Author Topic: Bites yer legs no more  (Read 2159 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Bites yer legs no more
« on: 17 April, 2020, 12:10:11 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007

I remember him from the 1970 FA Cup Final, losing the replay.
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Bites yer legs no more
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2020, 12:58:36 pm »
RIP Norman

I'm with Brian Clough on that Leeds era.  Norman has an enviable record but it's odd that they don't mention his part in Leeds's defeat at the hands of Sunderland in the 73 final - when Sunderland were in the second division.  Yes, that is odd.

But Covid is a horrid way to die and 76 is young these days.

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:16:16 pm »
Well....strange how we react to loss sometimes, but I was genuinely well sad when I heard this today.
Along with many others, he was part of my footballing youth.

There is something undeniably endearing about Norman Hunter - a tough uncompromising player, as well as being a decent ball player who could read the game extremely well, but there is one very consistent thread that has been running through all the accounts I've been listening to today - and that is his generosity of time towards others and general warmth as a person. Somehow that matters just as much these days.

RIP

Edit: It's easy to forget that he was part of the 1966 squad as a youngster, went to Mexico in 1970, and as fort 1974...well, we all make mistakes I guess!...and kept out of the England team for all those years by a chap called Bobby Moore. Alf Ramsey must have seen something in him.
Garry Broad

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2020, 10:55:19 pm »
Very sad that he won't get the send off he deserved. I reckon they would have had to shut down half of Leeds if his coffin were to go anywhere near Elland Road. Leeds legend but wanted to play for the Magpies first then Don Revie snapped him up as a 15 year old.
Just watched bits of the 72 Cup Final. At the end, it's Norman who helps Mick Jones ( who had dislocated his collar bone) up the steps to collect his medal.
Peter,  we'll never forget the 73 Final, but it's just another day on the roller coaster ride that is fandom. As a Sunderland supporter you will appreciate that at the moment.

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:40:38 am »
Actually, I'm a Toon supporter but not one of the rabid ones - I follow all the North-east clubs, in desperation to find a good one!  I'll never forget 73, though - my friend lent me the key to his house so I could watch the final (he was away).  The key snapped off in the lock and I had to use secret skills to break in!

Not sure if my loyalties will survive Toon being taken over by a crowd of Saudi murderers, but.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:08:31 am »
Very sad that he won't get the send off he deserved. I reckon they would have had to shut down half of Leeds if his coffin were to go anywhere near Elland Road. Leeds legend but wanted to play for the Magpies first then Don Revie snapped him up as a 15 year old.
Just watched bits of the 72 Cup Final. At the end, it's Norman who helps Mick Jones ( who had dislocated his collar bone) up the steps to collect his medal.
Peter,  we'll never forget the 73 Final, but it's just another day on the roller coaster ride that is fandom. As a Sunderland supporter you will appreciate that at the moment.

My Mate Terry, Who Art In Sibton, is a Sunderland supporter and he went to the '73 final. It was in our first year at college.

I was at his house on the occasion of Sunderland's other notable achievement.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-after-364-days-sunderland-have-actually-won-a-game-20171216

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:40:07 pm »
This was just as notable.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25740123   

Back in the days when I got paid to go to Old Trafford , I went to this game and applauded a Sunderland win.
To see the fans in the far corner jumping up and down 10 minutes after the game ended  was quite something.
There were other Leeds fans in the stadium who also were supporting Sunderland.Everyone loves a team that beats MUFC.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:45:48 pm »
Come to think of it, Terry treated me to a ticket for Southend v Sunderland when both were championpremiership teams. T It was an early season game on a lovely day and quite a lot of people had travelled rom Sunderland in order to hurl abuse at their players. Southend won 3 - 1 and that result was probably a bit flattering fro Sunderland.

How both teams flattered to deceive! At the end of the season, Sunderland were champions and Southend were relegated. I was going to say that that was probably 2014 or thereabouts but the internet tells me it was 2006...

Edit: edited due to the slip of the brian as pointed out to me in the post immediately following this one.

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2020, 05:00:28 pm »
Which premiership was that, then ?!  Dreams intrude.....

« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2020, 11:41:59 am »
But where would we be without dreams?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2020, 12:04:46 pm »
In Southend?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2020, 12:10:29 pm »
In Southend?  ;D

Nightmares count as dreams you know.