Author Topic: Asymmetric front disc rim query  (Read 1182 times)

Asymmetric front disc rim query
« on: 11 February, 2019, 04:01:12 pm »
Ok, I have just bought a disc specific deep road rim to build a new dynohub front wheel. It has just turned up and is asymmetric. It's a Ryde DP18 rim. I need a 30mm deep black rim to match the rear wheel and choices were limited in 32 hole.

I've re-read the blurb and it says "The asymmetric shape even adds more durability to the DP18 Sped Disc wheels. The use goes from road racing to gravel racing and cyclocross" I hadn't picked up on that when I ordered. I always thought asymmetric was only for rear dished wheels.

is this correct for a front disc rim?

and

if so, which way around do they go?

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Re: Asymmetric front disc rim query
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2019, 05:39:18 pm »
you can use asymmetric rims on front disc brake hubs (with the holes offset to the right) and it usually results in a stronger wheel.  The offset in the rim usually doesn't fully equalise the spoke tensions; it varies a bit from one hub to another but  there is quite a lot of dish on most  standard  disc brake front wheels.

What hub are you using?

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2019, 06:36:14 pm »

What hub are you using?

cheers

Love mud Juice (SP DYNAMO PD-8) dynamo hub.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-juice
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2019, 11:42:30 pm »
unlike many disc brake front hubs PD-8 has a narrow and almost symmetric flange spacing (but unequal flange diameters) so spoke tensions (eg for 32x3) end up within ~1% of one another with a symmetric rim. In this case unfortunately an asymmetric rim will do you no good; it will only make the spoke tension imbalance worse.  I'd suggest that you get a symmetric rim instead.

cheers