Author Topic: Interesting facts about Wales  (Read 13558 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Interesting facts about Wales
« Reply #50 on: 31 July, 2018, 08:52:35 pm »
Spesking fluent Welsh is a euphemism for what Australians call "laughing at the grass".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #51 on: 31 July, 2018, 08:54:42 pm »
There's no such thing as Welsh. It's just an act they put on to fool the English. They're all back to English the moment we're gone. Can you believe Daf, they fall for it every time!.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 31 July, 2018, 11:32:48 pm »
Welsh sign factories have additional skips for vowels.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #53 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:44:47 am »
Laverbread isn't actually bread.

But it always beat Stollen.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #54 on: 01 August, 2018, 10:21:26 am »
Nah. Stollen was always the right one. Especially in the afternoon.

Cos theft is proper tea,  right...?

FX: Coat, door.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:06:01 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #56 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:13:05 pm »
It's said that potholes do not exist in Wales, with road surfaces being better than the rest of the UK.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #57 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:15:28 pm »
The Welsh have fifteen different sexes.  In order to procreate they must get together in a special mating ritual, called Rugby.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #58 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:58:25 pm »
Nah. Stollen was always the right one. Especially in the afternoon.

It was a tennis joke.  Very old tennis, I admit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #60 on: 01 August, 2018, 05:00:19 pm »
It's said that potholes do not exist in Wales, with road surfaces being better than the rest of the UK.

This is very much not true.  When I recently complained to Wrexham Borough Council, they said that as a border area, they use them as protection against invading English cyclists and they won't be fixing them (*).

(* They might not have actually said this.)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #61 on: 01 August, 2018, 05:25:51 pm »

This is very much not true.  When I recently complained to Wrexham Borough Council, they said that as a border area, they use them as protection against invading English cyclists and they won't be fixing them (*).

Apologies, but RANT follows...……..

They may not have said that, but as a Cheshire cyclist who occasionally ventures over the border in the Wrexham area (but only when I've had a brain fart and forgotten how bad their roads are), their rural roads (aka cart tracks abandoned even by sheep) are even worse than Cheshire's, because this is the end product of a total lack of local road maintenance. I have reported numerous, lethal, sections of their cart tracks and nothing has been done.  And I'm only 3 miles from the border, so their roads would be attractive, if they were not so flaming dangerous. 

I suspect it'll take the death of a cyclist, thrown off his bike and under the wheels of the monster farm machinery we now have inflicted on unsuitably-small roads (alright, cart tracks) which were fine in the days of horses and carts, and even the old grey Fergie or Ford 135, before anything is done.  Avoid the Penley, Tallarn Green, Hanmer area at all costs.

And breathe......

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 01 August, 2018, 05:46:45 pm »
My take on Welsh road maintenance is that they prefer to keep all the potholes rounded up in the same place.  To that end, they tend to repair roads properly rather than faffing about with patches and chip-seal.  Which is great when you want to use the roads that have been recently repaired, and challenging when you end up on a bit that they haven't got round to yet and is therefore in advanced stages of falling to bits.

« Reply #63 on: 01 August, 2018, 07:59:34 pm »
The village where I used to live was closed for three days so that the only road through it could be resurfaced.

rogerzilla

« Reply #64 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:27:04 pm »
Nine months later there was a rash of babies looking very similar.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #65 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:29:16 pm »
I get that every week.  Llandysul closes at noon on Saturday and reopens on Tuesday morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #66 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:39:13 pm »
You can't get a bus rom Haverfordwest to St. Davids on a Sunday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

« Reply #67 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:43:14 pm »
I was born in the same place as footballer Ian Rush, comedian Greg Davies and acquitted not-rapist Ched Evans.

« Reply #68 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:07:17 pm »
I was born in the same place as footballer Ian Rush, comedian Greg Davies and acquitted not-rapist Ched Evans.

Me too!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
Ian Rush?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #70 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:47:47 pm »
Ian Rush?

Ian Rush was from long enough ago that I know who he is.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #71 on: 01 August, 2018, 10:24:32 pm »

Apologies, but RANT follows...……..

They may not have said that, but as a Cheshire cyclist who occasionally ventures over the border in the Wrexham area (but only when I've had a brain fart and forgotten how bad their roads are), their rural roads (aka cart tracks abandoned even by sheep) are even worse than Cheshire's, because this is the end product of a total lack of local road maintenance. I have reported numerous, lethal, sections of their cart tracks and nothing has been done.  And I'm only 3 miles from the border, so their roads would be attractive, if they were not so flaming dangerous. 

I suspect it'll take the death of a cyclist, thrown off his bike and under the wheels of the monster farm machinery we now have inflicted on unsuitably-small roads (alright, cart tracks) which were fine in the days of horses and carts, and even the old grey Fergie or Ford 135, before anything is done.  Avoid the Penley, Tallarn Green, Hanmer area at all costs.

And breathe......

you cam take that rant and change Cheshire to Cambridgeshire

There is a road right through the middle of Ely that has three feet of potholees kerbside, three feet of potholes down the centreline and about another 3 feet of good road in the middle of each lane.  Drivers get bloody annoyed when I cycle down the middle of the lane.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #72 on: 01 August, 2018, 10:38:10 pm »
I’ve been to Wales a several times myself, both on business and pleasure. In fact I nearly once moved to Wales to work as a DZ dropout when the guy who ran the skydiving school I trained with and was working part time for went and bought a skydiving business on the Gower. It’s the closest I’ve previouly come to leaving BT. but I’d recently met Dr Beardy (Mrs) and decided that she was the one - 35 years later it seems I got that one right 😍

Ive also sailed lake Bala, climbed a hill or two and raced a landrover on Anglysea. I like Wales and the Welsh people I’ve met, but closing pubs on Sunday is a little uncivilised in my mind.  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #73 on: 01 August, 2018, 11:19:18 pm »
They don't do that last bit any more.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #74 on: 02 August, 2018, 12:37:24 am »
It’s been a while since I was in Wales on a Sunday.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.