Author Topic: Stabilisers  (Read 4185 times)

rae

Stabilisers
« on: 28 April, 2008, 05:58:22 pm »
Well, we had a stabilisers topic in the other place, and I promised an update about Son No2, after Son No1's great success with stabilisers. 

Well, here is Son No2, stabiliser free - he'd had them taken off for about 4 weeks when this photo was taken.    He's not yet three and he'd ridden about a mile at this point.

Re: Stabilisers
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:15:47 am »
I'd love to hear more, about how you started (1st bike etc.) all the way to stabilizer-free training... If possible!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rae

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:26:23 am »
The bike in the picture is his first bike - actually it was his brother's bike, but his brother now has an Islabike.   The bike has been around since he was about 2, and it took him very little time to work out the pedalling action.  So by about 2 1/2 he was pedalling to playgroup using stabilisers.   Once he was used to that, bending up the stabilisers was pretty simple, and we realised he was balancing perfectly after about 2 months of riding.   Off came the stabilisers, and away he went.    There was really nothing to it - I think he has been envious of his older brother for so long that he had worked it out already.

Lots of people go for the likeabikes - but I see those getting carried to playgroup every day by exhausted parents.  It seemed easier to give him pedals.

That day in the park we rode about 4 miles in all.  He got a reward at the half way point:

Then we all rode home:

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:31:49 am »
Great photos Rae!  :)

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:32:58 am »
That ice cream looks good ...  :P  ;D

My stabilisers finally got taken off when I was seven.  :-[

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:48:07 am »
Baby G is 16 months old, and on a trike for now; but Santa could be bringing her a bike later on this year...  ::-)

Thanks.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:30:34 am »
There's this little kid who's on an Islabike Rothan - his brother does Go-Ride. Because he isn't really old enough, he can't join in, but he copies us. The other day we were going up and down a earth bank, and he was copying us further along. It's really quite cute.  :D

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:13:28 am »
Well, here is Son No2, stabiliser free...

Well done.

Now its time to get him a trike  ;D

rae

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2008, 01:59:50 pm »
His older brother wants a unicycle....

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2008, 02:46:22 pm »
An Rothan should turn up either today or tomorrow for young Blah. He's 20 months. He's about 4 cm short of Isla's recommended minimum height but the little bruiser that he is, I'm sure he'll get on with it.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:47:41 pm »
His older brother wants a unicycle....

I have one of these...  ;D

We also have a smaller 'Dodger' Unicycle that cost the same from the local bike shop. On the internet they are all £65 ... you could get two big 'uns for that!

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2008, 11:15:56 pm »
An Rothan should turn up either today or tomorrow for young Blah. He's 20 months. He's about 4 cm short of Isla's recommended minimum height but the little bruiser that he is, I'm sure he'll get on with it.

Keep us posted please!

Blah

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2008, 10:28:16 am »
Well, so far it's arrived and very happy with Isla's customer service. We're waiting til the weekend to show him his little present ;-)

Blah

« Reply #13 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:12:04 am »
The bike is small:

(But the garage is large and will house many, many bikes. Just need to finish the doors now).

It's happy owner:

And one of the first rides on the lane behind our house. My apologies about this being a link and not a youtube thingy. I'm not too keen on pictures being too publicly available.

We've not ridden it too much yet as the lane was very wet for the rest of the weekend, and jumping up and down in the puddles was much more fun.