Author Topic: Ankle pain - ideas?  (Read 1441 times)

Ankle pain - ideas?
« on: 21 December, 2017, 09:18:31 am »
For a few days I've had a niggly ankle, noticeable on occasion but not incapacitating. The sort of thing you get after riding 200+km that goes away, except (i) I've not been riding much at all these last few weeks and (ii) it hasn't gone away. In fact last night it was quite acute, waking me up every hour/half hour. I've not twisted or abused it to the best of my knowledge. Location is around my shin which is a bit tender and the ankle looks somewhat swollen, no issues with my calf (apart from me being a silly moo). Got a doctor's appointment for later, as the only thing I can think of is DVT, while I don't think it is I'm flying on Saturday and it probably makes sense to check the possibility. In the meantime given the communal experience of leg injuries within the yacf massive, be interested to hear others' ideas.

Re: Ankle pain - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:27:52 am »
gout?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:34:58 am »
Don't think so, having checked the symptoms. Overnight was the first acute pain, back down very much to background level now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2017, 12:58:57 pm »
DVTs are usually very much calf pain things, so your description makes this unlikely.

The muscles at the front of the shin sit in quite tight fibrous compartments and muscle swelling here can make things very tight but you haven't really done anything to provoke this.

I am somewhat puzzled by pain at night and wonder if there's some sort of rheumatic process afoot.

« Reply #4 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:45:04 pm »
Doc's verdict: I dunno. Which is good in my book.

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2017, 01:36:01 pm »
Wear and tear....... :-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain