Author Topic: Posting a photo to the site.  (Read 1385 times)

Posting a photo to the site.
« on: 29 January, 2018, 11:05:32 pm »
I realise that this may seem to be a daft question but I would like to post a photo on YACF without having to host it on picweb or instaphoto or what ever.  Is there a way?

Many thanks. A

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Posting a photo to the site.
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2018, 11:08:57 pm »
No.

See discussion passim in Office Reception.  Basically, if YACF hosted images the server costs would be prohibitively expensive.  Not hosting images means less work for the admins, too.

(Of course you don't have to use a cloud photo hosting service.  A simple webserver will suffice.)

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2018, 11:15:02 pm »
Fair enough.  It just makes uploading a picture more of a hassle. But I understand. 

It has stopped me from sharing places I have crashed; funny shaped vegetables; new bikes I intend to buy; all manner of other junk that enters my head. 

No matter. 

Thanks for the swift reply. 

A

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2018, 11:16:25 pm »
It’s not a daft question as it is an option on some forums. I believe it is possible with SMF but the option is not enabled. Even if it was enabled I think it does somehow involve 3rd party hosting, even if the poster doesn’t have to get hands on.

There are some hosting sites that allow a faster hosting / link-creating process but I’ll leave it to others to recommend one. I was about to mention tinypic but then after a quick look at their T&Cs I see they are owned by *spit* Photobucket.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2018, 11:21:15 pm »
I don't find having to link to an image particularly difficult; mine are on a webserver already and it's quicker to copy&paste a URL than to go through the faff of uploading a file.  But it is sad to see older threads (particularly ride reports and such) where people's image links have become stale due to the inevitable changes that happen over time.  Still, I understand the admins' decision, and would probably make the same one if I were in their position.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2018, 11:30:06 pm »
The issue is that you need somewhere on the web to host your pictures, and then add a reference to that location in your post. More or less any webspace will do.

I'm currently using dropbox for this. A basic dropbox account will give you 2GB and is free.

Once you have your photo in the account, get a shareable link and embed it in your post.

See post https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=post;msg=2251983;topic=101261.25 for an example (use 'quote post' to see the coding; note img url ends xxxx.jpg?raw=1)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2018, 12:13:35 am »
Try Imgur, it's probably the quickest/easiest way to upload images, and grab the required BBcode.

Maybe some sort of browser extension would help. It could mean you don't have to go to a separate site as such? Though not tried any myself.