Author Topic: Nippy Sweetie - Saturday 14th November 2009 - Edinburgh  (Read 14479 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Re: Nippy Sweetie - Saturday 14th November 2009 - Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: 08 October, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »
Entry form filled in tonight to be posted tomorrow - hopefully before the posties get out on strike!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #26 on: 08 October, 2009, 11:10:35 pm »
Well done Eck on taking over the DIY organizer's roll
Does that mean you'll have to go to  the AUK AGM now instead of the curry night?  ;) :demon:
AGM....  ??? ...curry night.... :)  ... curry night....  8):....  AGM..... ::-).. curry night....  :thumbsup:

Don't be daft.  ;D

Of course I was being daft

But seriously, the AGM lasts no more than 2 hours normally, the last time we were there, VC 167 team arrived just as the AGM finished and headed straight for the bar!  You don't have to go to the AGM but you can enjoy the crak and company for the rest of the weekend anyway. Mrs Ernst has to attend for the LEL debrief in an attempt to prevent this year's fiasco being repeated.

We will go down on Friday night so that we can go out for a plesant cycle on Saturday morning, get back for lunch and the AGM starting at 2pm. Afterwards beers before the main event of the weekend, dinner and prize giving. :thumbsup:

It's a good weekend out with our friends south of the border.
Although York seems a bit of a trek, realistically it's not going to come any further north, so effectively it's a home event  :-\

If its not acceptable to organize a DIY ride on the same weekend as a local event,
Is it OK to have a DIY social  ???

Rant over, really I'm just a bit miffed that we are missing yet another Ecosse curry night, hope you all enjoy it anyway.   ::-)

Ernst

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #27 on: 09 October, 2009, 08:31:02 am »
If its not acceptable to organize a DIY ride on the same weekend as a local event,
Is it OK to have a DIY social  ???
Seein' as how your DIY social is outside Scotland, and therefore beyond my remit as the local DIY orgainser, it's not really for me to say. However, someone may be along later with a view rant on the matter.   ;)

Maybe next year. Meanwhile, we'll raise a glass bottle of Magner's to "absent friends".  :thumbsup:

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #28 on: 09 October, 2009, 10:22:47 am »
Although York seems a bit of a trek, realistically it's not going to come any further north, so effectively it's a home event  :-\

Maybe, if you live in Embra  ::-)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #29 on: 09 October, 2009, 01:35:17 pm »
Maybe we should all start thinking about what we'll do if the SNP get their way and Scotland votes in independence? We'd have to set up an AUK type organisation: Audax Scotland, Audax Ecosse or my favorite, the Scottish Associated Fellowship of Randonneurs and Long Distance Cyclists, incorporating Audax Ecosse (SAFRLDCAE for short).

Personally, I'd make sure that future SAFRLDCAE AGMs do not fall on the same date as the YACF Ecosse curry noight.  In fact, I'd make sure that this condition was incorporated in the articles of the new organisation.

« Reply #30 on: 09 October, 2009, 01:39:18 pm »

Maybe, if you live in Embra  ::-)

I'm not saying it's wrong to have Curry night for Scottish Audaxers, in fact I think Graeme is doing a brilliant job in organizing it, not to mention all the other DIY rides and events  he organizes. :thumbsup:

I just think that it might send the wrong message to our fellow UK club members down south, having it on the same weekend as the AGM/prize dinner, especially as it won't get any closer.

If it had been on a diffrent weekend for instance, 3 more couples (who all do a fair bit of Organizing and helping at events), would have had the opartunity to go too ::-)

Anyway, as Eck said, 'maybe next year' and no dought we will also have a drink to absent friends :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 09 October, 2009, 02:39:03 pm »
I just think that it might send the wrong message to our fellow UK club members down south, having it on the same weekend as the AGM/prize dinner, especially as it won't get any closer.

That's a fairly clear message in my opinion. 

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #32 on: 09 October, 2009, 04:38:26 pm »
Well done Eck on taking over the DIY organizer's roll
Does that mean you'll have to go to  the AUK AGM now instead of the curry night?  ;) :demon:
AGM....  ??? ...curry night.... :)  ... curry night....  8):....  AGM..... ::-).. curry night....  :thumbsup:

Don't be daft.  ;D

Is it OK to have a DIY social  ???

Yes of course it is.  

- They are hundred of miles apart.
- Nobody who attended the YACF social event last year indicated that the "clash" with the AUK AGM caused a problem.
- As far as I am aware two people who didnt attend last years YACF social event hoped to attend both this year.
- I started a thread here on 4th August regarding the YACF social event, I received an Arrivee with details of the AGM after that IIRC.  
- Lots of folk who attended last year aren't members of AUK.

For an event that has attracted almost 30 peope attending, having just 2 who want to attend the YACF social (but cant) is something I consider a minor triumph of organisation.    

Its fair to say that the AUK AGM has zero profile in Scotland - in 25+ years of audaxing I have never heard anybody talk about it let alone attend.  Maybe we're all missing out a great social occasion, I genuinely dont know but my sole source of information on the subject (Arrivee) has never made me desparate to attend.  Anyhow, start a separate thread on that one if required, now bugger off and leave this thread to focus on the 200k on 14th November.

Not sure if that qualifies as a rant.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #33 on: 09 October, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »
Maybe we should all start thinking about what we'll do if the SNP get their way and Scotland votes in independence? We'd have to set up an AUK type organisation: Audax Scotland, Audax Ecosse or my favorite, the Scottish Associated Fellowship of Randonneurs and Long Distance Cyclists, incorporating Audax Ecosse (SAFRLDCAE for short).

Personally, I'd make sure that future SAFRLDCAE AGMs do not fall on the same date as the YACF Ecosse curry noight.  In fact, I'd make sure that this condition was incorporated in the articles of the new organisation.
Wouldn't it be easier to tell Audax UK to get their collective finger out and have their AGM north of York now and again?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #34 on: 09 October, 2009, 07:20:47 pm »
leave this thread to focus on the 200k on 14th November.

On that note, do you have any more route details/gpx file? I like to prepare in advance (even when I sleep in)

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #35 on: 09 October, 2009, 08:55:25 pm »
Anyhow, start a separate thread on that one if required, now bugger off and leave this thread to focus on the 200k on 14th November.
:thumbsup:
... and also on that note, can I just confirm my earlier offer* to ride shotgun at the back of the field with any inexperienced 200k riders so that, if you get lost, I get lost with you, and no-one gets left behind in the scary dark. So, if anyone is dithering about entering due to lack of riding 200s, stop worrying and get your entry in.  :)

*NB: T&C. This offer does not extend to any retired long-streaks-of-misery from the Angus area who may be threatening to come out of retirement. You know who you are, and you can find your own way round.  :-* ;)

« Reply #36 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:02:38 pm »
....you can find your own way round.  :-* ;)[/i]

That would be a first!  ;) ;D

« Reply #37 on: 09 October, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »
Well, I might go along purely to keep Eck company ... he'll claim he's going slow for my benefit, but I'll know the truth.

« Reply #38 on: 10 October, 2009, 12:25:49 am »
Well, I might go along purely to keep Eck company ..

A very noble gesture Ariadne.  Eck does belong to an older generation; and we must look after the auld yins.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #39 on: 10 October, 2009, 08:20:24 am »
Well, I might go along purely to keep Eck company ... he'll claim he's going slow for my benefit, but I'll know the truth.
:hand:
Och, you promised that would be our little secret.  :-X

A very noble gesture Ariadne.  Eck does belong to an older generation; and we must look after the auld yins.
::-)
You must be getting on a bit, yersel' :P

« Reply #40 on: 10 October, 2009, 10:50:32 am »
Graeme you have PM  ::-)

I've just had a look at your route sheet
Looks good on paper, I will have the perfect route checker on the back of the bike tomorrow ;)

We'll see you about 8am

Ernst

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #41 on: 10 October, 2009, 03:05:04 pm »
Just to say that I won't be able to make it along tomorrow, but if the weather's anything like today, you'll have a great day out.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #42 on: 10 October, 2009, 03:30:37 pm »
Aye looks like my perfect kind of day for cycling - dry, cool & crisp and with a tailwind for the last 100k (fingers crossed). 

Am taking the camera for info control purposes so watch out. 

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #43 on: 11 October, 2009, 06:25:28 pm »
Aye looks like my perfect kind of day for cycling - dry, cool & crisp and with a tailwind for the last 100k (fingers crossed). 

So, was Comrie as exciting as you thought it would be?  ;)

« Reply #44 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:40:52 pm »
           A brilliant day out. Stopped at Perth for a second breakfast and sunblock to protect us from the ferocious scottish sun. It felt as if we were motor paced all the way round due to the sterling efforts of Mrs & mr Ernst working in tandem. Must take a comb the next time for the obligatory snaps at the info controls. My compadres did the route checking and I provided the glamour (well someone has to). Similar or better weather has been ordered for November and if this is fullfilled a wonderful ride is guaranteed.

« Reply #45 on: 11 October, 2009, 09:08:33 pm »
All we need is Chris and it'll be like riding behind a big sheltering wall.

and moving about as quickly  ;D

Oy. I've lost weight!   :-[

Judging by today's effort I reckon 200km is too far for me these days. I think I'll have to get some riding in before this event.
Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #46 on: 12 October, 2009, 09:34:24 am »

Yes it was Eck and thatnks for the hint to use the Strowan Road to stay off the A85, a new one on us all but most enjoyable.   The bit up round harrietfield was lumpier than I'd hoped but overall a grand day out in the sunshine, even if I wasnt firing on all cylinders (I was managing to hang in for the spells at 20mph, but when it got cranked up to 23 mph it was killing me).

Final distance was 205 km by my reckoning - now to write up the routesheet for November.       

G

« Reply #47 on: 12 October, 2009, 01:27:17 pm »

Yes it was Eck and thatnks for the hint to use the Strowan Road to stay off the A85, a new one on us all but most enjoyable.   The bit up round harrietfield was lumpier than I'd hoped but overall a grand day out in the sunshine, even if I wasnt firing on all cylinders (I was managing to hang in for the spells at 20mph, but when it got cranked up to 23 mph it was killing me).

Final distance was 205 km by my reckoning - now to write up the routesheet for November.       

G

What G said, might I add it puts Comrie in a whole new light that Strowan Rd, in-fact I couldn't believe it was Comrie eccept for the big sign as you go in :o

We were very luck with the weather, a SW wind to get us up to Perth, then turning to NW to bring us back from Comrie 8)

Thanks for the company, lets hope get more of it in November :thumbsup:

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #48 on: 12 October, 2009, 01:33:51 pm »
 :thumbsup: Glad you all liked the wee back road I suggested. It is nice, isn't it?
On the two or three occasions I've been to Comrie in the past few years, I've used it rather than the main road.  :-X  ;)

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #49 on: 23 October, 2009, 04:59:44 pm »
Folks - given the postal strike, plan b = e-mail a scanned entry form and make your payment online (e-mail/PM me if you're interested).

I'm going to e-mail route sheets and instructions around a week before the event anyway, so worry not.  If the strike is still on by then, I'll ditch the paper option entirely and you can retrieve your extra SAE at the finish. 

I really must investigate paypal.