Author Topic: Chiltern Grit  (Read 2643 times)

Chiltern Grit
« on: 17 February, 2019, 09:15:41 pm »
Last route checks completed. Weather booked (who needs the grit when there is no snow). Email to riders set for Mon pm. Still a couple of places left on the 200 km if you are looking for some company on Saturday, or the 100 km if you leave it too late for the 200. :-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Chiltern Grit
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2019, 09:27:02 pm »
Last route checks completed. Weather booked (who needs the grit when there is no snow). Email to riders set for Mon pm. Still a couple of places left on the 200 km if you are looking for some company on Saturday, or the 100 km if you leave it too late for the 200. :-)

For a BRM, how come the 7% over distance ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2019, 11:23:07 pm »
I was sure I'd entered the 100km again, but it turns out I'd delayed while negotiating for use of the car. I've entered now :thumbsup:

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2019, 12:18:02 am »
>For a BRM, how come the 7% over distance ?

<OHO>
Jocelyn, YHM...
</OHO>
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2019, 09:52:19 am »
Thanks @quixoticgeek and @iddu,

Short answer: we have a shorter (unsalted) route (209 km) and with wonderful weather being clearly delivered shall promote it's use widely.

Long answer: There would be a shorter shorter route, but for half of population of Aylesbury visiting Bicester Village outlets via fast and furious A41 on a Saturday.

Kind regards,

Jocelyn

« Reply #5 on: 19 February, 2019, 01:33:31 am »
... and I'm pleased (and a bit tired) to add we have (noted fine weather envisaged, ditched gritted roads and) now have a route sheet and a gpx file that (agree with each other and ) measure in at 205.8 km -- checking navigation and road conditions on bike tomorrow (oops, later today).

Night night.

Jocelyn

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2019, 08:49:55 pm »
Well done Jocelyn and team. A great audax helped by kind weather. Good breakfast, great cafe stops and a warm welcome at the finish. Great company on the ride - too many riders to mention so thank you everybody.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2019, 09:10:29 pm »
I was particularly impressed by the variety of the weather you managed to book.  Certainly a ride of two halves.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2019, 10:02:04 pm »
Well that was odd. My diary says 9am, the paperwork says 9am, the AUK Web site says 9am, so why did I get it into my head that it started at 10am? Happily, when I did finally show up, Jocelyn and team were still just locking up the hall, so I set off 50 minutes after everyone else.

The good thing about that was that I got the best of the day. The sun had burnt the mist off the lowlands, and it wasn't until the top of Kingston Grove that visibility became an issue for a short stretch. On the way back, of course, it was blue skies all the way.

Not so good was that riders were coming back the other way from well before Christmas Common, which was a bit depressing...

The new garden centre control was good.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2019, 10:09:08 pm »
I was wondering why you were so far back.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2019, 10:26:45 pm »
I was particularly impressed by the variety of the weather you managed to book.  Certainly a ride of two halves.   :thumbsup:

'Ah look, a velo couche' - wondered if that might have been you heading out over the Chilterns to the first control as I was heading back on the 200 [I was on me old Peugeot - back to bent soon ]. What was it with that USS? Street Machine?

Definitely a game of two halves Brian. Coming off the hills felt a bit like watching a black and white film suddenly turn to full spectrum colour. I was glad to get that first section over and done with. Lovely afternoon followed.

Many thanks to Jocelyn for the hard work.
Garry Broad

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2019, 10:37:09 pm »

'Ah look, a velo couche' - wondered if that might have been you heading out over the Chilterns to the first control as I was heading back on the 200 [I was on me old Peugeot - back to bent soon ]. What was it with that USS? Street Machine?

Yep.  Far from an ideal bike for audax on account of the weight (it's brilliant at touring), but I can usually[1] get round a 100 on it without drama and it's a good choice when crap roads, crap weather or crap drivers are likely to be an issue.

[1] Had knee pain for the last 20km today.  I think I was pushing too high a gear for the first part of the ride, probably because I've done my usual switching-to-upwrongs-over-the-winter thing, but without losing as much fitness as I normally do on account of mild weather and not too much lurgy.

« Reply #12 on: 23 February, 2019, 11:43:42 pm »
I was wondering why you were so far back.
Completely daft. Nice to see you both though. And the foursome riding Bromptons reminded me that I've promised myself to take mine round a 100k sometime. Probably not one that goes over the Chilterns, however.