Poll

Do you (a) ride Audaxes & (b) have a Physics A level or equivalent?

Yes to both
100 (61%)
(a) but not (b)
36 (22%)
(b) but not (a)
16 (9.8%)
Neither
12 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Audaxers with Physics A level  (Read 24250 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Audaxers with Physics A level
« Reply #50 on: 12 December, 2009, 02:43:16 am »
Not only did I not pass Physics at A level, I didn't take it (or any other science) at O level, my sciences being Chemistry & Biology.

I did, however, pass the National Cycling Proficiency when I was about 9 or 10 and supplemented my meager teacher's salary in the early 1980s by instructing and examining the National Cycling Proficiency in my school holidays. I still have two badges to that effect on one of my Carradice saddlebags.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #51 on: 12 December, 2009, 08:06:28 am »
Having opted for the 'soft' sciences I took CSE General Science*. One exam question asked us to explain how an anaerobic barometer worked. I drew a nice exploded diagram showing all moving parts with explanation how they worked. Mrs Manotea drew a picture of the 'banjo' barometer in her front porch at home explaining that when the weather changed the arrow moved to point to the relevant symbol. We both passed with a grade 1...

*I took GCE O Level Physics and Chemistry in the Lower Sixth because I needed them to support an RN Office Cadet application. As is the way of things, by the time I had them my interests had changed, and I didn't have good enough eyesight to stand a watch anyway. Ho hum.

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #52 on: 12 December, 2009, 08:28:28 am »
I got 25m breaststroke does that count

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #53 on: 12 December, 2009, 08:43:37 am »

Yes to Physics, Chemistry and biology 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #54 on: 12 December, 2009, 08:53:02 am »
I got 25m breaststroke does that count

25 months seems a bit harsh for sexual harassment.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #55 on: 12 December, 2009, 08:58:20 am »
can do better than that, got a degree in physics  :thumbsup: only a third though

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #56 on: 12 December, 2009, 08:59:18 am »
I'm not an audaxer (yet, according to the Ecosse contingent) and I have A levels in English Lit, Spanish, Social Biology (fnaar) and General Studies. Plus a wide range of Girl Guides badges including hostess, flower arranging and entertainer.  O:-) I have an O level in Physics though.

A few years ago I was taking a scuba course and we had to do an exam and one of the questions was something about volume and pressure and gas and I was a bit irate because the textbook said "the volume of a gas is proportional to the pressure" and I said no, that's wrong, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to the pressure and nobody would believe I was right and the book was wrong, and I failed the exam by that one mark.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

John Henry

« Reply #57 on: 12 December, 2009, 09:32:55 am »
Maths (Grade B), physics (Grade A), chemistry (Grade A), Russian (Grade A), 1992.

Audaxes for a few years in the late 90s/early 2000s. Currently dormant, but I've done some, so am counting myself as an Audaxer.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #58 on: 12 December, 2009, 10:00:50 am »
Yes to physics and yes, but not often, to Audaxing.

(Overseas readers - more info)

Back in my day (77-79) we did three A levels with exams at the end of the course.

These days pupils start with 4 or maybe 5 subjects in the Lower Sixth form (year 12), studied to what is called AS level. At the end of the Lower Sixth they get examined in what they've learnt so far. I think there's exams part way through the year as well.

Then in the Upper Sixth (year 13) they generally drop one or more subjects and study the remainder to A2 level, again examined at the end of year.

The aggregate of these results is used to judge entry to University, along with other factors.

(My son is in the Lower Sixth at the minute.  He's doing Physics (amongst others) but doesn't Audax (yet).) 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #59 on: 12 December, 2009, 10:06:28 am »

Baccalaureat C?

Yes!

:D

I still remember missing the "Bien" by 0.04 point as a result of my apathy when comes philosophy!

Math and physics were easy points to gain! None of this business of "soft" matters were you can't get 100% because "nothing is absolute so it would be unfair to those coming with a better answer"
Chief cat entertainer.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #60 on: 12 December, 2009, 10:39:57 am »
We had a compulsory course in philosophy called Theory of Knowledge.
At uni, I had to do a course in Logic and Metaphysics as part of final year Psychology. But please don't ask me how I know that.  ???  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #61 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:06:36 am »
Ye sto bothe, but faild english probs cause of my speeling is carp.?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #62 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:16:58 am »
PhD in mathematical physics, with a thesis in higher derivative terms and their influence on N=2 supersymmetric systems  O:-)

border-rider

« Reply #63 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:45:35 am »
PhD in mathematical physics, with a thesis in higher derivative terms and their influence on N=2 supersymmetric systems  O:-)

Actually, I strongly suspect that audax has a disproportionate number of Physics PhDs...

;)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #64 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:53:44 am »
PhD in mathematical physics, with a thesis in higher derivative terms and their influence on N=2 supersymmetric systems  O:-)

Actually, I strongly suspect that audax has a disproportionate number of Physics PhDs...

;)

I may be wrong but I'm guessing N=2 Supersymmetric Systems is nothing to do with double fixed hubs...

« Reply #65 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:55:03 am »
I had a really surreal conversation with a Mathematician on the Spurn Head 400 one year. The surreal thing was the chaps name, a really really nice bloke called Rod Whitworth. I was dying to start a thread about him when I got back. Also on that ride was Cllr M Bolt. I knew I was screwed.

border-rider

« Reply #66 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:58:11 am »
I may be wrong but I'm guessing N=2 Supersymmetric Systems is nothing to do with double fixed hubs...

Surely it's about having only two bikes, but them being absolutely  identical.  I'm sure PhDs must be getting easier ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #67 on: 12 December, 2009, 12:00:21 pm »
I had a really surreal conversation with a Mathematician on the Spurn Head 400 one year. The surreal thing was the chaps name, a really really nice bloke called Rod Whitworth. I was dying to start a thread about him when I got back. Also on that ride was Cllr M Bolt. I knew I was screwed.
Did he pitch up near the M18?

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #68 on: 12 December, 2009, 12:04:12 pm »
It must have been hard to wrench yourself away from that conversation, or where you spending most of your time chasing?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #69 on: 12 December, 2009, 12:12:16 pm »
So who has a Cycling Proficiency badge & cert ?

EDIT:I have, still got the certificate somewhere, no idea where the badge is though, probably at my ancestral home

I am the only person I know who failed the CP test. I failed aged 9 and had to sit the following year. I can still feel the embarisment of it.   
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #70 on: 12 December, 2009, 12:12:55 pm »

Surely it's about having only two bikes, but them being absolutely  identical.  I'm sure PhDs must be getting easier ;)

It explains the accretion of mass, which relates to the pie symmetry.  Or something.  TBH I remember naff all about my thesis other than a couple of buzz words. PhD= 1 year improving pub skills, 1 year playing MUDs/MMORPGs, 1 year frantically writing a thesis.

« Reply #71 on: 12 December, 2009, 01:04:36 pm »
CSE woodwork grade 5.

« Reply #72 on: 12 December, 2009, 01:13:53 pm »
GCE O-level physics, grade B, 6th form, 1979.

Really Ancien

« Reply #73 on: 12 December, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »
We may soon  in a position to crown the 'King of the Anoraks' I envisage a ceremonial Goretex gown, with titanium fittings and a Parka-style fur trim made from real carbon fibre.

Damon.

« Reply #74 on: 12 December, 2009, 01:43:12 pm »
  I'm not sure what is the point of this topic but I was and still am hopeless at maths and physics. Must be why I went bust. I only got three highers: French;Spanish;History;English;Economics and Geography. My partner does come from a world famous scientific and mathematical family.Does that count?