Author Topic: Cordless drill and impact drivers  (Read 4593 times)

Re: Cordless drill and impact drivers
« Reply #25 on: 03 April, 2018, 08:34:52 pm »
My strategy is that if I can 'repair' the existing hammer drill with a replacement chuck (which looks promising) then it'll be an SDS corded drill and a cordless impact driver instead.

« Reply #26 on: 06 April, 2018, 09:51:12 pm »
Another vote for Dewalt. Just excellent and I have used mine for some heavy duty jobs.

SDS. Now you are talking and further to the sheer brilliance of the performance they do NOT go through bits. I have been lucky enough to be given one and a bunch of bits and my donor who uses such tools every day fitting industrial blinds so is constantly drilling reinforced concrete handed me the bundle of bits and chuckled saying they will easily see me out. Not blunted one yet so it's looking like he's right. I once fitted anti sit material to a short length of wall and went through a good 15 masonry bits. Expensive job not to mention the time it took.

Oh and after 28 years in the offshore drilling game I encountered "Whinstone" here which is the hardest stone I have met. The SDS gently slides through it!

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #27 on: 06 April, 2018, 10:06:49 pm »
I would personally buy (because I have and have made extensive use of them) an SDS drill for holes, and a Bosch cordless drill/driver for screw driving. Decent screws are also a must- I buy the Screwfix turbo ultra ones for general use and the SS ones for outdoor or potentially moist use. The SS ones always need a pilot hole or will twist as they drive in.

You can buy much cheaper drills and drivers, but they will not fill with you deep joy to actually use. In my world this is priceless, but YMMV!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #28 on: 07 April, 2018, 09:51:23 am »
I'm wondering why you would want a cordless impact driver for driving screws ? My old regular Makita screwdriver will drive a 120mm screw into a laminated plywood beam without a pilot hole.

I used an impact driver once and it smashed the bit. It's been languishing in its box since then.

« Reply #29 on: 08 April, 2018, 11:06:10 am »
I'm wondering why you would want a cordless impact driver for driving screws ? My old regular Makita screwdriver will drive a 120mm screw into a laminated plywood beam without a pilot hole.

I used an impact driver once and it smashed the bit. It's been languishing in its box since then.

Nothing ‘impact’ about a drill driver when its on the screw setting- just has a hell of a lot more torque when required than my cordless screwdriver which languishes in the tool chest unloved. Also battery life and having 2 batteries for the Bosch makes a big difference. Im about to build a pergola to complete a big garden building project and will definitely be using that drill for the screws  :)

« Reply #30 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:12:00 pm »
I am not a builder and I'll be driving hundreds of screws.  I've laid floor and built stud using hand tools and it's tiresome and painful on my soft clerical hands. 

An impact driver or a drill driver will prove very very convenient for me.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #31 on: 09 April, 2018, 10:32:49 am »
I've been in this boat, and I am lost with out a paddle.

Should I get something from lidl/aldi with two batteries and replace in 3 years time when the warranty ends.  Have had the bosch blue battery tools and when the batteries life ended the cost of batteries was more than the replacement tool.

The tools dont get everyday use so suspect that didn't help. 

Was thinking the clas olsen tools with a 5 year guarantee might be good but the drill only come with one battery.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #32 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:23:22 am »
Mother has just invested in a new Bosch-gbh-2-26-2-7kg-corded-sds-plus-240v home appliance and a tube of DeWalt SDS chisels.

It made short work of the boundary wall.

She's going to have quite a tool kit when she's done.

« Reply #33 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:38:04 am »
I have been looking at Bosch sds drills ... 

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #34 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:47:04 am »
well, I use these things almost every day. I've always have at leasst 2 'combi drills' on the go, (I renovate houses for a living). I have a Hitatchi combi drill, (drill driver,and hammer drill) ,  also a Hilti MF ( Moth.. Fu...) 24v big bustard thing.  But last year I had to build a large area of decking, o treated myself to an impact driver. never owned one before, its like a lightweight stumpy drill driver. I researched well, and bould a Hitatchi. with 2 batteries.   WOW, this little ting is amazing. I use it all the time.  let me explain

a) a hammer drill action, effectively hits the screw bit into the wall with every bang, tus ending up ripping out the x screw head. Put in high torque mode without hammer, and it still rips out the x in the cheeesy headed screw, no matter how hard you push. BUT

b) the little impact driver is not overly powerful, but on ever bang, it hits the screw head rotationally , thus tapping it around that increases the ability to screw into any thing with ease. Plus they do not have a chuck, but a pull back collar, and the biits have hex shanks, so you can get 6mm,8mm.10mm, 13mm, and so socket extensions for coach bolts. I was amazed with the ease at which this little thing was able to drive 90mm coach bolts into damp joists, all day long. How I never got one before I'll never knw.

So I would say YES, you need both, but get a kit , a pair, then they will share 2 battereies, and 1 charger.  Hitatchi are good imho., and I've destroyed the chuck head  bearing in 2 De Walt drill drivers.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #35 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:50:42 am »
Hitachi, Makita or Dewalt brushless.

I just got a lovely Dewalt 18v with 2 batteries from Screwfix.  Highly controllable as a screwdriver with lots of torque settings so you don't bugger up screwheads..etc.

For me it was either Makita or Dewalt.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #36 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:54:41 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGzSu5jgmPQ

says it all really, especially if its primary function is screwing

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #37 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:57:26 am »
I have been looking at Bosch sds drills ...

Mothers has 3 settings; drill/hammer/hammer drill. The non rotating hammer is a gem of a setting. It's small enough to use for a long time and gets render off and breaks mortar lovely.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #38 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:04:29 am »
ah, bt an SDS or even SDS+ drill is NOT a combi drill or impact driver. Its another thing altogether, and great at what its designed for, and YES I have 2 f these as well, but would NEVER use it for screwing screws, hammer drilling into masonary yes. MUCH better at this than even my 24V HILTI MF.  Horses 4 ........

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #39 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:15:53 am »
I might add , that impact drivers require special, 'impact ready' bits, that are hardened I believe, and yes given the right scenario, they will smash a normal bit, but they are not that much more expensive. A bit like using a Michelin World Tour, on a 6k carbon race bike.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #40 on: 10 April, 2018, 02:16:09 pm »
ah, bt an SDS or even SDS+ drill is NOT a combi drill or impact driver. Its another thing altogether, and great at what its designed for, and YES I have 2 f these as well, but would NEVER use it for screwing screws, hammer drilling into masonary yes. MUCH better at this than even my 24V HILTI MF.  Horses 4 ........

Yes, I know.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #41 on: 14 April, 2018, 05:31:40 pm »
I just bought the lidl one in the end.

With the spare battery and charger.  Not sure there was any point to that.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #42 on: 30 April, 2018, 07:39:17 pm »
Love love love my Erbauer Impact driver.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium