Author Topic: External cladding for insulation  (Read 1541 times)

External cladding for insulation
« on: 21 December, 2018, 08:33:36 am »
Our house is fairly poorly insulated. It's just over 100 years old so no surprise really

However the worst part is the kitchen and bathroom which is on the ground floor at back of house and just single skin brick. Theory is that it was an out house which was then incorporated into the house.

However I want to insulate this part as it is cold. Internal insulation isn't really an option as is a small space. I'm considering cladding in timber with insulation between wall and timber. Anyone got experience of this?

Re: External cladding for insulation
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2018, 08:40:52 am »
Nope.

But I did have my entire house externally insulated 7 years ago (partially paid for by eco grant) and it is extraordinary how much difference it makes.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:12:07 pm »
What method was used HF?
Pen Pusher

« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:27:13 pm »
I suggest that you have a chat with your local authority environmental health department. They should be able to advise on appropriate systems and any planning requirements. You never know, there may be some grant available. There are loads of differing external insulation systems out there with some being mechanically fixed using proprietary fixings whilst others, where render is being used, are carried in a stainless steel cage, itself being mechanically fixed. If at all possible the half brick walls should be upgraded, killing two birds with one stone.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
What method was used HF?

Big foam squares screwed onto existing render/brick, then rendered over with French stuff (you'd have to remind me of name)

« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:43:59 pm »
We did get a quote for doing something very similar to our village hall.
Unfortunately, I wasn't involved in the details, so don't know the company, but it was technically possible, just too expensive for us.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2018, 06:43:07 pm »
In my last house I timber clad the kitchen ceiling. Made a big difference and wasn't too difficult.

« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2018, 07:14:41 pm »
We did get a quote for doing something very similar...
I could ask the person who did speak to the supplier for details. They're based in South Wales.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."