Author Topic: Brevet Cymru 2018  (Read 19524 times)

Re: Brevet Cymru 2018
« Reply #25 on: 18 April, 2018, 11:26:18 am »
I've entered this. I like Wales.

Anyone riding this and the Porkers?

Apparently (but not me this year after all).

« Reply #26 on: 18 April, 2018, 11:32:33 am »
I've just posted my entry. Current plan probably involves driving although I guess I could ECE the 160k ride in between?
I've not been riding much long stuff this season so going from 200k to 800k might be enough...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #27 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:37:02 am »
Just got the notes by email

Its further than I remember 😀

The final on the road control is at Llangattock school/community centre. Please be aware this is a residential area - and keeping noise to a minimum would be appreciated. There will be rest facilities, but you are only some 600km from arrivee - so think twice before deciding to stop for any great length of time.

« Reply #28 on: 23 April, 2018, 07:28:09 am »
Make sure you find the correct cardinal point cafe.
And I note this: "In the past, a few cyclists have decided to leave a few minutes early, anyone doing so will risk their ride not being validated."
Perhaps they were helpers, but a couple of fast chaps headed off at 0545 on Saturday from the Heart of England start at Cirencester which was  a touch (15 minutes) precipitate. Perhaps they were concerned about the Cotswolds and hitting the max speed at the control at Alchester (65k).

« Reply #29 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:24:07 am »
Just got the notes by email

Its further than I remember 😀

Yes I was surprised by that, I think it's a bit like some other routes. The shortest route is 401km, but popular demand (such as the B-road choice between Monmouth and Hay) has added a bit of extra value.

Yes, an extra 0 managed to creep in, I was using my 'phone as laptop has damaged screen, sorry also for the "Android take" on The Mariners Cafe.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #30 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:40:32 am »
Make sure you find the correct cardinal point cafe.

Sorry about that, it's The Mariners Cafe.

And I note this: "In the past, a few cyclists have decided to leave a few minutes early, anyone doing so will risk their ride not being validated.

For my part, yes a number of years ago, one of the more experienced female AUKs decided to set-off early and drag a small number with her, and despite trying to call them back. All I received was a mouthful. Hey-Ho,  all part of what you're expected to take. How do I know they departed early, well I was prompted that the time was  5.57, and it takes a few seconds to get to the car park?

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #31 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:46:10 am »
I'd find that hard to swallow

« Reply #32 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:05:54 am »
I'd find that hard to swallow

;D  ;D  ;D

« Reply #33 on: 23 April, 2018, 01:02:21 pm »
Blacksheep - in my limited experience your starts are always on time.
I have endeavoured to reproduce your routesheet on RwGPS in case others find that useful (NB from the routesheet, not the tcx).
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13068909
404km going the shorter way over the top to Hay. Just my westimate, of course.

« Reply #34 on: 23 April, 2018, 01:35:31 pm »
I have endeavoured to reproduce your routesheet on RwGPS in case others find that useful (NB from the routesheet, not the tcx).

:thumbsup:

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #35 on: 23 April, 2018, 08:45:28 pm »

Thanks, that's really useful

« Reply #36 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:37:35 pm »
Thanks.
Is Monmouth to Hay the only section where route sheet and tcx vary?
Which is the nicer/more scenic version?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #37 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:01:52 pm »
Thanks.
Is Monmouth to Hay the only section where route sheet and tcx vary?
Which is the nicer/more scenic version?
So far as I can tell that's the only variation (tho' check the pre-Tintern descent on the tcx). I rode the Golden Valley route in 2016 because I thought the higher road looked harder, so turned right to Grosmont where the group went left to Pandy. But in 2017 (to try out both routes) I rode up through Michaelchurch which is a more scenic road (and 3km shorter). Don't know which is faster, but Flatus OTP has opined elsewhere that the B road is and he's probably right. Quite likely to still be riding in a group and that's probably easier done on the B road. But the views on the high road are much better, the surface is not bad and minimal traffic (cf B road)) with mostly good sight lines means one can be sociable without constant calls of 'car up'. HTH

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #38 on: 24 April, 2018, 08:14:56 am »
I have entered this but haven't yet sorted out my logistics. I had thought of booking into the severn view Travelodge for 2 nights, but 1) it's really expensive for the Saturday night and 2) they don't seem to do a proper breakfast for the Sunday.

I could book in for the Friday night but that leaves me with nowhere to get some sleep before the journey home.

We can sleep in the hall at arrivee?  Can we leave sleeping mat and bag there at the start? What about sleeping at llangatock? The notes suggest pushing on to the finish but one hall is much the same as another and sleeping first allows riding the last section in daylight.

Keen to do this ride but can't justify £160 on accommodation.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #39 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:25:11 am »
Same boat (ish). I'm still tossing up driving over, staying Fri night, riding, sleeping in car, driving to Poole for Porkers, riding, driving back to London.
vs. the same thing but using trains and taking a bivvy or find cheaper hotel instead of sleeping in the car after the Cymru.

Maybe a few people in the same situation could split a room?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #40 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:32:20 am »
Try http://greenmanbackpackers.co.uk/chepstow-accommodation/

My first stay will be for the BCM. If works out then maybe in future could book a whole dorm for the event.

« Reply #41 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:04:20 am »
Airbnb?  Lots of choice.

« Reply #42 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:05:31 am »
There was a sleeping room at the finish last year. I had a lovely few hours sleeping there last year before riding back to London. I carried my mat and bivvy so I don't know whether I could have left any kit there while riding.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #43 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:23:17 am »
Try http://greenmanbackpackers.co.uk/chepstow-accommodation/

My first stay will be for the BCM. If works out then maybe in future could book a whole dorm for the event.
Looks perfect. I have contacted them.

« Reply #44 on: 24 April, 2018, 01:22:03 pm »
Looks like you'll have some nice new tarmac between Llandovery and Llanwrda.

A40 both ways closed due to collapsed culvert between Heol Rhos (Llandovery) and A482 (Llanwrda). Road has been closed since just after 18:00 on Wednesday 18th April . Sink hole is outside the Blaenos Nursing Home.Until 0:00 on 28th April. Diversion: Along the A4069 via Llangadog

http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.detail.12079807/

« Reply #45 on: 24 April, 2018, 02:16:12 pm »
Looks like you'll have some nice new tarmac between Llandovery and Llanwrda.
A40 both ways closed . . . until 0:00 on 28th April. Diversion: Along the A4069 via Llangadog
I took this road https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27317219 last year which would bypass the 'new tarmac'. Some hills.
Llandovery to Maestwynog (A482)
150   N from control on A40, $ Llandeilo
151.3   Cross br and imm R $ Cilycwm
152.6   L @ T $ Porthyrhyd
161   R onto A482, $ none, to CWMANN.

« Reply #46 on: 25 April, 2018, 09:33:28 pm »
£140ish for trains so looks like I'm driving. Stupid country.

On another note, how do I pronounce Cymru? I've been told before but forgotten. Thanks.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #47 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:08:13 pm »
£140ish for trains so looks like I'm driving. Stupid country.

On another note, how do I pronounce Cymru? I've been told before but forgotten. Thanks.
I believe in welsh the Y is a short U sound, and the U is a I sound, so I think it is "Come - Ree"

« Reply #48 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:28:14 pm »
Routesheet is the red line:

Which route would you ride?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #49 on: 26 April, 2018, 08:51:04 am »
I've always done the red line on the Brevet Cymru, the blue, golden valley, is used on the Gospel Pass 150 and is a lot flatter (not flat) ... I'm planning on riding fixed and so thinking this year I'll go golden valley (blue).  The other way is good but more laney, there's quite a few undulations that are more up than down and there are some nice views from the top before a very fast descent.