Author Topic: Jigsaw boards  (Read 1584 times)

Jigsaw boards
« on: 25 January, 2018, 12:37:52 pm »
My wife and i have returned to doing jigsaws after many years as a non-screen based hobby we both enjoy.

However, the board that we bought from a hobby shop has a surface that is wrinkled on both sides so the jigsaw does not lie flat.  Given it was fairly cheap we would like to buy a better quality board.  Does anyone have a recommendation? We would use it for upto 1000 pieces

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Jigsaw boards
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2018, 12:49:57 pm »
I've just started one too.  :thumbsup:
I've 'borrowed' the back board from a very large picture frame that we're not currently using.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2018, 01:46:49 pm »
An alternative is one of these which allows you to roll the jigsaw up and store when not being assembled. Less chance of sucking multiple pieces up the hoover :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jigroll-1000-Jigsaw-Puzzle-Accessory/dp/B0009WHU2K
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2018, 08:46:42 pm »
I used to use a piece of hardboard.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2018, 08:21:57 pm »
An alternative is one of these which allows you to roll the jigsaw up and store when not being assembled. Less chance of sucking multiple pieces up the hoover :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jigroll-1000-Jigsaw-Puzzle-Accessory/dp/B0009WHU2K

I used to have one of those, totally useless IMO.

Best one I ever had was jogler's cast off draughtsmans board when he upgraded. Prices range from not a lot to  :o

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:14:06 pm »

...However, the board that we bought from a hobby shop has a surface that is wrinkled on both sides so the jigsaw does not lie flat....

if it is faulty maybe it should go back?

If the surface is textured somehow, is this deliberate to make picking up pieces (even if you don't have fingernails) easier?

Would the wrinkles be improved by pressing (leaving a weight on?) or gently ironing the surface?

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2018, 12:23:19 am »
My mum was a jigsaw enthusiast.  Due to persistent feline 'assistance', she molished one out of a couple of sheets of plywood and some sort of felty fabric, IIRC.  Velcro closure.  Worked well enough to store partially-completed jigsaws vertically behind the sofa.

« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2018, 05:12:22 am »
Can you locate a source for "fome-cor" (they needed to make up a phonetic trademarkable name for " foam core ") - should be able to find it white both sides; has a 1/4" or so (6mm - ish) interior to make it rigid.  A common product for architectural model making.  Comes in various large sheet sizes.

« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2018, 07:58:19 am »
Thank you all. The old one is going back and we are assessing the various options.

« Reply #9 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:24:21 pm »
My wife had a jigsaw board that was very good. I can't find the exact one, but the usual thing of two end flaps that fold over to cover the jigsaw. Unfortunately it was damaged when a sofa spring broke and dug into the board, which was stored under the sofa.

We've now bought a jigsaw table because the board meant crawling on the floor, unless you have a large table available. However, those are quite expensive.