Author Topic: Cutlery lust  (Read 115668 times)

Re: Cutlery lust
« Reply #425 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:41:49 am »
I don't currently have a beard, but the last time I had one someone took a picture of me climbing up a yurt roof to pull up the canvas. Was wearing hand-made leather sandals too.

I know, there is no hope for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #426 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:46:11 am »
The guru for this is Robin Wood

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And any discussion of his talent would be incomplete without a link to that of his daughter who makes the most fantastic spoons (her FB page is here)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #427 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:50:19 am »
All together now.............. Kumbaya

« Reply #428 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »
I think the last time I watched Charlotte carve a spoon she used some micromesh stuff to finish it off & get a smooth surface.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #429 on: 12 January, 2018, 10:28:09 pm »
Why don't you make one yourself, it's very easy, all you need is a yurt, a beard, a knife, a crook knife and some sandals.

Then you'll never have to worry about a bit of raised grain ever again.

I wholeheartedly approve of this as a suitable remedial course of action.

his daughter who makes the most fantastic spoons

Dammit. She's running a course in Birmingham in April.

400 grit wet & dry and the first coat of oil have been applied. (Who was it worried that other forumites were having wildly more exciting Friday nights than them?)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #430 on: 17 January, 2018, 08:56:18 pm »
Here you go nikki, enjoy.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #431 on: 18 January, 2018, 11:38:05 pm »
Beeswax is good and it won't do your digestive system any harm - it is "food grade", after all.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #432 on: 24 January, 2018, 05:43:29 pm »
Here you go nikki, enjoy.

Thanks! I was a bit miffed at the power tools, but I suppose when you've waited 20 years for the bump to grow...

Spoon update: looking good!

How does one tell when the linseed has cured?

« Reply #433 on: 24 January, 2018, 06:16:11 pm »
If you applied the oil  very thinly, when it's dry.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #434 on: 24 January, 2018, 06:56:24 pm »
I thought you might appreciate the inlay and the red powder made from birch bark. After making a few by hand, you might appreciate the odd power tool for curly grain.

You'll see what I mean when you get going.

Spoon looks nice.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #435 on: 24 January, 2018, 09:58:10 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #436 on: 25 January, 2018, 08:52:20 am »
If you applied the oil  very thinly, when it's dry.

Cool - will have to pluck up the courage to use it soon then!

I thought you might appreciate the inlay and the red powder made from birch bark.

Yeah, that was nice - would have liked to have seen a bit more of that.

After making a few by hand, you might appreciate the odd power tool for curly grain.

Heh, yes! That's why I opted for sandpaper in the end rather than attempting anything with a blade!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #437 on: 25 January, 2018, 09:10:13 am »
Ray Mears "Sweden" Season 2 Episode 4 shows more of the Sami reindeer antler carving and tells how to get the red powder from the underbars of Birch. I believe its Downy Birch Betula pubescens

If you want some of the inner bark, I have a coppice full of the stuff which I cut for firewood and other things.

Don't forget to put straw in yer boots.       

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-28X2ngDgE4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfiCZBw6ViE

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #438 on: 05 February, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
I had the crook knife out.

Rubbish to eat with, but fun to look at.

« Reply #439 on: 24 February, 2018, 06:12:43 pm »
That is indeed rather pleasing on the eye :)

Chris N

« Reply #440 on: 29 June, 2018, 12:57:06 pm »
New proposals from the Home Office to further restrict the availability of knives are likely to impact more than just people stabbing each other.

The Offensive Weapons Bill (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/offensive-weapons-bill-2018-overarching-documents) covers a lot of ground, but the two items most likely to affect the general public are:

• stopping knives being sent to residential addresses after they are bought online
  • updating the definition of a flick knife to reflect changing weapon designs

The first means you'll have to go to a PO or other parcel collection point and prove your age to collect the knife.  The second may reclassify knives that are currently legal to own and carry with good reason as illegal, and put them in the same bracket as automatic/flick knives.  Multitools such as the Leatherman Wave and other one-hand-opening knives may be affected and would become illegal to possess - and would have to be surrendered to the Police.  Maybe you'll get compensation, maybe not...

There's a petition here to get the government to reconsider the shipping of knives: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/222776.  Please sign.

« Reply #441 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:19:23 pm »

:(

(and I was expecting to see beautiful illustrations of excellent craftsmanship!)

« Reply #442 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:53:05 pm »
Signed.
They'll take my Leatherman Wave from my cold, dead.....

I was on the Ginger Line the other day, doing the Metro crossword when I happened across an article which took my fancy.
I reached into my bag, took out my retractable-bladed scalpel ( I have one in every bag) and cut a neat rectangle around the article.
By the time I'd folded the article into a square, I was aware that the eyes of everyone around me were upon me......  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #443 on: 29 June, 2018, 09:12:27 pm »
To be fair, that's because normal people would have taken a photo of it with their phone.  :P

« Reply #444 on: 29 June, 2018, 09:57:55 pm »
To be fair, that's because normal people would have taken a photo of it with their phone.  :P

I like your reference to 'normal people' and am happy to not be associated with such  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #445 on: 01 July, 2018, 01:52:14 pm »
The ban on residential delivery seems unenforceable. Obviously reputable sellers will abide by it but unless every single parcel gets scanned/inspected there's no way of knowing what's there. I suppose one way might be to make delivery agents responsible if illegal items are delivered, but a) they will probably deal with this by "terms and conditions" b) we come back to the problem of how anyone will know what's in the parcel.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris N

« Reply #446 on: 02 July, 2018, 08:28:40 am »
Agreed.  It'll be cumbersome at best, and more than likely ineffective.  If you look at the detail of the bill, it's all badly worded and open to misinterpretation.  Just enforce the bloody laws we already have with an appropriate number of police officers.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #447 on: 30 September, 2018, 05:32:01 pm »
Essex Police Custody Suite spork specially designed so you can't hurt yourself or use it as a weapon...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #448 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:09:40 pm »
Fess up, OD, what have the boys and girls from ACME been up to now?  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #449 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:31:57 pm »
Fess up, OD, what have the boys and girls from ACME been up to now?  ;D

Nothing  ;D. I’m an Appropriate Adult volunteer and spent a fair of yesterday in Colchester Custody Suite where I spotted the spork. Given where I was I resisted the temptation to pinch one.