Author Topic: audaxing without a cheque book?  (Read 14286 times)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: audaxing without a cheque book?
« Reply #50 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:12:38 am »
Yes, but what do you do with hundreds of spare stamps if 10 people enter online and 30 people enter by post (all paying by stamps)?

Is that actually likely though?  My impression (admittedly from a rather small sample size!) is that events which offer online entry are getting a substantially higher ratio than that already.

Getting rid of cheques completely will cause chaos for plumbers, roofers, tree surgeons and the like.

I imagine there'll be something else in place in eight years time.  Peer-to-peer transactions mediated by mobile phones seems at least somewhat plausible.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #51 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:12:59 am »
If the powers that be want to get rid of cheques and replace them with an electronic alternative then they have to get something that works just as well

There are two reasons why the banks want to get rid of cheques
They currently have to run an expensive cheque clearing operation.  
There are also problems with cheques not being secure.  All you have to do is steal the cheque book and scrawl on it.

Problem #1..Banks solution....people use electronic banking and bear the cost of it themselves
Problem #2..Banks solution....the banks are keen on lots of passwords

I don't see that current electronic banking is very good.  A typical home banking setup is via the web and using Microsoft Windows.  More than one organisation has suggested that the only way to really mitigate the risks of home banking is to boot a PC clean from a CD running Linux, do the banking and then shutdown
The issue of key generators to replace (or supplement) passwords is a step in the right direction.  Passwords are either difficult to remember or easily stolen

Maybe a replacement to cheques could be the implementation of a system of code numbers instead
An electronic device, perhaps as simple as a calculator takes the account number of the target, the amount and perhaps a pin.  It then generates a special magic number which is valid for a month/week/time period.  The number is given to the target/receiptient who then "applies" it to their bank account, either via a "hole in the wall" or a bank counter or a electronic banking service.
Perhaps the source of the money also has to apply the number in the same way.  

Anyway, current e banking cannot replace cheques

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #52 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:17:56 am »
Maybe a replacement to cheques could be the implementation of a system of code numbers instead
An electronic device, perhaps as simple as a calculator takes the account number of the target, the amount and perhaps a pin.  It then generates a special magic number which is valid for a month/week/time period.  The number is given to the target/receiptient who then "applies" it to their bank account, either via a "hole in the wall" or a bank counter or a electronic banking service.

Replace the calculator with... another small, common, electronic device that has numbered buttons on the front, then add in a wireless protocol to avoid having to manually copy down the numbers, and I think you're getting quite close.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:22:07 am »
Apparently mobile phone banking is expanding rapidly in rural areas of "the third world", where the nearest bank branch can be very remote.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #54 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:24:08 am »
Whatever is chosen, it has to be simple, easily accessible and a widely used form of transaction.  Some of the suggestions on this thread appear to be overly complex. Bespoke systems for the convenience of audax organisers will simply not work.  Anything too complicated and people will vote with their feet (organisers and/or riders).
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #55 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:48:34 pm »
I have had good results using pound coins sellotaped to a piece of cardboard. A sort of primitive cheque.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:49:32 pm »
Not likely to go far in the post, though, which is one of the major uses of cheques.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #57 on: 16 December, 2009, 01:10:14 pm »
If there is a demand for a cheque like service, then this will exist, regardless of what the commercial banks do.  This is one of the benefits of living in a free economy.

And if the commercial sector doesn't provide the service, then the government will (if it is deemed useful for society).  This is one of the benefits of living in a state.

The trade off is likely to be that people will have to meet the cost up front rather than it being hidden in bank charges, interest rates etc.  Like traveller cheques but on a domestic scale.

Indeed, postal orders of some type will probably do the trick.  Although the charges for those are currently disproportionate for the payments AUK organisers typically require.

I guess what I'm saying is that it will sort itself out.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #58 on: 16 December, 2009, 01:17:56 pm »
couple of points:

how many people would be willing to use cheques for non-audax purposes, e.g. where they currently use direct debit, to pay bills, make purchases, etc, where possible, in order to boost the number of cheques that are used? If the decline in their use is reversed, they are less likely to be phased out as there is evidence people like them.

Also, I was under the impression that whereever possible we should limit the number of things that can ONLY be done via the internet.
Apparently some tax return that my dad does can only be done online, I was quite surprised at this. Surely it's actually currently possible to enter audaxes without having the internet, by using arrivee magazine, but if you have to use paypal then this would not be possible.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #59 on: 16 December, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »
Pay pal is a half implemented giro scheme.  A full implementation available in some countries allows instructions by paper, phone and bank machine.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #60 on: 16 December, 2009, 01:27:38 pm »
Can you still buy Postal Orders ?
Aero but not dynamic

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #61 on: 16 December, 2009, 01:43:14 pm »
Can you still buy Postal Orders ?

Yes.  They serve a useful function as well, given not everyone has a bank account that has a cheque facility.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #62 on: 16 December, 2009, 03:11:08 pm »
Sounds like this will be going ahead:

BBC News - Cheques to be phased out in 2018

DanialW

« Reply #63 on: 16 December, 2009, 03:17:07 pm »
The problem is that the organiser may not do email, so you've got to include an SAE anyway.

They'll all do email before long.

« Reply #64 on: 16 December, 2009, 03:35:12 pm »
(organiser)@sillywetcyclists.co.uk?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #65 on: 16 December, 2009, 04:25:45 pm »
Everyone turns up with a £20 note and the organiser doesn't have enough change.

Change?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #66 on: 16 December, 2009, 05:18:04 pm »
Everyone turns up with a £20 note and the organiser doesn't have enough change.

Change?

Well, yes, that's one way to make sure the rider doesn't do that again. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

crwydryn

« Reply #67 on: 16 December, 2009, 06:35:08 pm »
The problem is that the organiser may not do email, so you've got to include an SAE anyway.

They'll all do email before long.

Does this mean those that dont are getting the boot?

Did you read the bit in the Arrivee from Egdir Nhoj.

This will be the end of Audaxes in Carmarthen.

inc

« Reply #68 on: 16 December, 2009, 07:03:17 pm »
Would it be feasible for a single central AUK electronic account available for every event and linked from the calendar. Organisers would not need to provide any monetary transaction facilities. I realise this probably raises more questions but cheques and snail mail are a pita. Having just looked through my last two cheque book stubs they are all for my builders merchant, ( building a house) two Audax and my FAC renewal. I mostly use cash or debit card.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #69 on: 16 December, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »
I'd imagine using a central account raises all sorts of tax implications.

yeah like dasmoth says, micro payments by mobile phone must be the way forward. Imagine is sending £5 was as easy* as sending an SMS. Can't see cheques disappearing until something like that is common place.

* - ok some people don't find sending SMS easy. but then, some people don't find writing cheques easy

DanialW

« Reply #70 on: 16 December, 2009, 09:08:28 pm »
Does this mean those that dont are getting the boot?

Did you read the bit in the Arrivee from Egdir Nhoj.

This will be the end of Audaxes in Carmarthen.

I'm afraid organisers will need to supply an email address, and one that they use to boot.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #71 on: 16 December, 2009, 10:41:55 pm »
I'd imagine using a central account raises all sorts of tax implications.

And someone would want paying, to look after it all.

I'm not saying it's not a way forward, in fact I think it is - but at present AUK are at pains to distance themselves from the actual organisation of individual events - this would be like a central booking agency and the practicalities would have both pros and cons for all concerned. 
For example Organisers often need monies up front which at present they get because entries are payed to them direct.

Martin

« Reply #72 on: 16 December, 2009, 10:44:38 pm »
I have had good results using pound coins sellotaped to a piece of cardboard. A sort of primitive cheque.

remember though that doiing this without a "large letter" 2nd class stamp (which are only available over the counter and not via those new whizz bang self serve Post Office machines; you know the ones that are also often called "out of order") is likely to land the organiser a large bill to retrieve from the belligerent sorting office as it won't fit through the 5mm gauge.

20 years ago a 1st class stamp would get a simple letter anywhere in the EU; now you have to take the bloody thing in to a PO  >:(

anyway PO rant over; back to the OP,

does anybody here still keep and collect brevet cards? mine go to recycling the minute the result goes online.

« Reply #73 on: 16 December, 2009, 10:47:57 pm »

does anybody here still keep and collect brevet cards?
I have all but one of mine. I'll need them to work out which of my rides were BRMs when I claim my ACP Brevet 5000. I threw my first one away because I didn't enjoy the ride, people were not very friendly and I decided not to do any more.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #74 on: 16 December, 2009, 10:52:40 pm »
remember though that doiing this without a "large letter" stamp ... is likely to land the organiser a large bill to retrieve

Not if the Org has any sense - it will just stay unclaimed, and the entry won't happen.

does anybody here still keep and collect brevet cards? mine go to recycling the minute the result goes online.

Ah well it would be interesting to know how people feel about this [new topic].  Lots of 'paperless' initiatives in the air at present, so how important is the brevet card? I know some people have shoe-boxes-full.  Still seems significant to me, but I dunno, there may be a whiff of dinosaur here ...