Author Topic: What's your daily driver/battle station?  (Read 3421 times)

ian

Re: What's your daily driver/battle station?
« Reply #25 on: 15 May, 2018, 08:38:18 pm »
Up until about 8 years ago a new computer added noticeable speed increases, I updated every three years or so. Now it is hardly noticeable. I render HD footage fast, compared with letting a DV clip render overnight 20 years ago, or 10 years ago an HD clip taking 10 mins per min of play to render. I suppose if I was doing loads of 4K additional power would be good, but I’d have run out of disk space. 4K seems to be useful for panning in an HD output.

I've mentioned that I have a perfectly capable Mac Mini from 2009 – the only boost it's had is an SSD – but it starts in under twenty seconds and runs most apps quickly (Word, Chrome, etc.) Sure, if you want to rip a movie or some such, you may as well as go down the pub while it happens.

My key things are a good screen, keyboard and mouse/trackpad, and that it runs silent and mostly reliable. Probably the most intensive things I do, other than the occasional video render, is print quality graphics. Newish iMac and MacBook don't even pause to think about that kind of stuff these days. I remember when you could go get a cup of tea while Photoshop entered deep contemplation mode.

Re: What's your daily driver/battle station?
« Reply #26 on: 15 May, 2018, 08:55:29 pm »
Up until about 8 years ago a new computer added noticeable speed increases, I updated every three years or so. Now it is hardly noticeable. I render HD footage fast, compared with letting a DV clip render overnight 20 years ago, or 10 years ago an HD clip taking 10 mins per min of play to render. I suppose if I was doing loads of 4K additional power would be good, but I’d have run out of disk space. 4K seems to be useful for panning in an HD output.

I've mentioned that I have a perfectly capable Mac Mini from 2009 – the only boost it's had is an SSD – but it starts in under twenty seconds and runs most apps quickly (Word, Chrome, etc.) Sure, if you want to rip a movie or some such, you may as well as go down the pub while it happens.

My key things are a good screen, keyboard and mouse/trackpad, and that it runs silent and mostly reliable. Probably the most intensive things I do, other than the occasional video render, is print quality graphics. Newish iMac and MacBook don't even pause to think about that kind of stuff these days. I remember when you could go get a cup of tea while Photoshop entered deep contemplation mode.

Mmmm.
Render.
Overnight.....