Linked Events

• NOVECOLLI 40th Sportive: 23 May, 2010

Author Topic: NOVECOLLI 23 May 2010 - 40th edition Sportive  (Read 1998 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
NOVECOLLI 23 May 2010 - 40th edition Sportive
« on: 14 December, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »
Continuing my recent interest in all things italian, I have heard good things about this ride  >>> N O V E C O L L I . I T  <<<  Anyone else done it before? 9 'Hills' 3840m climbing, 200k distance. av gradient 4.3%, max 18%. 50 eur entry fee. The Giro Etape is on May 21st, I believe.

The date coincides with our anniversary, so am taking the wife for a relaxing week on the Adriatic, staying in Cesenatico. Hotel: Albergo Cesenatico hotel per famiglie, Hotel Cesenatico tre stelle costa romagnola, hotel con piscina - Hotel fur familien Urlaub Cesenatico Adria Kuste, Hotel drei sterne mit swimmingpools   Apart from the event, i will probably go out for a few morning rides.

Cheap Ryanair flights from stansted to Rimini, and free transfers to the hotel.

Am entered for the Mille Miglia in August, so a good chance to recce a small part of the route and get used to cycling in Italy.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Re: NOVECOLLI 23 May 2010 - 40th edition Sportive
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »
That really sounds like a super Sportif.  I have done most of the Classics-Marathon dles Dolomites, Marmotte (Galibier)(2), Hubert Arbes (Tourmalet), but will be running my (new Classic?) Gospel Pass 200 (AAA?) that Sunday.  Need a sportif France/Italy 2 weeks later as part of my post-event recovery.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Pete Mas

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:52:40 am »
Good luck with the new Gospel pass 200k.
Re the Novecolli I read the small print last night. the 50Eur entrance fee includes a pasta party, event jersey, 10 food and drink controls, etc, so not bad value  :)

R.L.Stevenson

meddy

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2009, 12:33:51 pm »
Ive ridden it 8 times now and it is a great area for cycling. My only complaint is it has become a victim of its own success. When I first entered the field was around 5000 all at a relatively good level. This year when I rode there were over 11000 starters and some frightening bike handling on display. I would recommend hotel beau soleil at Zadina just outside the main town and if you ask them they will sort your entry into the event as well.

Pete Mas

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2009, 02:00:42 pm »
It will be my first experience of one of these really huge sportif rides, so I am expecting to have to be cautious avoiding the antics of some of the other 10,000 riders  ::-)

We are actually staying at the Hotel Beasoleil, that you suggest - my link that I gavein my first message is referenced to their website, but for some reason doesnt show the name?...

The Giro actually finishes in Cesenatico on friday May 21st, so a good chance to do some spectating as well.

I don't have a UCI licence. Is it best to fax over the required Doctors certificate in advance (as the rules suggest) or just show it when registering?The rules refer to an agonistic medical cetificate (for amateurs) or a non-agostic medical cert for leisure cyclists! Don't know what thats all about...?

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2009, 09:33:46 am »
It will be my first experience of one of these really huge sportif rides, so I am expecting to have to be cautious avoiding the antics of some of the other 10,000 riders  ::-)

I don't have a UCI licence. Is it best to fax over the required Doctors certificate in advance (as the rules suggest) or just show it when registering?The rules refer to an agonistic medical cetificate (for amateurs) or a non-agostic medical cert for leisure cyclists! Don't know what thats all about...?

1) Don't expect to be cautious - you can't be! Just sharpen your elbows. I loved the first 20kms or so - flat out and loads of pushing and shoving.
Then it went uphill, and all the fun stopped.
The difference between Italian Sportives and UK ones is that in Italy 90%+ of the riders know how to ride a bike correctly.

2) As has been done before on this forum I think. The continentals assume that a racing licence means that a full medical has been had - everywhere but UK this is correct.
In my experience, a private medical is likely to cost at least as much as a British Cycling licence, and the licence/BC membership gives you a year's insurance as well.

meddy

« Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:42:37 pm »
The start is one of the most exciting bits. Blasting along at 35 mph with little effort is as unusual experience for me.  ;D

As I said above Dante at the hotel always sorted my entry, so I never had to bother with a medical etc.

If you need a few good loops to ride other than the event itself let me know.

Pete Mas

« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2009, 04:12:23 pm »
Sounds like i should have let Dante at the hotel do my entry...entering online will cost me more! However, looking at the British Cycling website, I think its worth buying a membership anyhow, for the benefits include good personal  accident cycling insurance, cheaper bike insurance, etc etc.Don't intend to 'race'in Britain, however...

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »
Think I have worked it all out! Agonistic means competitive. I am not aiming for over 25kph so will enter as a leisure cyclist. I won't bother with a medical so need UCI membership i.e. join British Cycling. No problem.... :)

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2009, 12:46:08 pm »
Whoops, just looked again..If I enter as a leisure cyclist I can only do the 130km route, so I need to enter as an amateur and get a BC licence, or doctors medical cert, as indicated above, to do the 200k. Don't you just love small print... ::-)

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »
Whoops, just looked again..If I enter as a leisure cyclist I can only do the 130km route, so I need to enter as an amateur and get a BC licence, or doctors medical cert, as indicated above, to do the 200k. Don't you just love small print... ::-)

The 130km was plenty hard enough for me (and most of the people I went with). The speed is the thing that marks it out as hard, and the climbs of course.

No offence - I don't know if you may be mega-fit and experienced, and 200km at race speed may be ok for you. However, as a guide Rumsas won the 200km in one of the years I rode, and Jamie Burrow is up there as well! Good continental pros get blown off the break!

« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2009, 07:51:04 pm »
Pete - I found these notes I did for a group of riders I was looking after.

My perceptions only, others may have comments and observations as well, but hopefully may be of some help.

It is a great event, as near as you can get to riding a major race without having to get an Elite licence!

•   I rode the 131 km version; I haven’t ridden the course of the longer version

•   Dossards – can be collected in advance from the HQ – I think from a couple of days in advance

•   Start – You are put in a “pen” according to your number. Pens are released in order; the “big hitters” going first

•   Gearing – I used 34x28 bottom, but some fitter colleagues were OK on 39x26

•   Feeds – official and informal ones at regular intervals. There was no need to visit, and I didn’t. I took 3 bidons (1 in a pocket and thrown to an eager child once used) , energy bars and gels, and pate de fruit (you can buy these at the start village the day before) I did fill up with water at a fountain by the road, and carried some effervescent tablets to make up a drink. Not stopping saved me about 40 minutes going by the times of other riders with me at the start.

•   Preparation – I rode most of the climbs in the week before just to get a feel for them, but I guess this may not be a possibility for you

Observations of the parcourse

KM   Description   Observations
0-25   Flat terrain. Peloton flat out gutter to gutter.    Fast and rather nervous riding. Find a good string and stay on it. Be prepared to use elbows!
(Polenta)   First climb. Peloton bunches before it, and on the climb some are trying to go ahead, others are coming back. Frequent stops due to people falling or stalling.   Use a small gear in case of stalling behind people. The centre of the road seems to flow better.
37-43   Safe descent   
43-47   Flatish   
47-65   Ascent (Pieve di Rivoschia)   Steady start, but second half steeper. For me a sit down and pedal up sort of climb
65-70   Descent – mostly OK    Beware of crashed riders around corners
73-76   Climb (Ciola)   Steeper than previous climb, but another one that for me is a “sit it out” sort of ascent.
76-86   Descent – mostly OK, to Mercato Saraceno. In town sharp left over bridge to start:   
86-92   Climb of Barbotta.   Starts as a steady climb, but gets progressively steeper. Narrow road, so can get congested.
Towards the top gets steep – some riders stalling and getting off.
Just before the top there is a steep right hand corner. Keep to the left – inside is mega-steep!
Timing pad at top.
92-finish      A little rolling for a few km’s, after which fast descent onto plain.

As soon as you start descending (after the bifurcation for the longer event) you can give it full gas.

If you can get in a good fast group this should take you to the finish.

Just before the end you swing over an overpass, absolute full gas from there.

Pete Mas

« Reply #12 on: 21 December, 2009, 02:00:12 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, Paul. I have 34 x 28 low gear, and hope to increase my riding speed during the winter/Spring. Will also enter some some hilly audax rides, including 2 x 400k rides before May 23, so will aim to complete the 200k ride option all being well, even if I'm a slow finisher.

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #13 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:38:12 pm »
A top ride! Did it a couple of years ago. On the start line at 5.15am :( for a 6am start. Italians in sunglasses and white shoes and matching club kit.Furious start until the first hill then everyone seems to STOP! so watch out for that and push thro' (often on the left). I did the smaller ride (and avoided the torrential rain) but the final 5km was a hoot as a gruppo formed and you head for the finish,barriered off,cheering spectators,camera,big screen etc. I had great fun blasting off the front and then getting chased down at the line. Anyway highly recommended and the whole Emilia-Romagna area is a joy to cycle in :thumbsup:

Pete Mas

« Reply #14 on: 22 December, 2009, 01:41:27 pm »
Will have to start polishing my bike, sunglasses and shoes soon...maybe even cultivate a Marco Pantani beard/ shaven head for the start line, or maybe not :hand:...A ride to anticipate, obviously.

R.L.Stevenson

meddy

« Reply #15 on: 22 December, 2009, 03:14:17 pm »
If I was you I would go for the longer route as the shorter route misses out the longest climb with the nicest scenery. The pace can be fast, but I think the key is you can go as fast or as slow as you like as you have up to 12 hours to complete the long one if you need it. My best time was a touch over 7 hours, but thats well behind the fastest. You will find yourself in groups a lot of the time so maintaining a high average isnt as difficult as it would seem. The short ride is equally fun but in my opinion going all that way for 4 hours or a little less of riding doesnt seem to be worth it.

Pete Mas

« Reply #16 on: 22 December, 2009, 04:01:53 pm »
Meddy, that's exactly my thinking as well (as per my earlier reply)...I need to do the longer ride, after all I'll be back in August to attempt over 1600km in one ride in the same country and area for the MM ride !

R.L.Stevenson