Author Topic: Cycle Training UK  (Read 6959 times)

Cycle Training UK
« on: 22 November, 2018, 09:35:48 am »
Sad news. Cycle Training UK has closed down. They wrote the National Standards for cycling.

This message is posted on their website : -

Cycle Training UK (CTUK) has closed
After 20 years, CTUK ceased training at the end of October 2018.
For 20 years, CTUK has been helping people to enjoy their cycling. We delivered off and on road cycle training from Complete Beginner to Fast Commuter, Maintenance Courses, City & Guild Mechanics Qualifications, Cycling Instructor Training, Dr Bike Surgeries, Driver Awareness Programmes, Inclusive cycling programmes, Workplace Cycling Initiatives and Consultancy.

We are proud of our achievements over the past 20 years which include:

Our contribution to the creation of the cycle training sector making assertive on road cycling a thing
Operating as a collective then a coop for 20 years
We professionalised the cycle training sectors providing employment contracts and training for a dedicated team for so long
We created the concept of training drivers in cyclist awareness, now delivered to thousands of drivers across the UK through the Safe Urban Driving scheme
We enabled people to cycle who would never have through of cycling through our award winning projects, Ride Side-by Side and Positive Spin cycling for people with dementia
We would like to thank all the people who trained with us, all our employees, past a present, all the organisation that funded our work, and all the friends of CTUK.

David Dansky commented, “we’ve come a long way in 20 years. We believed that another world is possible, one where people are able to move around actively, comfortably and sustainably. Our aim was to create good realistic cycle training for everyone. Today that’s being done across the UK by the thousands of instructors we have trained and guided. It just won’t be us delivering it in future. However many of the CTUK people who are passionate about changing the way our places look and feel, and helping people move around actively will be continuing this work through other means”.

Does anyone know how/why this has happened?   I trained with them years ago. This is a sad loss.
Rust never sleeps

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Re: Cycle Training UK
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2018, 10:22:55 pm »
Lack of cash to keep paying their instructors.

.pdf PA via LFGSS - https://lfgss.microco.sm/api/v1/files/9e3ebe39d64147375807cb63ee21e113f571b4ca.pdf
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Re: Cycle Training UK
« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2018, 11:49:20 pm »
Iddu,

Thanks for digging that out and posting it here.

Given the steady increase in cycling numbers I'm surprised that demand for their services has dropped off.

A great shame.
Rust never sleeps