good handheld with stick, I think.

Speaking of reviews, every single youtube review I could bear to look at was the same: endless introducing, unboxing, fondling, and general avoidance of the question “does or does not this f*cking thing suck?”, until about 30 seconds from the end when they show a brief bit where something gets hoovered up that would probably disappear up your nostril with a sharp inhale from the next room.

I’ll just get a new version of what I already have, a pure handheld, no extension, minimal gadgets.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:47:26 am »
Yeah, I checked the Blade 2 we have costs £219 (comes with free attachments if you buy it from Vax). It's one of those things where you get what you pay for, but it's genuinely very good. As I was repotting a plant in the middle of the living room floor yesterday, I was forced to grab it before I got told off. Gave the house a quick once-over. The amount of cat fuzz it collects is terrifying. I fear we must have far more than two cats. A herd of them.

« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »
(comes with free attachments if you buy it from Vax)

What are the attachments, and are they any use? John Lewis say you get "Crevice tool, dusting brush, and wall mount" from them. That doesn't sound like fifty quids' worth.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:20:50 pm »
(comes with free attachments if you buy it from Vax)

What are the attachments, and are they any use? John Lewis say you get "Crevice tool, dusting brush, and wall mount" from them. That doesn't sound like fifty quids' worth.

Well, I don't know about the actual value, but in addition to the stuff above, the extra stuff included an extension hose, super-bendy crevice tool, a little brush for smaller messes, and better dusting brush. The hose and the super-bendy nozzles are quite useful and were effectively free, so I'm not complaining.

« Reply #15 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:10:03 pm »
Thanks, ordered one from vax. They give the same guarantee as JL. I guess the never undersold doesn't go as far as the "free" extras.

ian

« Reply #16 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:27:31 pm »
The headlights will be awesome. Honestly, they're the best thing ever to happen to vacuum cleaning.

« Reply #17 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:26:11 pm »
It's great and my cleaner loves it. She wanted a gtech, but if you want to do stairs with one of those you have to buy a whole other machine, with the package coming out at 350 quid.

It's clearly marketed at demographic that doesn't include me or my cleaner: PWR! BLADE4! and shaped like a chainsaw.

And yes the headlights are absolutely awesome. As was the amount of dust I never knew was there without vacuum cleaner headlights  ::-)