Author Topic: LEL - Volunteers  (Read 11813 times)

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
Re: Volunteers
« Reply #25 on: 04 June, 2009, 10:56:27 pm »
Hmmm, not exactly cartoon characters. We could wear blue wigs and red jumpsuits if it would help though!  :)

Yeah, sounds stylish enough for a new BBC Watch with Mother programme.  Will you have magical powers? Like feeding over 600?  Mind the cow looks a bit like Ermintrude!  ;D
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #26 on: 04 June, 2009, 11:01:10 pm »
I hope to be volunteering at Middleton Tyas at some point, depending on work.

Not if it involves jumpsuits, though! ;D

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #27 on: 04 June, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »

Ohhhh, good, they need more volunteers at Middleton Tyas, have you been in touch?  What's wrong with a jumpsuit? Stylish...I hope you don't look like your picture! Or we are all in trouble  ;)

« Reply #28 on: 04 June, 2009, 11:27:11 pm »

Ohhhh, good, they need more volunteers at Middleton Tyas, have you been in touch?  What's wrong with a jumpsuit? Stylish...I hope you don't look like your picture! Or we are all in trouble  ;)

Work has that effect on me...

I haven't been in touch with the controller yet (whoever it is).  I'd like to find out first if I can get the time off, which is dependant upon absurd work roolz.

If I can, I'll man the place through the Sunday night/Monday morning - I only live in Darlo, so it's 45 minutes from my doorstep.

And I've never drank in the Shoulder of Mutton in Middleton Tyas, which is a bit of a gap in my CV.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #29 on: 04 June, 2009, 11:29:34 pm »
If you need the contact details, PM me and I will let you know

border-rider

Re: LEL - Volunteers
« Reply #30 on: 26 October, 2009, 06:39:17 pm »
Just a quick question  - of those who volunteered to help, who's had/not had their travelling/other expenses paid ?

alan

« Reply #31 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:42:55 pm »
Just a quick question  - of those who volunteered to help, who's had/not had their travelling/other expenses paid ?

I didn't make a claim

Chris S

« Reply #32 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:47:36 pm »

I didn't make a claim

Neither did I. Lynn sent me the necessary forms, but TBH it was a break away from the norm, a great experience, and one I was happy to finance myself.

alan

« Reply #33 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:50:23 pm »

I didn't make a claim

Neither did I. Lynn sent me the necessary forms, but TBH it was a break away from the norm, a great experience, and one I was happy to finance myself.
My attitude also.Plus the incentive of a gauranteed ride in 2013 having volunteered this last time :thumbsup:

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #34 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:52:08 pm »

I didn't make a claim

Noooooo, Chris, you should have claimed, you were and still are worth a million x

Chris S

« Reply #35 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:53:29 pm »

I didn't make a claim

Noooooo, Chris, you should have claimed, you were and still are worth a million x

Awwww... shucks. Thanks Lynn  :-*

But it wasn't about money...

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #36 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:55:36 pm »

I didn't make a claim

I know hun, but fair's fair x

Awwww... shucks. Thanks Lynn  :-*

But it wasn't about money...

« Reply #37 on: 26 October, 2009, 08:00:08 pm »
No travelling expenses claimed.
I cycled.
Cycling is what I like to do. 8)
I more than broke even with all the surplus food that I snaffled afterwards. ;D

border-rider

« Reply #38 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:01:02 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't clear, what I'm interested in is who's been/not paid expenses who requested them, not whether you felt it appropriate to claim in your own particular circumstances.  Ta.

I'd also slightly resist any moral pressure for people to not claim if they paid out of their own pockets  eg for train fares and feel they need the cash - the overall management was done on a commercial basis after all.  This is not money that would otherwise go to Audax UK, and these are legitimate expenses associated with the running of the event.

« Reply #39 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:18:29 am »
I didn't put in a claim either (but wear my tshirt proudly) but if you're sorting out the books I'd be interested to know what will happen about refunding payments that were made for photos that were not taken and also in our case additional water bottles which we've only recently realised we didn't get although we paid up front! If there are bottles left over we'd also take another bottle instead of the photo too.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #40 on: 27 October, 2009, 08:56:53 am »
While am not personally making a claim, I support absolutely the right of those who volunteered to have their reasonable travel expenses paid, especially where, as with MV, they volunteered and were asked by Mel to go to the other end of the country.

I have raised this matter with the AUK secretary, and the response I got implied I was not the first to raise it.  While the event was contracted out it was still seen as an "AUK" event, and I am assured that the matter is being taken seriously.  How far the AUK board can (or will) take it remains to be seen.  But as I have pointed out the non-payment of expenses is hardly calculated to ensure volunteers step forward again.

Chris S

« Reply #41 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:00:55 am »
I'd also slightly resist any moral pressure for people to not claim if they paid out and feel they need the cash - the overall management was done on a semi commercial basis after all

I never felt any pressure not to claim. Each to his/her own.

border-rider

« Reply #42 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:11:23 am »
Some of the posts on this thread might be read that way though, even though I'm sure that's not at all how they were intended.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #43 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:26:04 am »

My attitude also.Plus the incentive of a gauranteed ride in 2013 having volunteered this last time :thumbsup:
[/quote]
Is the gauranteed ride in 2013 true as I had no idea.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #44 on: 27 October, 2009, 01:14:58 pm »
Plus the incentive of a gauranteed ride in 2013 having volunteered this last time :thumbsup:

Mine will be on ebay at Christmas 2012 ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #45 on: 28 October, 2009, 11:12:23 pm »
Plus the incentive of a gauranteed ride in 2013 having volunteered this last time :thumbsup:

I'd forgotten about that!  I can't see lack of places being that much of an issue, mind.

« Reply #46 on: 29 October, 2009, 11:02:16 am »
I can't see lack of places being that much of an issue, mind.

Really? Lots of Audax UK members missed out on LEL 2009 because they didn't think there was any rush to enter. LEL 2005 didn't fill up (as far as I know). By the time they did get round to entering (early-ish 2009) they found it was full and there was a waiting list.

I'd guess (only Melita would know the accurate answer) that there were at least 300 people turned away from LEL 2009 because it had filled up. That's a 50% over-subscription. It's only going to get more popular.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #47 on: 29 October, 2009, 04:01:00 pm »
I'd guess (only Melita would know the accurate answer) that there were at least 300 people turned away from LEL 2009 because it had filled up. That's a 50% over-subscription. It's only going to get more popular.

I've also turned away a number of foreign riders, or better said, directed them to other events. Based on the interest on various fora and direct requests, I'd say that with a continues information campaign, 1000 entries would have been very realistic.

border-rider

« Reply #48 on: 29 October, 2009, 04:02:37 pm »
Update on this:

I spoke to Mel today, and she tells me that the last tranche of expenses are, even as we speak, winging their way to the grateful recipients :)

« Reply #49 on: 29 October, 2009, 07:29:40 pm »
I can't see lack of places being that much of an issue, mind.

Really? Lots of Audax UK members missed out on LEL 2009 because they didn't think there was any rush to enter. LEL 2005 didn't fill up (as far as I know). By the time they did get round to entering (early-ish 2009) they found it was full and there was a waiting list.

Wow, I didn't realise it was that over-subscribed.

Besides, I was thinking that volunteers would be more likely than others to sign up early, especially if a guaranteed place was an incentive for them.  If you're thinking about a ride that's four years away, you're unlikely to be among the last to sign up for it.