Author Topic: South Bucks Winter Warmer  (Read 17986 times)

South Bucks Winter Warmer
« on: 10 November, 2008, 09:59:42 am »
I've just been looking at where I'm going to get by RRtY rides for December and January, and it looks like December is the South Bucks Winter Warmer. Just out of interest, how hilly is it?

Cheers,

Duncan

Re: South Bucks Winter Warmer
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2008, 11:53:53 am »
I did it last year and I don't recall it being too hilly, comparable to (or even a bit flatter than) the Upper Thames. There were some hilly bits - it does start at the top of a hill* in the Chilterns - and some flat bits.

It was very wet and very windy last year  ::-)

Dave

* What do expect from an Audax starting in Great Kingshill?

[Edit: I struggled lots on this ride, which might prejudice my recollection of the hills.]

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2008, 12:30:15 pm »
The western/middle section is a bit tough (but very scenic!). If you bear this in mind, the ride is OK. (I rode with NikW last year, and he warned me we would lose time on that section - thus warned, I was relaxed about it, and we made up the time in other sections.)

Dec/Jan rides are more likely to be made tough by bad weather - but you knew that when you took on the RRTY ! Just expect the worse and you'll really enjoy the good bits (like on Saturday).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2008, 12:41:05 pm »
The first time I attempted to ride it, it started and finished in High Wycombe.  This was a lot nicer than having to grovel up to Great Kingshill hoping my tyres would hold together...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

frere yacker

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:04:12 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, the benevolent audax gods invented DIYs so we could avoid the pot luck nature of entering calendar 200s between November and March.

I'll either be looking at the weather pitying you fools or out on the bike enjoying a more local ride that day  :)

« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:04:58 am »
Is this a ride that uses the same route each year? Does anyone have a .gpx track for it?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2009, 11:01:21 am »
Uses pretty much the same route, although IIRC the direction changed a couple of seasons ago and the route into Great Kingshill was tweaked.  The best way to check will be to contact John or await the routesheet.

A useless bit of info - I used to have a gpx of the route, but deleted it.

Will hopefully see you on this one.  Looking at my comment from last year, I am hoping to be one of the fools this year.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2009, 08:57:47 pm »
How would riding this the day after flying back ~8 time zones rate on the fool scale?

I'm rather alarmed even to find myself asking this...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2009, 09:24:27 pm »

A useless bit of info - I used to have a gpx of the route, but deleted it.

It is on Bikely though if anyone wants to look.

« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2009, 01:50:41 am »

Thanks RF. Nice to meet you again on Saturday on the Upper Thames.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2009, 12:39:14 pm »
How would riding this the day after flying back ~8 time zones rate on the fool scale?

I did the 2005 Golden Tints the day after flying back from Arizona.

I would not do so again unless it meant buggering up RRTY.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #11 on: 09 November, 2009, 02:33:06 pm »

Are you flying from the East (i.e. very-long-day) or the West (overnight / short night)?

In May I flew back from Beijing (8 time zones) and then got up the following morning to cycle ~100 miles touring.
This was not bad as:
- I was able to have a couple late starts the days before leaving, to edge my body time zone west a bit.
- I got some kip on the plane
- we set off very early, to keep in line with my 8 hours fast body clock (and Emma does mornings well anyway)
- nice sunny weather whilst cycling helped keep me awake
- as it was touring every minute awake was quality cycling time: we could just set off straight from home with no faff just "getting to the start of the ride"

I'd think I'd be a little more reluctant to do it in middle of winter.

« Reply #12 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:15:20 pm »

THanks for that...

Can't be too many 200s that cross three motorways!

Anyone got any idea how hilly it is? How does it compare to the Upper Thames? I'm considering it as a second excursion into audax after greatly enjoying the UT last Saturday... Any assurances on the weather would be appreciated as well!

« Reply #13 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:27:30 pm »
Anyone got any idea how hilly it is? How does it compare to the Upper Thames?

Very similar. With a similar kick or two at the end.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #14 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:29:25 pm »
Anyone got any idea how hilly it is?

Bikely's elevation profile tool says 1122M, compared to 1374M for the Upper Thames.  I reckon it's probably slightly under-estimating, but I assume that'll be fairly consistent from route to route.  It's certainly no hillier.

Thing1: yes, I'll be flying west.  I'm considering my options...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #15 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »
Bikely's elevation profile tool says 1122M, compared to 1374M for the Upper Thames.

Careful, both of those bikely routes are sparse routes, one routepoint per routesheet instruction. The only elevation points it knows about are the elevations at the points corresponding to the instructions. If the road climbs and then falls between the two points then that elevation gain doesn't get counted. The real ascent figure for the Upper Thames is a shade under 2000m. The SBWW is, from memory, less than 100m climbing extra.

« Reply #16 on: 09 November, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »
Careful, both of those bikely routes are sparse routes

I thought that sounded like an underestimate for the UT. For me it's also about how steep the climbs are. There's a world of a difference between a 300m climb over the course of an hour or two and doing same in the space of a mile. I reckon the climbing from Bicester to Chippy on the UT is about the same ascent as the climb up to Stoke Rowe, probably a bit more, but while it is a drag it doesn't quite take it out of you in the same way... provided you are prepared to be patient!

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 09 November, 2009, 10:43:07 pm »
Anyone got any idea how hilly it is?

Bikely's elevation profile tool says 1122M, compared to 1374M for the Upper Thames.  I reckon it's probably slightly under-estimating, but I assume that'll be fairly consistent from route to route.  It's certainly no hillier.

Thing1: yes, I'll be flying west.  I'm considering my options...

1374m is massively underestimating the UT.  It's about 1950.

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2009, 10:43:41 pm »
Oh look, an echo.  :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 10 November, 2009, 09:23:04 am »
Careful, both of those bikely routes are sparse routes

I thought that sounded like an underestimate for the UT. For me it's also about how steep the climbs are. There's a world of a difference between a 300m climb over the course of an hour or two and doing same in the space of a mile. I reckon the climbing from Bicester to Chippy on the UT is about the same ascent as the climb up to Stoke Rowe, probably a bit more, but while it is a drag it doesn't quite take it out of you in the same way... provided you are prepared to be patient!
You'll probably find SBWW harder then! I think it IS very slightly harder, and statistically you'll get slightly worse weather and slightly more riding in the dark.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bullhorn Ballard

« Reply #20 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:40:57 am »
Anyone have an idea for the amount of entries this attracts ? Much better in the dark to have other riders around I reckon (as per UT).

« Reply #21 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:49:05 am »
Anyone have an idea for the amount of entries this attracts ? Much better in the dark to have other riders around I reckon (as per UT).

At a guess I'd say there will be at least 40 entries. The number of starters depends on the weather. A couple of previous years were affected by particularly bad weather.

2008 - 14 finishers. No idea, I was out of the country.
2007 - 20 finishers. (Dreadful storms this year, I got out of bed, saw the 40mph winds and went back to bed)
2006 - 25 finishers. (Not great weather either, heavy rain early on and late in the day)
2005 - 38 finishers.

I've entered but may have to DNS due to life getting in the way. If I can make it I'll certainly be there as it's a lovely ride.

Bullhorn Ballard

« Reply #22 on: 12 November, 2009, 11:59:20 am »

At a guess I'd say there will be at least 40 entries. The number of starters depends on the weather. A couple of previous years were affected by particularly bad weather.

2007 - 20 finishers. (Dreadful storms this year, I got out of bed, saw the 40mph winds and went back to bed)
2006 - 25 finishers. (Not great weather either, heavy rain early on and late in the day)
2005 - 38 finishers.

I've entered but may have to DNS due to life getting in the way. If I can make it I'll certainly be there as it's a lovely ride.

Thanks. Law of averages ensures good weather this year then ! (probably shouldn't say that). I'm still in 2 minds but most likely will enter.

« Reply #23 on: 12 November, 2009, 01:12:29 pm »

2005 - 38 finishers.

Last year was very very cold and very very icy. My water froze to slush on the ride to the start and I fell on the ice in the morning. In the evening, the roads got very frosty and I abandoned to ride home on the main road (home was closer than the start).

I rode the year before as well, and I've found it much harder than the Upper Thames both times.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 12 November, 2009, 01:26:04 pm »
I don't recall the SBWW as being especially harder than the UT. Maybe absence make the heart grow fonder.  I didn't ride last year. I've not had problems with ice on the roads but suffered on occasion with gloves full of icy cold rainwater.  There's no doubt that winter is colder then summer so best bring along all your cold/wet weather gear. It all depends weather...