Author Topic: First Audax  (Read 2511 times)

kevinp

First Audax
« on: 12 December, 2009, 01:33:40 pm »
I thought I would make my first post even though I have been lurking for a long time. I have just booked my first audax after joining earlier this week. I have decided to do the 'windrush winter warm up' at Ashton Keynes, but in the mean time I have been looking at the mesh rides, I have ordered a card for one I have planned which runs from Malmesbury-Faringdon-Whitney-Cricklade. but I am hoping it will be ok to start the ride from Tetbury where I live.

This is the route I was planing www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27977

I take it with the mesh cards I just wait until Danial gets in touch about where my ride goes and then he will send me a card ?
The other question I would like to ask is about times, I have looked but can not or do not understand the answers, is the maximum time allowed  ..... total distance / minimum speed  ?

border-rider

Re: First Audax
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »

I take it with the mesh cards I just wait until Danial gets in touch about where my ride goes and then he will send me a card ?

You'd normally fill in an entry form and send it with a list of controls & distances with your request for a card.

The other question I would like to ask is about times, I have looked but can not or do not understand the answers, is the maximum time allowed  ..... total distance / minimum speed  ?

Yes.  The distance though is the shortest possible between controls as verified by Autoroute or somesuch. This may well be shorter than what you actually ride.

Have you seen this thread ?

The Mesh

kevinp

« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2009, 02:01:38 pm »
Quote from: kevinp on Today at 01:33:40 pm

You'd normally fill in an entry form and send it with a list of controls & distances with your request for a card.

I did think that but could find nowhere on the site to fill this in, I will have to email him later about this.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2009, 02:49:04 pm »
Yes, the process of getting a card and entering the ride are two different things, I think (proviso: I've never done a Mesh ride)

« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2009, 06:40:34 pm »
Yes, the process of getting a card and entering the ride are two different things, I think (proviso: I've never done a Mesh ride)

As suggested above, the process is a little different for DIY/mesh permanent rides than when entering other permanents. You can order DIY/mesh cards online in advance  (as I guess you already have) and then nearer the ride date you enter the ride by filling out the 'Permanent Entry' form and either posting or scanning/emailing this to (in this case) Danial. You also need to attach a list of your chosen controls with the distances between them. These will be checked by the organiser and you will be informed if there is anything amiss. Make sure that you specify the date of your ride as Danial is quite reasonably especially strict on this.

It is OK to add on one or more non-Mesh legs to the first (or after the last) Mesh control. You would treat these legs as if they were DIY rides. The distance for each DIY leg is the minimum road distance between the control points using a tool such as Microsoft AutoRoute or 'www.viamichelin.com' (by bike). You then add on the Mesh distance for each of the Mesh legs to make up your chosen ride distance.

Speeds are straightforward. You must average a minimum of 14.3kmh (including your stops) from the time on your first control receipt/stamp to the one on your last. Similarly you must not average more than 30kmh. In other words, if your ride is agreed as 200km, you must complete it in less than 14 hours but more than 6 hours 40 minutes.

kevinp

« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2009, 09:08:21 pm »
Thanks for the info Mikek, I have emailed Danial with my route and form here's hoping I did it correctly :)

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2009, 10:47:51 pm »
Danial's on here so I suspect he may contribute to this thread :)

anyway - welcome kevin p, to YACF and to Audax.  The Windrush Winter Warmup is a nice ride.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #7 on: 13 December, 2009, 10:35:49 am »
but I am hoping it will be ok to start the ride from Tetbury where I live.

I would like to ask is about times, I have looked but can not or do not understand the answers, is the maximum time allowed  ..... total distance / minimum speed  ?

When you are ready to 'step up' to 200s, you might (will) find Tetbury a convenient S/F Control for a few of my routes.  Thames & Avon 200, Cheltenham Flyer 200, Glos & Somerset 200.  I also have a 100, Flyer Taster through Cirencester. These routes are fully researched for distance and detailed Routesheet and have good small town Controls for cafes and banks.

More general details on the Perms pages in the Audax UK lists.  I can send routesheet be return email.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 13 December, 2009, 10:42:25 am »
I'd suggest the Cheltenham Flyer too, it was the first 200km I did (this year) and although slow, I got round in the time.The start is probably the same distance from you as I am.

J
It is simpler than it looks.

kevinp

« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2009, 05:32:47 pm »
Hi Steve, I would definitely be interested in seeing the route plans for the cheltenham flyer and the taster flyer, I didn't know if it was possible to see the routes before entering.
 I did find a few that might be interesting later next year at Ian's site http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/aukperm and also the ones on Danial site though.