Author Topic: Ixon IQ  (Read 998 times)

Ixon IQ
« on: 17 February, 2019, 06:22:48 pm »
My Ixon IQ fell off my bike today (I probably hadn't fully engaged the clip when swapping between bikes). It opened and spilled all the AA batteries, which I managed to find, but doesn't work any longer. I have ordered a new Premium model, but would like to repair the old one if possible. Looks as though the LED may be dislodged, but I can't see how to get inside. How does the front lens come off? If I drive out the hinge pin of the battery holder, can I get to the bulb from inside?

Thanks for any ideas.

dat

Re: Ixon IQ
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2019, 06:30:27 pm »
I was looking at buying the premium model, well a pair for longer audaxes. Do you know how they compare to an IQ-X?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2019, 06:47:05 pm »
Not as good, nowhere near.  I have pretty iffy night vision and I can happily ride at full tilt with the IQ-X on the LHT but I have to slow down with the Ixon IQ Premium on the Moulton.  The IQ-X is mounted on the fork crown, the Ixon is on the bars.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2019, 07:27:17 pm »
Yeah, you can drive out the hinge pin (and even more impressively, drive it back in again without b0rking anything).  I forget the rest of the details, but that was the tricky bit.  You can then marvel at whoever thought that 12 single-point-of-failure spring contacts were a good idea.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2019, 08:21:58 pm »
I have one for spares, see free stuff!!

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2019, 08:55:32 pm »
Yeah, you can drive out the hinge pin (and even more impressively, drive it back in again without b0rking anything).  I forget the rest of the details, but that was the tricky bit.  You can then marvel at whoever thought that 12 single-point-of-failure spring contacts were a good idea.

Thanks for the tip! I found one of the rear contacts was bent and not touching the battery, it works again now  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:07:16 pm »
If you need to replace an IQ, get the IQ Speed instead.
More light (not that you'll probably be able to notice) and no springy things to fail.
Downside is that you'll have to find somewhere to hang the battery pack.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:50:56 pm »
Glad you were able to fix it.   :thumbsup:

As a former IxonIQ user, I second the suggestion of the IQ Speed or the dynamo alternatives (I'm a happy user of both the IQ-X and the Cyo Premium).  The IxonIQ was an excellent light when it was first released, but the battery compartment has serious design flaws, and the ability to run from AA batteries is less of an advantage than it was 10 years ago.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2019, 10:05:42 pm »
Or the new Ixon Space or IQ-X Speed?
Should be a lot brighter anyway, though more expensive.