Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514010 times)

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3625 on: 12 September, 2020, 09:32:08 am »
just FTR, anyone that has a Weber Smokey Joe, a spatchcock chicken fits perfectly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #3626 on: 12 September, 2020, 02:27:43 pm »
Today: ginger/garlic/honey prawns with MrsT's Chinese noodles. Took the dogs out afterwards and when we came in again the garlic met us at the door.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3627 on: 22 September, 2020, 10:23:44 am »
How long would you leave a pork pie at room temperature, and still eat it...   ;)  Two melton mowbrays from Sunday's ride + left in bag - 6hrs ish. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3628 on: 22 September, 2020, 11:45:16 am »
How long would you leave a pork pie at room temperature, and still eat it...   ;)  Two melton mowbrays from Sunday's ride + left in bag - 6hrs ish.

On a recent-ish ride, I bought a 2-pack of pork pies mid-ride, ate one immediately, saved the other for later and forgot about it... I ate it later and here I am to tell the tale. I think as long as it stays well wrapped up and not too warm, 6hrs is not too risky. I imagine British supermarket pork pies are pretty inert.

I don't think the same would be true of all processed meat products though. The second worst case of food poisoning I've ever had was after I tried a free sample of pate in a French supermarket. No idea how long that had been out of the fridge.

(The pate incident held the number one spot in the chart of worst food poisoning experiences for a long time, until a couple of years ago when I fell foul of a dodgy oyster.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #3629 on: 22 September, 2020, 12:00:49 pm »
It should be fine. It's a cooked meat product, so any microbes will have been killed during pie-ification.

The only recent food poisoning incident I had was probably down a free sample – basically, never take anything from a plate that multiple random people have been touching. If nothing else, we've all seen other people's attitudes to post-toilet behaviour. Do a crap. Wipe hands on trousers. Depart.

« Reply #3630 on: 22 September, 2020, 07:20:53 pm »
Standard food safety guideline is 4 hours out of a fridge is ok, isn't it? I'd eat it, though probably wouldn't try and refrigerate it any further.

ian

« Reply #3631 on: 22 September, 2020, 07:32:37 pm »
The pie would have been sterile when it came out of the oven. If it's in a sealed air-tight package, it'll probably keep for a while, if it's unsealed it'll slow get colonized by bugs (outside and eventually inside). But few of those will be pathogenic. We seem to have a fear of meat products and food poisoning. In reality, you're just as – if not more likely – to get your Escherichia coli and friends from a salad or other uncooked veg. No one frets about a carrot left out on a counter all day. Think of the indefatigable doner, turning day on day. OK, it's possible no bacteria is drunk enough to live on it.

Raw meat on the other hand, which may be contaminated, should always be refrigerated. Fruits de mer are a special case, bad ones have usually picked up something from their own dinner, they're mostly filter feeders and accumulate toxins from algae.

I'd eat a day old, unrefrigerated pork pie, no fuss. I've certainly consumed many a vintage sausage roll with no ill-effect.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3632 on: 23 September, 2020, 10:27:47 am »
Years ago there was an outbreak of dire food-poisoning* in an old-folks' home here after the cook sliced veal and then made salad with the same knife.  IIRC Janet nearly killed Dr. Cameron the same way, back before I started to shave. "It's a guid stainless-steel knife, Doctor Finlay, it only needs a wipe with a damp cloth".

* as opposed to dire-food poisoning, available in station buffets everywhere.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3633 on: 23 September, 2020, 02:53:55 pm »
Similarly, wsan't there a major outbreak in Germay a few years ago amongst a bunch of aged vegetarians, linked to not washing the bean sprouts
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #3634 on: 23 September, 2020, 05:41:42 pm »
Similarly, wsan't there a major outbreak in Germay a few years ago amongst a bunch of aged vegetarians, linked to not washing the bean sprouts

Most of the major outbreaks have been down to (improperly) washed veg. There was a huge outbreak in the US from contaminated spinach.

Generally, food poisoning is down to processing (for both meat and veg – poor practice – and also intensity, so industrial animal farming and slaughter). Poultry has a bad reputation because of the intensive farming and ease of cross-contamination during slaughter and processing. Another reason not to buy it, were it needed.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3635 on: 30 September, 2020, 11:18:53 pm »
Moulding chocolate with holograms.
https://youtu.be/UsDnkrDvkBo

nicknack

• Hornblower
Subway "bread" isn't bread in Ireland.  ;D
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/01/irish-court-rules-subway-bread-is-not-bread
Can't say I'm surprised.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

I like Subway sandwiches even though I'm sure they're somehow evil.

I think, in part, because they put filling in them. I don't know where the British went wrong. We invented the sandwich, but like so many things, became absolutely crap at them. Though weirdly we were having some success exporting Pret back to the world. I'm not sure what kind of insanity sent the denizens of NYC into the clammy mayonnaise grasp of a Pret when they have actual delis.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's not the fillings though, it's the bread. Or the sugar-based, wheat-associated bakery product. I don't know if they have Pret in Ireland but I'd be surprised if its version qualified as bread or staple food under the same rules.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
If it's not bread then it must be CAEK.  And who doesn’t want sarnies made with CAEK?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

In America though, the bread is indistinguishable from the item we call cake. It's something of a shock to the foreign palette.

I remember the first time I arrived in the US. Firstly I spent a long, long time explaining the composition of the UK to the border guy on the Canada-US border (I'm guessing Buffalo doesn't see a lot of tourists). And then having finally arrived at my girlfriend's house, her mother presented me with a sandwich (most interactions in the US involve food). I took a big bite.

"I think your boyfriend is having a seizure," might have been her words, as they both looked on. I think I was just coughing up my pancreas.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
The sugary comparison table in The Guardian article reads like a re-working of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" (That night he had type 2 diabetes and a tummy ache)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

It's a bit misleading, the graph isn't comparing the proportion of sugar by weight, or considering the fact that most people eat an entire packet of biscuits.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
In America though, the bread is indistinguishable from the item we call cake. It's something of a shock to the foreign palette.

US tourists in the UK must find the 'Victoria sandwich' comforting.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

As a first-order approximation, the only thing USAnian tourists anywhere find comforting is the phrase or saying “Flight 105 to USAnia is now boarding” :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Quite likely, though they'd complain about the lack of bacon. In addition to pouring more sugar on things than Def Leppard if they were sponsored by Tate & Lyle, everything has to include bacon. It's a nation united by bacon sprinkles. Maple-glazed bacon sprinkles. Stand still enough in some parts of the US and you'll find that someone has snuck up and maple-glazed you. It's hyperglycaemia as a lifestyle choice. It's no place to be a pancreas.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Has anyone tried a 'Full Monty' canned breakfast?

At £1.60 for 26 grams of protein, with modest quantities of sugar, this seemed fair value for days when you just can't be arsed to work on food.

I am curious but have not ordered this yet...

Has anyone tried a 'Full Monty' canned breakfast?

At £1.60 for 26 grams of protein, with modest quantities of sugar, this seemed fair value for days when you just can't be arsed to work on food.

I am curious but have not ordered this yet...

That'll be the Sainsbury's price then, Tesco has it for £1.25.

And no, but I hate BITS.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

We ate our one and only pear this evening. It was lovely!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Tried to make crispy oven sweet potato chips tonight, and failed.  The pan had goose fat and coconut oil heated.  The potatoes were chopped in to chips and the put in a bowl with a glug of oil and then coated with cornflour with a pinch of smoked paprika.  Cooked in a fan oven at 180.

The chips didn't come out crunchy, kept the shape of a chip but not crunchy.  So wondering what I did wrong.  Could it be that the pots were old and had little sprouts on them?