Author Topic: Workstand for a Recumbent Trike  (Read 1540 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Workstand for a Recumbent Trike
« on: 13 March, 2018, 02:31:26 pm »
For reasons that will become clear soon enough I have had to devise a method to support a Trice Adventure at a reasonable height whilst carrying out extensive servicing and mechanical work. When I collected Cycleman's trike at the weekend it was clear he has some considerable difficulty accessing anything under the seat and Polar Bear and I mused on the possibility of creating some kind of lift.

I didn't want to grovel around on the floor and got to thinking about ways to get it elevated securely. A quick perusal of the local B&Q* led me to a very cheap 'workmate' which supports a claimed 70kg and costs £9. I bought two! Not sparkling, assembly required and the steel used could be bent by a 3 year old but stable enough once bolted together.

Using 2x2" timber cut into 12" lengths, I've made V-shaped notches in the ends to support the wheel spar at the front and a single at the rear to support just aft of the hinge. The uprights are screwed to crosspieces which fit in the jaws of the workmates for greater clamping area. The result is a comfortable working height and all the controls accessible enabling gear and brake adjustment to be carried out as easily as a DF bike.

If I ever work out how to get pictures back on here** I'll post a couple.

*This item doesn't appear on the website AFAICT. Mind you if I was selling it I wouldn't want to addvertise it either!

**See rants passim re photobucket.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: Workstand for a Recumbent Trike
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2018, 03:13:01 pm »
Very ingenious.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2018, 04:30:16 pm »
I made one out of 40mm plastic waste pipe

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2018, 04:51:55 pm »
Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that...  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2018, 11:18:46 pm »
I just take the seat off...  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2018, 06:13:49 am »
Three pulleys (as used in clothes airers) fastened to the roof beams in the Garage

Then short climber's slings looped around the wheels, frame etc as required... you can even mount it upside down!

Allows some flexibility of height and anchoring points. Admittedly there is some steadying required, but it works for me