Author Topic: Gladestry Audax Weekend - Final Year  (Read 4549 times)

Gladestry Audax Weekend - Final Year
« on: 10 February, 2018, 09:54:29 am »
The Gladestry Audax Weekend events are scheduled for the 4th and 5th August 2018.
This will the last annually organised audax that I will be presenting.

The Gladestry Audax Weekend has been running for about twelve years and I have now decided to call it a day, to shutdown the annual event.
The attendance numbers have decreased year on year while the choice and number of audax rides available to cyclists have increased.
It is therefore clear that the Gladestry rides specifically,  are not of interest to enough riders to warrant my further contribution.

Therefore, the last Gladestry Audax Weekend will be on the 4th and 5th August 2018

Re: Gladestry Audax Weekend - Final Year
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2018, 07:49:58 pm »
Happy/sad - it's in the diary! These rides are magnificent - but do I dare to brave the ultimate 'Dragon'?! (no skiving off homewards on that one!!)

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2018, 10:26:33 pm »
Hopefully I can crawl round one more E & Y.  :(
My first one was 2006 - so yes at last 12 years.
There were 15 finishers inc' 2 temps + Danial Webb, William Weir and Pete Coates.
Any other vets on here?#

Hats off to Ross - he's certainly done his bit.

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:32:51 am »
I remember doing the Tregaron Dragon in 2012.  I had broken my frame and had to do it on a bike borrowed from a chap at work.  A hard day out with very little flat terrain.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2018, 03:56:55 pm »
Difficult weekend, with most folks on holiday with their families and IMO there is an inflation of events around that area, with lots of organisers starting their rides from Shropshire/Herefordshire and mid Wales.
Being on the calendar early maybe helps too...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:33:24 am »
I've heard rumours of free camping at HQ in the past - is that on for 2018?

[Not that I'll be there ... in the early days of these events I was too new/slow/scared to try them, and recently there has ALWAYS been a clash. 2018 is that stoopid German ride. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2018, 06:44:05 pm »
Have always enjoyed the Gladestry events and it will be a shame to see them go. Ridden the Tregaron Dragon three times and the E &Y last year. All tough events but well worth it for the fantastic scenery and quiet roads.
Will the rides be available as perms?
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

arkle

• Mr Full Value...
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:10:36 pm »
IMO there is an inflation of events around that area, with lots of organisers starting their rides from Shropshire/Herefordshire and mid Wales...

Quite the opposite. There is now a real dearth of calendar events starting around "that area" (where I have lived and cycled for over 30 years) Several rides have disappeared, never to return.

I've done one or other of Ross's (shorter) rides every year for the past several years.  They are very good, and he puts in a lot of effort, but in the past few years they have been very poorly attended. I fully understand why he is winding them down. I would too.

hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2018, 10:19:54 am »
It's a pity that the rides won't be organised in future years, as they are lovely late summer grimpeurs with an organiser who has gone out of his way to put on good events.  I'll even forgive that he rides a motorbike in Wales  :P

Particularly fond of the Elan and Ystwyth.  It's a scenic day out in the Cambrians and nowhere near as difficult as it's association with a genuine beast (see below) might suggest.  It's like riding a more focussed version of the Elenith but without the risk of hypothermia and the race against moonrise.

Contrast that jolly jaunt with the Tregaron Dragon, which to date has been one of the hardest 200s I've done.  It often felt like the only time you weren't climbing was when you're descending to the foot of the next hill.  It's a clever route but one for the masochists.

Will need to see how fit I am and how the diary pans out, but I am hoping to be able to turn out for this final edition of the Weekend.  It's always regretful when rides I'd mention amongst the best I've done are retired.  At least we have had advance warning for this one.

« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2018, 05:43:02 pm »
I remember doing the Tregaron Dragon in 2012.  I had broken my frame and had to do it on a bike borrowed from a chap at work.  A hard day out with very little flat terrain.

That was my first ever 200 and back then I didn't know what 4.75 AAA points meant  :o Damn near destroyed me!

Ben T

« Reply #10 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:11:20 am »
Am I looking wrong or has this now disappeared back out the calendar again? Was thinking of entering the E&Y if it's still happening.

arkle

• Mr Full Value...
« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2018, 04:01:08 pm »
You are not wrong.  :(

« Reply #12 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »
It hasn't disappeared.  It never appeared for 2018.  It is there, waiting for the organiser to bring it to a publishable state.

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:22:12 pm »
Ross, is this event still on?  No sign of it in the calendar yet.

Sad that it's coming to an end, but I'm very keen to do the E&Y and maybe Tregaron Dragon if it's still on this year!

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2018, 03:01:36 pm »
probably still trying to think of some hard enough infos eh Ross ;)

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2018, 08:09:34 pm »
probably still trying to think of some hard enough infos eh Ross ;)

I'm afraid they won't be running.  When the SW & Wales delegate sent an email reminder it bounced back, and there has been no communication.  The deadline has now long passed.

Ben T

« Reply #16 on: 29 June, 2018, 08:27:25 pm »
oh dear, never mind  :'(

« Reply #17 on: 30 June, 2018, 08:44:30 am »
Oh, that's a real shame – I was really looking forward to this :(

« Reply #18 on: 04 September, 2018, 12:01:12 am »
Hi Guys,

Having read your responses to my last posting 'Final Year', I feel sad and somewhat ashamed that I didn't get to stage my usual 'Gladestry Audax Weekend' events this year as I had intended!
I was always behind with my preparations but in June my right knee became a real problem and I had to have a knee joint replacement, a total distraction, which laid me low and largely useless.

All is well now but the knee still needs to loosen more before I can return to riding my pedal cycle.

Regarding the Gladestry events, I will not be re-running them routinely again but I would be prepared to make them into 'Permanents' if there is sufficient interest.

Regards,
Ross Jeal

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #19 on: 05 September, 2018, 08:40:09 pm »
A belated get well soon Ross, you don't live in a spot that's easy on knees. Thanks for the many hills and in particular the fabulously crazy hard finishes to both your 200s.

A couple of us are looking into running a James Blair memorial 200k from Radnorshire to the coast as a replacement to your events (it was James who first pointed me the E&Y about 15 years ago), it may happen next year if I hurry up.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #20 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:49:03 pm »
A couple of us are looking into running a James Blair memorial 200k from Radnorshire to the coast as a replacement to your events (it was James who first pointed me the E&Y about 15 years ago), it may happen next year if I hurry up.

Nice idea.

essexian

« Reply #21 on: 08 September, 2018, 07:17:00 am »

Regarding the Gladestry events, I will not be re-running them routinely again but I would be prepared to make them into 'Permanents' if there is sufficient interest.

Hi Ross

Firstly, I do hope your knee improves and you get to ride again.

With regards to making these a perm, I would be up for that as I had intended to sign up for this years rides had they gone ahead. The area is one of great interest to me as I spent most my summer holidays back in the 1960's and 70's on my Aunties farm near Pembridge. Indeed, one of my seven uncles owned a unit at the air field so we used to go and play with his lorries if we were not blackcurrant picking! It would be very nice going back for the day.

Cheers and get well soon.

« Reply #22 on: 08 September, 2018, 07:29:13 am »
I also think it would be good to have them as perms and I’m sure Ross will enjoy knowing people are still suffering up those hills 😉