Author Topic: Six Nations 2013  (Read 24868 times)

Re: Six Nations 2013
« Reply #25 on: 04 February, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »
Three damn fine matches. Couldn't ask for more.

I too was struck by the beardiness on display.

I was a little uncertain about moving the Italian home matches to the Stadio Olimpico, because I wasn't sure it would be filled, but having seen it packed out yesterday, it was definitely the right thing to do. The FIR may be wondering if moving back to the Stadio Flaminio after its enlargement will be wise, after selling tickets to 50% more people for yesterday's game than it'll have room for.

I missed the man of the match for the Italy-France match. Was it Orquera (Italian no. 10)? Ah - Wikipedia says he was. Well deserved.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 04 February, 2013, 02:41:40 pm »
Orquera was excellent but the best No.10 performance this weekend was Farrell. Outstanding in every area of the game - looks like he's really starting to deserve the "new Johnny Wilkinson" tag, especially for that pass to Parling.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 04 February, 2013, 03:03:18 pm »
That pass had no place in an England side  ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »
It would have made no difference to the result, but I thought the referee was a bit lenient with some forward passes in the England game. One in particular that I spotted, which was in fact a scoring pass I think, was commented on my Brian Moore on the replay.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #29 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:20:56 pm »
Grasping at straws in the same way that a Welsh winger grasps at a Jonathan Davies pass. ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #30 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:22:05 pm »
Clutching at straws in the same way that a Welsh winger clutches at a Jonathan Davies pass. ;)

Brian Moore spotted it too. Was he clutching at straws?

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:24:37 pm »
I don't think I've ever heard Brian Moore say something I agreed with.

d.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #32 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:41:31 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21306487

The first try in the second half. Looked pretty clear to me.

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 04 February, 2013, 05:53:28 pm »
Youngs' pass to Twelvetrees? Marginal. Looked flat to me. Flattish. Doesn't matter anyway - referee gave it.

For what it's worth, I remember Brian Moore commenting on it at the time, but ISTR he wasn't convinced either way. But seriously, who cares what Brian Moore thinks about anything?  ;D

d.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #34 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:05:53 pm »
Youngs' pass to Twelvetrees? Marginal. Looked flat to me. Flattish. Doesn't matter anyway - referee gave it.

For what it's worth, I remember Brian Moore commenting on it at the time, but ISTR he wasn't convinced either way. But seriously, who cares what Brian Moore thinks about anything?  ;D

d.

Surely it only matters if you agree with him?  ;)

« Reply #35 on: 05 February, 2013, 12:15:24 am »
If I found myself in that position, I'd have to stop watching.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #36 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:31:54 pm »
Sacre bleu et merde aussi!!!!!!! Thats a turn up. Wish I'd got tickets for Scotland vs Italy now rather than the Irish match.
I did!  ;D Can't wait now - it'll be a bit epic!

So have I now!!!!!!! A work colleague of Mrs M has 2 spare.
She's half Scots  so can wear the blue shirt. For one day I shall be Scottish as well, my qualification is my ginger hair ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #37 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:45:25 pm »
A friend was at the match. He was in line with that glorious long pass.

Apparently it looked better on telly  ;D

« Reply #38 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:30:55 am »
Sacre bleu et merde aussi!!!!!!! Thats a turn up. Wish I'd got tickets for Scotland vs Italy now rather than the Irish match.

She's half Scots  so can wear the blue shirt. For one day I shall be Scottish as well, my qualification is my ginger hair ;D
I'll cop out and wear either my Lions '95 or Royal Navy rugby shirts. I can't quite bring myself to wear another country's colours!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #39 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »
When I worked for an Irish company we regularly went to watch the boys in green. 
The first time I was invited,  I asked my boss if I should wear a green shirt, to blend in .
He looked at me and wagged his finger saying "If you do that , you will burst into flames. "
So, no, I won't be wearing a blue shirt. But as Mrs M will be , as her mum was born in Lanarkshire.

« Reply #40 on: 08 February, 2013, 09:58:44 pm »

I'll be cheering on the team in blue. Y'know, the bunch that won their last game.  ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #41 on: 09 February, 2013, 02:52:00 pm »
Oh dear. That's a bit unfortunate. The shorts & panels on the jerseys of the Scots aren't really a sufficiently different shade of blue from the Italian kit.

Why the different shades for Scotland? Last week they were wearing black, or a blue so dark it might as well have been. They could have worn this week's shade of blue then, with no possibility of confusion with English white & red, & last week's shade now, & been more distinct from the Italians.

Never seen that before. Ball thrown straight at the ref's head. Accident, of course.

citoyen

Six Nations 2013
« Reply #42 on: 09 February, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »
Well, I predicted Scotland would win comfortably* but not this comfortably. Who was that hapless buffoon in the 10 shirt who looked a bit like Orquera?

Predictions for the other games: Wales and England to win.

d.

*Honest, I did - in the pub last night.

« Reply #43 on: 09 February, 2013, 04:17:10 pm »
Yeah. That pass that sealed the game was a shocker. Too, too easy to intercept. But for that, there should have been an Italian try, easy to convert, and still game on.

citoyen

Six Nations 2013
« Reply #44 on: 09 February, 2013, 05:22:29 pm »
Yeah. That pass that sealed the game was a shocker. Too, too easy to intercept.

I thought it was less an interception than a pass to Hogg.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #45 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »
The French pitch is more like a building site.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #46 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:49:40 pm »
WHALES! WHALES! WHALES!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #47 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:55:01 pm »
ambergris!

(Made in whales ;))  I'll need to catch up on highlights later.  What odds France to spoil England's future party plans?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #48 on: 09 February, 2013, 07:00:10 pm »
Playing like the last two games, not much.

Ireland on the other hand probably go into tomorrow's match as favourites
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #49 on: 09 February, 2013, 07:16:44 pm »
It's becoming very interesting this year. Wales won't find it easy at Murrayfield but I think, with Italy reverting to type (I didn't watch either match but the score & highlights were pretty informative) they ought to win in Rome. England won't fin it easy in Cardiff as Wales always raise their game against them.

Tomorrow's match could be a championship decider.

Edit: this isn't Dez. It's Wowbagger commandeering Dez's computer.