Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 418123 times)

rob

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #2025 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:22:54 pm »
Rob,
EDCA100 on 15 July should be a reasonable substitute ?

It's a possibility.   Weekend before the Mersey 24hr, though.

I'll see how well the Hounslow goes in a couple of weeks, but my dreams of improving my BBAR average are looking like they will be thwarted.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2026 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:33:09 pm »
If you can get a pass to make the trip up to Keswick, the national the week before on the north Lancs course is decent - not quite as fast as the ECCA but you'll keep your losses to within managable levels, almost certainly within the gains you've made from your blistering 50.  Have a look at what Steve Irwin has done on both courses.  It's a very scenic (non-audax use of the word) course that goes up and down by Bassenthwaite lake, so possibly persuade the family to make a weekend of it?

rob

« Reply #2027 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:37:22 pm »
If you can get a pass to make the trip up to Keswick, the national the week before on the north Lancs course is decent - not quite as fast as the ECCA but you'll keep your losses to within managable levels, almost certainly within the gains you've made from your blistering 50.  Have a look at what Steve Irwin has done on both courses.  It's a very scenic (non-audax use of the word) course that goes up and down by Bassenthwaite lake, so possibly persuade the family to make a weekend of it?

Unfortunately my fast 50 is not a BBAR counter so I'm left with my rather average 1:57 from the Charlotteville.   

What I did think about was the Otley 50 on the same weekend.   What are your thoughts on the V258 ?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2028 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:45:53 pm »
Fast.  I did my PB 25 on the single lap version of that course, which was introduced a couple of years ago and quickly became everyone's favourite.  You turn at Knayton which means you don't do the majority of the big drag that you'd do on e.g. the T502, and the Yorkshire end of that road is a bit faster and better surfaced than the Teesside end. 

rob

« Reply #2029 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:58:22 pm »
Fast.  I did my PB 25 on the single lap version of that course, which was introduced a couple of years ago and quickly became everyone's favourite.  You turn at Knayton which means you don't do the majority of the big drag that you'd do on e.g. the T502, and the Yorkshire end of that road is a bit faster and better surfaced than the Teesside end.

Cheers.   Will ride the Hounslow and then decide on the rest of the year.   Form of my life at the age of 45 and logistics are causing me issues.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2030 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:17:43 pm »
Local 25 today, in very windy conditions.

The Laurencekirk course is up and down the local almost-motorway, the A90, and is a fast course normally.
But it's very open and exposed.
Most of us lesser mortals were struggling with the wind, and I could not hold aero position properly for the first 5k or so.
I was holding onto the RH hood to keep control of the bike.
However, I did relax into it a bit, and so long as you stay well out into the lane, you can learn to accept a bit of unplanned course deviation.

Return leg fast, but still not cracked the hour: 1:00:14.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1583930541

Next time!

Feanor

« Reply #2031 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:46:46 pm »
Out local Evening League did a 15 tonight, which is a distance I've not done before.
It's on our normal 10 out-and-back course, but extended a bit.
The only problem is that the extension is up a blooming great hill!

Conditions were fine, if a tad cold. Wind was mostly modest, and from the side.

According to Mr Garmin, I managed 35:31, which is OK for that course.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1589465462/segments/39765203698

Official results will be out in a day or so.

I have managed to loose the visor from my new S-works TT helmet.
I took the helmet off at the finish, as it misted up when I stopped and the air-flow through it stopped.
I hooked it over the aero-bars on the short ride back to the hall, and when I went to go home, the visor was gone.
I rode back up the road to look for it, but nothing.
Bah.

« Reply #2032 on: 24 May, 2018, 08:38:30 pm »
Sorry I missed you.   Might see you at the Hounslow 100 in a few weeks ?

After a few ups and downs, I'm pretty sure I will be riding on Sunday so will look out for you - most likely a red flash coming past me at some point!

I see from the start sheet see you have a TT novice off immediately in front of you!

rob

« Reply #2033 on: 24 May, 2018, 10:00:04 pm »
Sorry I missed you.   Might see you at the Hounslow 100 in a few weeks ?

After a few ups and downs, I'm pretty sure I will be riding on Sunday so will look out for you - most likely a red flash coming past me at some point!

I see from the start sheet see you have a TT novice off immediately in front of you!

I think he’s ridden quite a good 24.....

« Reply #2034 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:02:10 am »
TT last night.  Windy and I was late so had to do a TT to get there on time! The finish kinda snuck up on me, so I should have killed myself more in the last mile or 2 (into the headwind). I think I was kinda in the same mode as when I was getting to the start! Some seriously fast people there - I was #10 and got overtaken by #s 13, 15, 16, and 17!
The whole ride is here:
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/34917534-condor-tt-3

The base numbers are NP 254, AvgP 243, AvgHR 160. I need to produce some more power, but I think I need to get my aero better too...
Official time 28:45, so 8 seconds short of my 10 PB (which was with an average power of 252). There were 2 guys in the 21s yesterday, but I don't know if that's because the course was faster or just there were some seriously quick people there.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2035 on: 26 May, 2018, 04:28:53 pm »
wondering if 50mi warmup is too long or ok for the 100mi tt. how long/late before my time slot do i need to sign in at the hq?

« Reply #2036 on: 26 May, 2018, 04:41:40 pm »
Depends how far the start is from the HQ.  I have been caught out in the past.

rob

« Reply #2037 on: 26 May, 2018, 05:05:04 pm »
wondering if 50mi warmup is too long or ok for the 100mi tt. how long/late before my time slot do i need to sign in at the hq?

Start about a 15-20 min ride from the HQ.   There’s a side lane you can ride up and down near there.   I won’t be doing more than 30mins warm up.

You need time to sign in, pick up your number, pin it on and ride off.   I’ll be there a bit over an hour before my start time.   You’re off 1 min in front of me so I don’t expect to see you until we, hopefully, have a coffee afterwards.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2038 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:08:45 pm »

actually, i decided to dns due to the rain and thunderstorms forecast tomorrow. i'm not very keen on cycling on a dual carriageway if the visibility is poor, hey ho.

(now, what do i do with all the mixed energy drink!..)

rob

« Reply #2039 on: 27 May, 2018, 12:12:12 pm »
Weather turned out to be reasonable.   Still, mild & dry.

I passed an overturned car at about 2 Miles and guessed the event would be called off.   By the time I got back there at 9 Miles they had stopped the race.   Driver was pissed and had lost control.

No riders injured.   Need to juggle my calendar......again.

« Reply #2040 on: 28 May, 2018, 01:17:04 am »
Heard about that, apparently quite dramatic / high speed incident. 
I'd already decided to DNS due to baby not well so saved the wasted journey, and wasted energy drink, as I'd measured it out but not put water in!

Feanor

« Reply #2041 on: 29 May, 2018, 11:17:15 pm »
Finally managed to sneak in under the hour on the infernal AB25/4 25TT course.
Slight tailwind on the way out was a niggly headwind on the way back, as you'd expect.
The course is lumpier than the elevation profile suggests!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1604464163

I'm going to rest now, because I have the West Highlands 1000k in a couple of days.
I've signed up as a marshal next Tuesday, because I don't think I'll be fit to TT that soon after the 1000k.

rob

« Reply #2042 on: 10 June, 2018, 01:56:52 pm »
Marshalling duty at the Kent 100 this morning.   Stayed around to watch at the Brenzett roundabout for an hour in the sun.   Pleasant way to spend the morning after a long ride yesterday.

National 12hr champs next weekend.   Back to weather watching.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2043 on: 10 June, 2018, 07:21:03 pm »
thank you for your service rob, it was too late to shout "hi" before i realised it was you :)

my first 100mi tt went quite alright, averaged 40kph at 220w and finished in 4:00:28, which i'm pretty happy about. still felt tired after the tinat600k audax last weekend, that wiped me out more than i'd expected. should have done around 3:55 if i was fully rested/recovered (on today's course and conditions). it was a good learning opportunity about nutrition, hydration and pacing.

« Reply #2044 on: 10 June, 2018, 07:52:19 pm »
thank you for your service rob, it was too late to shout "hi" before i realised it was you :)

my first 100mi tt went quite alright, averaged 40kph at 220w and finished in 4:00:28, which i'm pretty happy about. still felt tired after the tinat600k audax last weekend, that wiped me out more than i'd expected. should have done around 3:55 if i was fully rested/recovered (on today's course and conditions). it was a good learning opportunity about nutrition, hydration and pacing.

Well done!  Shame not to get under 4h but, given your preparation and the course, a great ride.  You will go well under on a fast course when tapered.  Any plans to do Brekland, Yorkshire or the BDCA this year?  That time will get you a place in the fast ones now. 

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2045 on: 11 June, 2018, 12:35:11 pm »
Well done!  Shame not to get under 4h but, given your preparation and the course, a great ride.  You will go well under on a fast course when tapered.  Any plans to do Brekland, Yorkshire or the BDCA this year?  That time will get you a place in the fast ones now.

thank you Frank, i haven't yet looked at other events. while riding these events is fun, what i would really want to do is raise my power first and then start competing (will take some time though!..)

« Reply #2046 on: 11 June, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »

thank you Frank, i haven't yet looked at other events. while riding these events is fun, what i would really want to do is raise my power first and then start competing (will take some time though!..)
Do you know what your power is now Zigzag? I'm really curious whether my TTs (28 minute 10s so far) are slow because of a lack of power or a lack of aero (obviously both improving would be nice).

« Reply #2047 on: 11 June, 2018, 03:55:02 pm »
Duncan, it depends how fast the course is that you are riding on, and the day.  For a fast course your times would be slow for your power.  If it is a hilly course with rough roads on a windy day, they are reasonably quick.

Normally people new to TTing can expect to make ongoing aero gains for quite a while as you fine tune things and get used to riding in a different position. And throw increasing amounts of money at the problem!

FWIW my PB for 25 miles was 57:32 and I had an average power of 230W.  My 100 PB is 4:08:10 and I did that with just under 200W - but those were both on fast courses.  On a slow 25 course 230W might get me around 1:05:00

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2048 on: 11 June, 2018, 03:58:07 pm »
i haven't tested my ftp in aerobars, could be around 260w at a guess. there are no easy wins in tt racing: latest aero equipment costs a fair bit and training takes time and willpower.

« Reply #2049 on: 11 June, 2018, 04:26:59 pm »
i haven't tested my ftp in aerobars, could be around 260w at a guess. there are no easy wins in tt racing: latest aero equipment costs a fair bit and training takes time and willpower.
I'm discovering that to be the case! My road setup FTP is 261, but what it is in aero setup is unknown! I'll test it when I change my bike back again (I'm done with team TTs for the year from Saturday). I was hoping that I could get some free speed by changing my position, but I'd need to know what I'm doing to do that! ;)
I'm super impressed by your first 100 time  :thumbsup: even if you missed 4 hours by not much.