Author Topic: Anyone in Hull?  (Read 1456 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Anyone in Hull?
« on: 12 February, 2018, 07:56:46 am »
My daughter is in Hull for the next 6 months and would like to get back into cycling. She is the one who got me back into cycling 7 years ago with a tour in Cuba (hence the screen name). She now has this crazy idea that we should enter next year's 24h on the tandem trike!

My question is, are there any cycling groups in Hull that would be good for a "beginner"?

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Anyone in Hull?
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2018, 12:37:57 pm »

My question is, are there any cycling groups in Hull that would be good for a "beginner"?

She could do worse than try the British Cycling Breeze and Let's Ride Local rides in the Hull area. This link *should* take you to a list of rides in that locale:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/?postcode=Hull+

(There may be the odd race in that list, I didn't check beyond the first page!)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2018, 12:50:47 pm »
Its worth looking at East riding CTC, they run rides from Cottingham and although its quite a while since I last rode with them they were a friendly lot with a number of rides for varying capabilities.

http://eastyorkshirectc.org.uk/new-riders

KM

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:55:32 pm »
As well as East Yorkshire CTC there is Cottingham Road Club and Sunday Girls Road Club. There’s a bike shop in North Ferriby - Vive le Velo - that I *think* offers beginner rides. Maybe on a Saturday morning. ‘Rusty Riders’ may be too beginnerish. Never ridden with Kingswood Cycle Club, but I’ve heard good things about them. Not far out of Hull there are lovely places to ride on both sides of the Humber estuary.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:48:23 pm »
Me.

I'm happy to go for a ride, I live in Brough. Not Bruges. Bruges isn't as lovely as Hull.

The Vive le Velo rides are intended to be at the pace of the slowest rider, but some riders like to nail it. I'm one of the ride shepherds, so often find myself chatting to the lanterns rouge.

If your daughter would like company, PM me. But if she's more the introvert type then encourage her to ride out to/over the Humber Bridge. It is the longest cycle-able suspension bridge in the world. There are numerous cafe/tearooms to choose from in Barton (what I like to call "France")... She'll have a fantastic time.

:)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:51:58 pm »

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2018, 07:48:20 am »
Thanks for this, her bike is currently being serviced and should make the journey back to Hull with her next week.