Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576918 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #825 on: 08 October, 2011, 10:08:08 pm »
It's not much fun I'll agree. That's why I used to avoid being captain if at all possible :D

The simplest system I ever saw was the club captain (all 6 teams!) of Netherton in the Huddersfield league. He used to have a list of players in grade order with contact details for each player and work down it one by one.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #826 on: 08 October, 2011, 10:20:49 pm »
My system is similar: I have my list essentially in order of how often they have agreed to play at far flung away venues though.  :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #827 on: 10 October, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »
Slave trader,

There's no need to get all bent out of shape because I've told you I'm not interested in a job developing front-end/user-interface software. There's a genuine reason why I'm not interested: my user interfaces tend to look like the sort of thing that Helen Keller would come up with after dropping some bad acid. Seriously.

Get a grip, take a deep breath and move on to the next person on your list.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #828 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »
I nearly ran over a child earlier (girl, can't have been older than 10), who ran across the very busy road in the dark across without looking. Luckily my passenger shouted and I wasn't going very fast, so I managed to stop within a few metres. She ran on into a shop and I turned around and tried to find her without success, so I can only guess I didn't hit her...

Road safety... Start young is a good idea.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #829 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:27:45 pm »
Just looked up my trains to Oban on Tuesday and realised that the Virgin train to Glasgow comes from Mordor not the Smoke.

That's going to mean Super Voyager dangly bike spaces and unloading all my panniers instead of a level storage Pendolino :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #830 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:30:33 pm »
Just noticed I've missed 14 pages of this thread.  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #831 on: 12 October, 2011, 12:17:37 am »
Brent online school application form:
if I specify applicant has no sibling in need of schooling, please not to ask me its gender and stop form processing because of failure to answer a mandatory field.
We have decided non-existent sibling is male.
13 year old Romanian school applicant thinks your coding is poo.
Who needs education?

(I was helping my cleaning lady and her son through lovely bureaucracy; son arrived from Romania two weeks ago.)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #832 on: 12 October, 2011, 12:24:02 am »
Yay for helping cleaning lady through bureaucrazy.  My mum once did that for one of her clients and the jobcentre because the lady was despite having good English completely confused and my mum could do "no, stop being wankers, just fucking do it" at them in polite but pissed off Scottishspeak.

I hope things go smoother from now on for cleaning lady and her son.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #833 on: 12 October, 2011, 12:35:40 am »
So do I. Gave them printout of the form and explained they must be absolutely consistent with spellings, dates and all petty details given if not sure of answers, especially the gender of the non-existent sibling...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #834 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:20:49 am »
GRRR... bloody chess season started up again.

1 e4 ;D

More seriously, why is that a grumble?
Chess has a season?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #835 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:56:33 am »
Chess has a season?

Presumably when the queens aren't preoccupied with reproduction...   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #836 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »
I'm currently not participating in one of the local cycling campaign group's Wednesday evening rides, because I  a) hit myself in the face with a pair of pliers and  b) am generally feeling an overwhelming sense of meh.

I don't suppose we could have summer back, could we?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #837 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:58:20 pm »
that sounds almost as daft as me hitting myself in the face with a pan. twice.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #838 on: 12 October, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »
Respiratory system: while I appreciate that you've behaved pretty well over the summer and I've lost far less cycling time that I did last year, just before I'm due to give some lectures (on two successive days, at that) isn't the best moment to play up.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #839 on: 12 October, 2011, 11:35:06 pm »
Brent online school application form:
if I specify applicant has no sibling in need of schooling, please not to ask me its gender and stop form processing because of failure to answer a mandatory field.
We have decided non-existent sibling is male.
13 year old Romanian school applicant thinks your coding is poo.
Who needs education?

(I was helping my cleaning lady and her son through lovely bureaucracy; son arrived from Romania two weeks ago.)
Sounds as daft as Bristol's school application forms. The only detail I recall from that now is having to choose the LEA of his previous school from a drop-down list which, surprise surprise, did not include any in Poland! Perhaps it's a Br... thing? Somehow I doubt if it's alphabet specific, though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #840 on: 13 October, 2011, 09:24:05 am »
Yes, chess has a season. Local leagues tend to follow the football season. In the summer people tend to find better things to do. Weekend tournaments carry on all year round and the British Championship takes place over a fortnight starting late July. This always used to be our family holiday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #841 on: 13 October, 2011, 12:00:13 pm »
Slave trader, 'no' means 'no', mmkay?
Unless, that is, you can provide me with a job spec and company info that wasn't written by a marketing hipster who's evidently been hitting the nose ajax a little too hard.

« Reply #842 on: 13 October, 2011, 06:49:39 pm »
Just once, well, no, just A LOT, I would like to work for a company that doesn't offend the morals I would have if I could afford them.
If you see what I mean.

Cheap foreign labour doing stuff that was once done for proper wages in BRITON, by BRITONS but is now done by Indian children.
Factory Farming of pigs.
Petrochemicals.
Factory Farming of cows.

It would be quite nice to work somewhere, well, even a leetle bitty bit ethical.

LindaG

« Reply #843 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:05:05 pm »
That Betty Crocker.  Can't stand her.

« Reply #844 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »
That Betty Crocker.  Can't stand her.

What's she done?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #845 on: 18 October, 2011, 08:35:47 am »
Gym - can you make an effort to get in towels that are all the same size?  I tend not to notice if I've been given a smaller one until I go to wrap it around my wait and have a momentary panic as I think "there's not as much overlap as last time - have I put on that much weight?!?".  I have my fill of momentary panics on my commute, thankyouverymuch.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #846 on: 18 October, 2011, 11:59:52 am »
Eldest daughter: 10pm is not a good time to do homework, especially when you've been reading books/watching TV all evening. 8am on the other hand, is even worse. Start doing your homework on time or your teacher finds out you've been forging (our) signatures to say your homework is done.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #847 on: 18 October, 2011, 01:14:14 pm »
Nose, stop running, I'm really bored of the cold now.
Guts, stop making 'poing' noises like I'm stewing up an enormous guff. It's really off-putting.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #848 on: 18 October, 2011, 01:19:25 pm »
Eldest daughter: 10pm is not a good time to do homework

I always used to do homework late at night.  The delayed sleep phase which isn't exactly uncommon in teenagers meant I was more alert after 10pm and unlikely to sleep before about 2am anyway, so I might as well get something useful done.  It also meant I could get some sleep in the early evening when I was actually sleepy, didn't miss out on the decent telly and was able to work without sibling distractions.

My parents eventually accepted this when it became apparent that I was, impossible tasks[1] excepted, actually getting the work done, stopped nagging, and generally went to bed leaving me to get on with it.

[1] Art and French were the main offenders, based, as they often were, on an ability to produce art or understand French.  Unlike cargo-cult subjects like English Lit, throwing hours at the problem rarely helped.

« Reply #849 on: 18 October, 2011, 01:32:45 pm »
Were you like that at 12, Kim? Bear in mind she is also a slug-a-bed & hard to rouse at 7.15am*. Working later will only make that worse, I fear.

*Aren't we all, but needs must.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.