Author Topic: TransAtlanticWay 2017  (Read 1933 times)

TransAtlanticWay 2017
« on: 08 May, 2017, 11:58:47 am »
Anyone else on here doing it ( http://www.transatlanticway.com/ )?

Fleshed out a rough plan over the weekend, ended up with a pretty optimistic 8-day schedule effectively comprising of 4 back-to-back 600k audaxy rides with hostels in between. Will bivvy enroute if riding through the other nights doesn't quite work out. Doesn't look that bad on paper, and having ridden the Pendle, Brimstone, PBP and around Iceland on fixed, can't quite believe it's as hard as everyone seems to make out. Mrs Ivan is heading to Dublin for Bloomsday on 16th June, and then taking the train down to Cork for the weekend, so only have 9 days to get round anyway or else will have to cut it short for the sake of marital harmony.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Re: TransAtlanticWay 2017
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2017, 12:57:03 pm »
Currently getting an error message on your link Ivan.
I'd be interested at having a crack at this another year. (TCR this year)
I like the concept and the fact that it can be done on a relatively limited time frame (compared to TCR, Trans Am etc) and the get to/from either side of the race are not too onerous for Euro based riders.
Will be interested in feedback on the type of roads/scenery you come across.
often lost.

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2017, 02:14:33 pm »
Fixed the link, thanks. The convenience of the start/finish is a major factor for me as well, and good to keep my carbon footprint down by taking the train+ferry to the start.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »
Wild Atlantic Way Audax last year had a time limit of 7 days 7 hours for 2110km. So 8 days for 2500km seems eminently reasonable if your neck doesn't go like mine did.

Best of luck, not long now.

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2017, 01:19:17 pm »
Good luck, Ivan. 
Anyone taking this on (and the audax version) has my utmost admiration.  The constant ups and downs, as well as the twists and turns, riding 100 miles on the ground to cover 25 as the crow flies, plus plenty of sideways rain, must make this a very tough event. 
I'm sure you know this already, but riding a 600 fresh is a lot easier / quicker than riding one after 2 or 3 others.  If I were riding it, I would expect to do less than 300km per day after day 2, so I'd be looking for 400+ on day 1.