Author Topic: Southern Scotland in the Summer  (Read 2332 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Southern Scotland in the Summer
« on: 04 February, 2018, 07:01:36 pm »
Plans are beginning to take shape here, for a South West Scotland tour.

The whole plan centres around the Ride of the Falling Rain on Islay on Sunday 5th August.

Plan fermenting in my mind at the moment (which is plan B) is

Day 1 - Drive to parents in Kirkby Stephen, Overnight there.
Day 2 - Train to Edinburgh Haymarket, Ride to Ardrossan (158km)
Day 3 - Ferries for Islay, bimble about a bit, overnight Islay
Day 4 - ROTFR (up to 160km), overnight Islay
Day 5 - Ferries back to the mainland, ride to Ayr (40km) or Maybole (60km), overnight Travelodge
Day 6 - Ayr or Maybole to Dumfries (160-180km)
Day 7 - Dumfries - Kirkby Stephen (145km), Overnight Parents
Day 8 - Drive home

Day 9 - Wife goes on holiday

The bit I'm not really sure of is the Edinburgh - Ardrossan section, it's convenient to be on the train line from Penrith, nothing more really.  So questions to the panel
1) what's that section of NCN from Edinburgh to Glasgow and onwards like (likely to be on recumbent)
2) if you were to be taking a train to the southern part of Scotland to ride to Ardrossan, where would you take the train to i.e. where would you ride to Ardrossan ferry terminal from?

I've binned the idea of inverness to Oban as the ferries don't really work well for the weekend on Islay, and I may play around with distances and stopping points on days 5/6/7 depending on locations of travel inns/premier inns and the like

Comments / thoughts welcome.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Southern Scotland in the Summer
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:22:05 pm »
Any reason why you don't get a train to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh?
Easy train trip from Glasgow to Ardrossan.

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:28:51 pm »
I fancy a bit of a ride on that first day as well, not wedded to Edinburgh by any means.  Would think about cycling out of Glasgow Central to Ardrossan, it's right on the NCN.  That's also in my mind to follow the NCNs as much as possible.

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:44:24 pm »
Plans are beginning to take shape here, for a South West Scotland tour.

The whole plan centres around the Ride of the Falling Rain on Islay on Sunday 5th August.

Plan fermenting in my mind at the moment (which is plan B) is

Day 1 - Drive to parents in Kirkby Stephen, Overnight there.
Day 2 - Train to Edinburgh Haymarket, Ride to Ardrossan (158km)
Day 3 - Ferries for Islay, bimble about a bit, overnight Islay
Day 4 - ROTFR (up to 160km), overnight Islay
Day 5 - Ferries back to the mainland, ride to Ayr (40km) or Maybole (60km), overnight Travelodge
Day 6 - Ayr or Maybole to Dumfries (160-180km)
Day 7 - Dumfries - Kirkby Stephen (145km), Overnight Parents
Day 8 - Drive home

Day 9 - Wife goes on holiday

The bit I'm not really sure of is the Edinburgh - Ardrossan section, it's convenient to be on the train line from Penrith, nothing more really.  So questions to the panel
1) what's that section of NCN from Edinburgh to Glasgow and onwards like (likely to be on recumbent)
2) if you were to be taking a train to the southern part of Scotland to ride to Ardrossan, where would you take the train to i.e. where would you ride to Ardrossan ferry terminal from?

I've binned the idea of inverness to Oban as the ferries don't really work well for the weekend on Islay, and I may play around with distances and stopping points on days 5/6/7 depending on locations of travel inns/premier inns and the like

Comments / thoughts welcome.

I live in Glasgow but wouldn't ride to Ardrossan, to many gnarly roads and with a good train from central Glasgow to Ardrossan it's a much easier journey.

Beware of the roads/route you choose if riding around/to Ayr or Maybole, some are to be completely avoided due to being fast A or B roads.

Riding from Embra to Glasgow is fairly easy as the cycle track is all Tarmac but it does meander somewhat. Depending on the day you travel the A89 is also a good option, mostly quiet between Bathgate to Airdrie and a good big wide road, most of the traffic is on the M8.

Another to consider if riding from east to west is the wind, 99% of the time it's always a westerly and as your are riding through a corridor basically it's something to factor in time wise.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:51:57 pm »
I'd go for more time on the west coast and islands, and less around the boring bits between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I think its worth taking a few days to explore Islay and Jura.

Ferry from Ardrossan to Campbeltown would be another option, then up the Mull of Kintyre to Kennacraig (NCN route 78).
Or ferry from Wemyss Bay to Bute, then Portvadie to Tarbert ferry.
The Jura passenger ferry from Tayvallich could be fun.

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:02:56 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, I'll have a look at that.

Start and end times pretty much set due to wife's holiday, plus the ROTFR in the middle, that does give a bit of time to fiddle around with day 2 and 3 though.

As for fast A/B roads Ardrossan to Ayr, I'm planning on following NCNs all the way, so hopefully not too bad (going by the standard around here)

ElyDave

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:09:46 pm »
I'd go for more time on the west coast and islands, and less around the boring bits between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I think its worth taking a few days to explore Islay and Jura.

Ferry from Ardrossan to Campbeltown would be another option, then up the Mull of Kintyre to Kennacraig (NCN route 78).
Or ferry from Wemyss Bay to Bute, then Portvadie to Tarbert ferry.
The Jura passenger ferry from Tayvallich could be fun.

I was planning Ardrossan-Brodick, ride across Arran to Lochranza, ferry from there there to Claonaig, ride across the Mull of Kintyre to Kennacraig and from there ferry to Islay.  Will have a look at Campbeltown, gives more riding time on the Mull of Kintyre, but needs to fit in the other constraints.

Train direct to Ardrossan on Day 2 seems to be one option, and then maybe get to Islay on that day, or Campbeltown and ride up the Mull the next day.  Potential to get straight to Islay also throws Jura into the mix, more distilleries to visit.

Thanks.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:24:15 pm »
Also consider taking the train to Wemyss Bay and riding round via the Isle of Bute. I found NCN 7 hard to follow into Glasgow a few years ago, though that may just have been a problem with me.

Penrith to Glasgow trains are mainly Pendolinos, though there are some voyagers (dangly bike spaces). To Edinburgh you also get TPE 3 carriage units. I think a bent would still be ok.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2018, 10:10:35 pm »
Thanks,

At this rate I may need to add another trip.  And then there's the Northern Isles as well, I've only ever been to Shetland and Orkney for work, and would love to see more

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2018, 01:18:31 pm »
I found NCN 7 hard to follow into Glasgow a few years ago, though that may just have been a problem with me.

No I don't think it's personal!  I seem to remember that being a nightmare.

ElyDave I'd be interested in your Dumfries - Kirkby Stephen leg, I'm considering a ride-home-from-parents at easter (Dumfries - Leeds) or possibly taking the train out of Carlisle for a stop or two and then riding approximately alongside the railway line down to Skipton.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

ElyDave

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:26:22 pm »
Here's my revised route/ plan so far

2/8 Travel to Cumbria
3/8 - train to Ardrossan, Ferries to Islay, total 50km (ish)
4/8 - bimble around Jura and Islay
5/8 - ROTFR - approx. 160km
6/8 - Ferries to Mainland - Ride Ardrossan to Newton Stewart - approx. 50km + 115km
7/8 - Newton Stewart to Gretna - 146km
8/8 - Gretna to Kirkby Stephen - 102km
9/8  - drive home

Route maps are based on NCNs, and avoid major roads where poss, but not entirely, such as around Prestwick where routes are limited.

Routes on mapmyride, slightly different to plan as I've extended day 2/shrunk day 3 - of course precise mileages will depend on start/end points etc
1) Ard - NS http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1933871951
2) NS - Dumfries http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1933883639
3) Dum - KS http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1933909784

Carlisle is the tricky bit on leg 3, I'll probably play that by ear and just follow the NCN signs.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:52:13 pm »
I can't see the routes, as I need to be a 'friend' of yours on MMR to be allowed to see them. In my experience, Carlisle isn't that hard to navigate really. You might end up on some slightly bigger and busier roads than you'd like, but in general it's not that bad riding through the city IMHO.

This map is getting old now (they've built a bypass since it was produced round the West of the city), but it does give a bit more detail on the city centre - https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/Content/Internet/544/907/5123/39737154029.pdf

ElyDave

« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2018, 07:42:40 am »
ping me an e-mail address and I'll see how I can make you a "friend"

I've been up to Carlisle a few times both work related and a few years back for an Elton John concert, and I didn't think the city centre looked too unfriendly

mr ben

« Reply #13 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:47:53 am »
I appear to have an account on map my ride (who knew?); I see there is an 'add friend' button so I will try clicking on it.

ElyDave

« Reply #14 on: 09 February, 2018, 11:17:02 am »
Friend request from Ben Douglas accepted.

mr ben

« Reply #15 on: 09 February, 2018, 10:32:17 pm »
Excellent, thanks.  Your route is almost entirely different from what I was looking at so very useful. 

Originally I was thinking about trying to make a 200 km DIY but the numbers don't really work plus I am likely to have LUGGAGE and so be even more full-value than usual.  So it will be better as a two day (non-audax) trip with a camping stop somewhere near Kirkby.  I'll be starting from half-way between Dumfries and Lockerbie so the B7076 slog is the obvious one, although having done that a few times last year the Dumfries-Annan way has its attractions.

I've done the A6 between Carlisle and Penrith 3 times and it's always been fairly quiet plus has nice views over the solway/lakes if clear.

I agree with mcshroom that Carlisle is ok and sticking to the main roads is the easiest option.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16 on: 09 February, 2018, 11:04:15 pm »
Friend request sent :)