Author Topic: Maxine Peake's play "Beryl" - next chance next week.  (Read 1679 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Maxine Peake's play "Beryl" - next chance next week.
« on: 18 March, 2017, 10:45:29 pm »
I've just been to see the last night of Maxine Peake's play "Beryl" at the New Vic in Newcastle-under-Lyme. What an absolutely wonderful, warm hearted, witty, funny, touching tribute to an amazing woman.

If you haven't seen it, you must at first opportunity. If you are in the scarborough area, the same team are putting it on at the Stephen Joseph Theater next week, 21st to 25th March.

https://www.sjt.uk.com/event/271/beryl

Go for it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Maxine Peake's play "Beryl" - next chance next week.
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2017, 11:15:40 pm »
I recommend this product/service.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2017, 11:40:06 pm »
" Dead good". - Basil.

Seriously, if you're in the area, try to see it.  It's very good.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2017, 05:57:23 pm »
Seconded. Here's what I had to say about it here.

"Really rather good. Mrs h was prepared to be stultifyingly bored but humoured me by agreeing to come.
"What a surprise. Funny, touching, well produced. A genuine delight. Both her and little miss h thoroughly enjoyed it."
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2017, 10:21:46 am »
Is the stage version similar to Peake's radio play, i.e. little vignettes from across Burton's career?

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2017, 11:07:25 am »
I never heard the radio play but I'm guessing that the stage play follows the same format.

Extract from Wikipedia

"The radio play was adapted by Peake for the stage to coincide with the start of the Tour de France in Leeds, and shown at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in June and July 2014 titled simply Beryl. The play returned for a second run at the West Yorkshire Playhouse a year later in June and July 2015, followed by an autumn 2015 tour around England."
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2017, 11:33:31 am »
Right, ta - the radio play was re-broadcast a month or two ago so I caught it on the iPlayer.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2019, 10:00:24 pm »
Beryl is running at the Arcola Theatre in Dalston until 16th November.  We saw it last week, very good.