Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Grow Your Own / Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 11:30:22 am »
Big effort on the veg patch this morning before heading into the office (at home).  Mostly trying to dig up the thistles, roots intact after having pulled up the dead peas and tidied away the netting.

Lots of cucumbers outdoors getting big, the small crystal apple cucumber in the greenhouse is finally fruiting.  Harvested the first of the early sowing radicchio, some chard, courgettes and a few windfall apples, Lady Hollendale. Also planted out a few strawberry runners.  My tomatoes were also a bush variety this year and already mostly done.
Further and Faster / Re: Base training
« Last post by rob on Today at 11:28:37 am »
I have a basic Tacx magnetic turbo with 10 resistance settings.  At the moment I do everything, apart from my warm down on level 4.  For intervals I’m doing anything between 95 and 140rpm, recoveries are 50-60rpm.   Warm down is 100rpm but on resistance setting 1, slowly dropping to 50rpm over 10 minutes.  I never stop pedalling during a turbo session.

Nothing any cleverer than that.
Audax / Re: Thanet Platinum Audax, Saturday 1st September 2018
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 11:26:54 am »
Note for anyone still thinking about it: entries close on 27th August - unfortunately, I don't have a legion of helpers so I won't have the capacity to process entries on the line, hence I need to be quite strict about that.
Food & Drink / Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Last post by T42 on Today at 11:19:17 am »
Had a cappu with Mrs T in the heart of downtown Haguenau this morning.  They didn't know to knock the steaming jug on the counter to burst the bigger bubbles.
Chum of mine lives close to one of the Army's favourite helico playgrounds and gets subjected to this sort of thing a couple of times a week:

https://youtu.be/Vl6-00wJrzA

Sorry re crappy video: January light, small cam, etc.
Audax / Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Last post by LittleWheelsandBig on Today at 11:13:15 am »
Perhaps I have misunderstood the situation but the labour-intensive aspect I've been talking about does not relate to maintenance of the AUK website, coding, etc but actually relates to what the events team needs to do to input, modify and transfer data. I don't argue that the website is a hell of a lot more efficient than individuals working solely at desktops but the events team seem to have a lot of drudgery that could be further automated. Perhaps someone from the events team could expand on this point?
Audax / Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Last post by Exit Stage Left on Today at 11:09:20 am »
I've been a member of a number of organisations which have succumbed to 'folies de grandeur'. Some have been in the conservation field.

An activity becomes fashionable, and a national body, with regional roots, feels it should reflect that growth. The membership contains ambitious young professionals, who identify inertia in the governance, focusing on surpluses. The younger members take control, and initiate a prestige project. The prestige projects drains the coffers, and there's a financial crisis. The young Turks retire with their fingers burnt, and someone from the old guard is left carrying the can.

Where the organisation has regional roots, largely autonomous groups local groups continue the work. Those groups often mirror the political problems at the centre, but not all at the same time, so the whole system is relatively stable.

The central group seeks to address its financial problems by applying for lottery grants or the like. Those grants tend to carry duties to promote diversity, or address disadvantage. That tends to give rise to a demand for images of unlikely participants, to indicate progress towards those goals.

The current fashion in this type of social outreach through community groups is 'Men in Sheds'. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/men-in-sheds/ Such initiatives have identified retired and unemployed older men as a group in need of activities which provide companionship and exercise.

The current Cycle magazine from the rebranded CTC mag features a group of this type in the Glasgow area. It may have occurred to Cycling UK that they've got a membership which conforms to the criteria for funding, without needing to recruit from a more diverse base.

AUK is in a position to deliver a kind of outreach work for older men, as that's what it does already. It would require bit of creative work on a lottery bid, probably promoting phase 2 and 3 of the IT contract as needed to enhance social functions. Cycling UK are probably going down that route already though.

The alternative is to rely on the regional roots of long distance cycling, and to coordinate central functions through another platform. Sites such as YACF might do that, as an extension of current activity.

Another possibility is being subsumed by Cycling UK, as OCD was by AUK. Audax could be marketed as the home of cussed hardriders.

AUK's membership profile is an advantage in the current climate, not a disadvantage. I'd see the main problem being that funding opportunities might create more 'folies de grandeur'.

In the 1980s I was unemployed, and found salvation in the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers. That organisation had a local grassroots function, but the centre advertised more adventurous 'working holidays' in remote areas. The feel of long Audaxes recalled the rigours and camaraderie of those 'Tasks' as they were called. BTCV rebranded itself as TCV, and now the National Trust is the group providing residential working holidays in remote areas. The activity continues, but not where it originally did. There are also expensive quasi-commercial equivalents.
Further and Faster / Re: Base training
« Last post by DuncanM on Today at 10:54:16 am »
Sadly I only have a dumb trainer.  It's one of these I got secondhand: https://tacx.com/product/booster/ I suspect the "high resistance at low speeds" bit means that it's more resistive than flywheely.
I tend to run it with the level set to 4 (out of 10). The lever is so stiff I actually broke it - now if I need to change the level I use pliers! I vary my resistance during workouts using gears - I tend to be big ring, middle cog when >200W.

My daughter has been making noises about wanting to join me for garage cycling.  Maybe that's an opportunity to get some rollers (her bike has 20" wheels, so it doesn't go in many turbos). ;) I'm assuming that spinning on rollers has a good flywheel effect (though learning to ride a fixed in a TT position on them might take a little while)?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Beardy on Today at 10:50:31 am »
Bring me sunshine - Morecombe and Wise
GPS / Re: saving a .gpx file on a Mac
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 10:47:00 am »
(I usually save as notepad file, but not sure if Mac has an equivalent)

You don't need to associate it with any particular app to save it to your Mac. As Dale says, just click the download button and it will save the file to your Downloads folder. (To find the file on your Mac, open a Finder window and there should be a link to the Downloads folder in the Favourites list on the left side of the window, otherwise from Finder open the Go menu and select Downloads, or use the keyboard shortcut option+command+L)

I then wanna upload to my ipad for walking next week.
Or maybe I can do it 'straight through Viewranger ?

As Kim says, you need to do it via an app, either on desktop or device.

I don't know Viewranger but I've just been looking at it - very interesting. The app does allow you to import files directly1 but you need to have the file saved in your iCloud Drive or in Dropbox (you'll need to link your Dropbox account to the app to allow this).

The default option on OS X these days is for everything on your Mac Desktop to sync to iCloud Drive2, so if you drag the downloaded GPX file from the Downloads folder to the Desktop, it should then appear in the Desktop folder when you select Import File on the Viewranger app. I've just tested this and it works a treat. In order to use the file for navigation, you then have to convert the Track to a Route in the app.

You can also upload the GPX file to your account from your Mac by logging in at viewranger.com and selecting Routes and Tracks > Create a route from GPX

1. Unlike, say, Strava or RidewithGPS, which require you to upload files to your account on your desktop so that you can access them through the mobile app. Thumbs up to Viewranger for this excellent feature.

2. If your Mac isn't set to sync to iCloud Drive, open System Preferences > iCloud, then tick the checkbox next to iCloud Drive. Also click the Options... button next to iCloud Drive and tick the checkbox next to Desktop & Documents Folders.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10