Author Topic: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.  (Read 21969 times)

dim

Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.
« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:52 pm »
so en'lighten' me .... what would you wear ?

Whatever was appropriate for the weather conditions.

I've chosen jackets based on fit, affordability and how well it could breathe.  In the absence of any that can breathe effectively, I've chosen cheap ones that fit, and rarely wear them.  They have some retroreflectives on them, which is fine, but it doesn't contribute anything to my safety as it's usually rolled up in my bag.

so what's your 'favorite' assuming that you were to ride 1000km (which included riding several hours during pitch darkness), and assuming that the temp and weather were mild? ... and assuming that you could only have 1 jacket
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2018, 10:18:27 pm »
so what's your 'favorite' assuming that you were to ride 1000km (which included riding several hours during pitch darkness), and assuming that the temp and weather were mild? ... and assuming that you could only have 1 jacket

If the temperature's mild I wouldn't be wearing a jacket because I tend to run hot.  Iff I were to attempt this sort of race (which I wouldn't; I'm not capable of it) I'd probably choose something that could pack down as small and light as possible.

In the real world, I have a standard Altura Night Vision.  I've done plenty of overnight riding, but very little with a jacket on, and when I have worn it it's contributed little to my visibility because there's usually been a seat in the way.

I'm not sure why this is relevant...  we were talking about hi-vis rules.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #327 on: February 14, 2018, 07:46:58 am »
Whatever was appropriate for the weather conditions.

I've chosen jackets based on fit, affordability and how well it could breathe.  In the absence of any that can breathe effectively, I've chosen cheap ones that fit, and rarely wear them.  They have some retroreflectives on them, which is fine, but it doesn't contribute anything to my safety as it's usually rolled up in my bag.

On the breathing front, I have several Páramo jackets, I've found them to be the only jackets that are both waterproof, and breathable in the quantities of sweat produced when cycling. The only downside is they are too warm for cycling in for about 6 months of the year. But in winter, Autumn, and early spring, they are fantastic. I wear my Quito jacket daily for commuting in throughout the winter, even sub zero, and never have any issues with boil in a bag sensation like I've had with membrane jackets in the past. It's got some reflective piping on the shoulder seem, but that's all it's got. I have the lights I need to comply with the law, I don't see a need for any additional reflective clothing.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2018, 07:58:30 am »
The answer to best jacket depends on the weather. 

In a shorter event such as yours, you can have a pretty good idea if it is going to rain much or not beforehand so can prepare accordingly. 

I took a Gore jacket on IndyPac that I was grateful to have in a thunderstorm, but I wouldn't take it if I thought there would only be showers as it doesn't pack very small.  I've got a Sportful one which packs smaller than my fist and weighs nothing, which would be fine as a top windproof layer with shower protection.     

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #329 on: March 22, 2018, 10:24:15 pm »

Despite the Indipac not running officially this year, enough of those who were planning to enter, have decided to ride anyway.

There's a tracking page at: https://indianpacificwheelrace2018.maprogress.com/

There's someone on twitter who's got a spreadsheet comparing daily totals of this years unofficial riders, and last years official riders. So far the p1 rider abdullah zeinab is going slightly slower than Kristof last year.

Given it's not the real race, and all the stuff surrounding it, I'm really struggling to get as enthused by the dots for this race as I have for races in the past.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/