Author Topic: Making spacers for bar-bag  (Read 3765 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Making spacers for bar-bag
« on: 19 August, 2018, 03:25:01 pm »
I went cheap and bought th basic Decathlon bar-bag; it's exactly the right size and has all the (very limited) spec that I want!

However, the admirably simple strps-n-velcro mounting "system" gives it an instinct to tip back in towards the head-tube - and thus interfering with stuffs (fork-crown light, cables, mudguard etc ... - depending on bike). And it robs your fingers of a few inches of bar-top space [the curse of all bar accesories, of course].

So what would be a good way to get me the benefits of the upmarket mounting systems? The only suggestion I've seen is high-density foam; cut holes for the straps to feed through, which I think might be quite time-consuming without some perfect tool for the job?

Crowd-source me!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Making spacers for bar-bag
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2018, 03:31:05 pm »
PIctures required I think, I can't quite get the scene in my mind.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2018, 03:49:10 pm »
maybe you can do something with Tiramisu bar extensions (£2.99 at Planet-X)

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2018, 03:51:39 pm »
How about using one of the up market systems?

This bit would bolt to your bag (as long as it’ll fit inside, I think it would): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rixen-Kaul-Fixing-Basket-Klickfix/dp/B001CCNCUU

Then one of these mounts on the handlebars: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-klickfix-handlebar-kit/

John

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2018, 04:06:32 pm »
Fit a reflector to the handlebars to hold the bottom of the bag out?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2018, 05:02:31 pm »
Ortlieb ones come with high density foam spacers which sound like they are what you need.

Why don't you email ortlieb and explain that you are one of their best customers, a lifelong ortlieb fan, and you've got all the ortlieb bags but your beloved ortlieb handlebar bag has lost its spacers, and could they pleeeease have a rummage around the office to see if they've got any spare ones lying around?

They have usually obliged when I've done similar.

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »
maybe you can do something with Tiramisu bar extensions (£2.99 at Planet-X)

Isn't that a sort of cake :) ?

« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2018, 06:49:41 pm »
I use spacers made from 40mm black plastic waste pipe on my old Decathlon bar-bag.  Unfortunately the straps on the new bar-bag aren't quite long enough for this to work.

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2018, 07:43:12 pm »
I've got offcuts of 25mm-ish high density foam. I can cut a shape to a template if you can design one, if that helps.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2018, 02:26:16 pm »
I played with the exact same bag. These two options are proper ghetto and need some fine tuning, but I cut a wine cork in half to space it out from the handlebars a bit. Worked fine with some blue tack and a zip tie. I also used a Garmin out front mount angled down to alleviate the angle of the dangle. Worked with a 300mm lens in it, a reflector would do the same job.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2018, 02:49:57 pm »
Some photos would be a good idea

They will help us to help.  Or laugh.  Depending

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
i used one of these accessory mounts (pointed down)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:00:23 pm »

I would guess it's this one - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-bike-handlebar-bag-25l-id_8355750.html
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:28:34 pm »
The Btwin bag is very similar to the standard bar bag that used to be available for the Dawes Galaxys in the 1980s.  A plastic coated wire frame support was also supplied which slipped over the headset and under the bars and the ends of which held the bag up via sewn sleeves. Simple solution and shame is not still in production.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: 20 August, 2018, 08:46:34 pm »
I bought my Carradice bar bag four decades ago. At least at that time, their bags mounted with chrome leather top straps, and webbing around the head tube, and had much the same issues. I came across this is in a bike shop at Hyde Park Corner in Leeds:

It does exactly what you're saying - keeps the bag from dropping towards the head tube, and gives some finger space at the top. If you could find one of those...

I did find this Nitto one, but Planet X are listing it at £40, which seems incompatible in cost terms with your budget bag - and it doesn't give the finger space, by the look of it.

I've no idea what make my rack is - I just saw it and snapped it up.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:25:28 pm »
If you want one of those support frames Matt, I have one you can borrow. They are generally designed for bigger boxy bags though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 21 August, 2018, 08:14:53 am »

I would guess it's this one - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-bike-handlebar-bag-25l-id_8355750.html
Indeedy  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies everyone - too many to address properly. I suspected there was a range of ways to tackle this and I was right!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles