Author Topic: more insane management speak phrases  (Read 145218 times)

Re: more insane management speak phrases
« Reply #525 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:22:50 am »
Minimum Viable Product isn't necessarily​ 'the shittiest available thing that will do' though, is it? Sometimes it's 'the most basic feature set that will do the job, and so can be made actually reliable, as opposed to the buggy feature-bloated monsters we usually end up with once everyone has stuck their oar in and demanded their favourite hobby-horses'...

Agree that the principles behind it are sound. It's just the terminology, the choice of words, that grates on me a little but it is indeed brutally honest. I suppose my reaction is influenced by my observations on how the "minimum viable product" approach is implemented (inconsistently) in my place of toil.

« Reply #526 on: 16 August, 2017, 11:38:41 pm »
I have a delivery coming from UKMail andI'm tracking it online.
The stages in this parcel's delivery to me include 'Collected' (from supplier), 'In transit' and 'Delivered'. But what do you think the missing second status is in that sequence ?

Aaaaagggghhhhh.

'At sortation facility'
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #527 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:06:50 am »

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #528 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:12:26 am »
Some interesting ideation and flipped learning:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/23/from-inboxing-to-thought-showers-how-business-bullshit-took-over

Don't knock the bullshit. We've got a Tidy-Haired Thought Leader who relies on that for his job ;D
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #529 on: 23 November, 2017, 11:08:28 pm »
I have two cats to feed and vestigial pride.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #530 on: 24 November, 2017, 02:52:56 pm »
I have a delivery coming from UKMail andI'm tracking it online.
The stages in this parcel's delivery to me include 'Collected' (from supplier), 'In transit' and 'Delivered'. But what do you think the missing second status is in that sequence ?

Aaaaagggghhhhh.

'At sortation facility'

They're drawing lots to see if it gets delivered?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #531 on: 24 November, 2017, 04:53:43 pm »
I have two cats to feed and vestigial pride.

Is "vestigial pride" another way of saying "not many lions"?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #532 on: 24 November, 2017, 05:18:40 pm »
<context: entire company is producing detailed plans for year ahead, that are being combined into company annual operating plan>
I ask <senior director> "Have you made plans for <task x>?"

"No. Person Y <who has left company> normally does <task x>"

"Have you put <task x> into your plan"

"No <paraphrasing> I currently have no mechanism by which to add anything to anybody else’s plan or .... of a way for us to .... combine our efforts"

Which bit of 'combining plans into AOP' did this Senior Director not understand?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #533 on: 24 November, 2017, 08:12:30 pm »
Ha, lonely lions. Indeed. They need Lionr, the meet-another-lion app. Good god, I so should be working somewhere near Old Street.

Reminds me that I've been beckoned to the mothership bridge next week. This may mean the new uber-boss has discovered Taylor Swift vs. Hitler. It'll be my, erm, Downfall.

Apropos to this thread, I'm thinking of doing Management Kittens this year. Imagine if your multinational company with a turnover of billions was managed entirely by kittens. I am.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #534 on: 25 November, 2017, 12:35:16 am »
Apropos to this thread, I'm thinking of doing Management Kittens this year. Imagine if your multinational company with a turnover of billions was managed entirely by kittens. I am.

I think I've worked for at least two of them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #535 on: 25 November, 2017, 11:22:58 am »
Most of the companies I've worked for have been managed by either rats or lizards.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #536 on: 25 November, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »
My last outfit was managed by lying, insincere, incompetent bastards and it felt like they were operating a morality Ponzi scheme. (As in, "if you underlings abide by the moral code, we don't have to.")

At least, that's how it felt.
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #537 on: 25 November, 2017, 05:35:58 pm »
I think I'm being managed by butterflies, every week flit off to launch a new initiative, but last weeks?  Hey? What? but we have this nice shiny new project
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #538 on: 10 February, 2018, 04:03:20 pm »
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #539 on: 11 February, 2018, 04:06:50 pm »
"We've got to eat our own dogfood"

This was from when worked in the world of telecomms and was said by the yanks, meaning less flying more phoning etc. Was ages ago now, but I still remember it. Not unconnected to the fact that I used to to know someone who worked for a petfood manufacturer who said that they did just that through only the premium range. :sick:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #540 on: 11 February, 2018, 04:26:28 pm »

Best washed down by Drinking The Kool-Aid.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #541 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:11:28 pm »
From memory it was the Frenchman with the yogurt company surname that was particularly fond of this phrase, though I’m not questioning your assertion that he got it from a leftpondian.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #542 on: 05 March, 2018, 07:19:03 pm »
Slightly OT, but worth it:
The wise always use a number of ready-made phrases (at the moment I write 'nobody's business' is the most common), popular adjectives (like 'divine' or 'shy-making'), verbs that you only know the meaning of if you live in the right set (like 'dunch'), which give a homely sparkle to small talk and avoid the necessity of thought. The Americans, who are the most efficient people on the earth, have carried this device to such a height of perfection and have invented so wide a range of pithy and hackneyed phrases that they can carry on an amusing and animated conversation without giving a moment's reflection to what they are saying and so leave their minds free to consider the more important matters of big business and fornication.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #543 on: 28 March, 2018, 01:09:38 pm »
Not so much a phrase but a memo that is hard to comply with:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear colleague,

All colleagues, including anyone working for and on behalf of BigCo, are reminded that BigCo assets, resource or any site facilities are not to be used for personal use in any form, or for the storage of private property, including vehicles.

Lockers are assigned for the necessary short-term storage of personal items required for BigCo business purposes.

BigCo has no insurance or liability arising for [sic] the storage of any personal property. Any breach is a serious disciplinary matter.

Issued on behalf of [name redacted], Director, Corporate Security and Business Protection and  [name redacted], Manager, Corporate Insurance Risk

-----------------------------------------------------

I am trying to reconcile this with the existence of a great big car park, a bike shed, my jacket on the back of my chair and the floor supporting my own briefcase with the odd personal item it that doesn't get used for work.

It reminds me of http://dilbert.com/strip/2001-10-10 and the following few cartoons.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #544 on: 28 March, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »
I suppose it means you need to turn up naked, without any lunch.

« Reply #545 on: 16 July, 2018, 03:07:53 pm »
All,

Whilst we already have stretched resources, the ideal scenario is keeping non value added touches external to the operation.

I’d like to understand from Lindsay the feasibility of Option 1, and the potential cost hurt/ price increase.

Lindsay – bringing you into the loop on this.

BINGO

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #546 on: 16 July, 2018, 03:43:28 pm »
The one that is really getting on my thrupenny bits, at the moment, is:

"I don't disagree with you"

Quickly followed by a statement that proves they are doing exactly that!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #547 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:02:54 pm »
The one that is really getting on my thrupenny bits, at the moment, is:

"I don't disagree with you"

Quickly followed by a statement that proves they are doing exactly that!
Perhaps you need to reply along the lines of: "Yes, no. I like what you're saying except... " then list all of it. But definitely start with either "Yes, no," or "No, yes."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #548 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:10:22 pm »
Nah, Cudzo, I just interject as soon as they say that and say "which means you are going to, nevermind, carry on"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #549 on: 15 November, 2018, 02:16:07 pm »
I thought I was booking myself on a course, but no...

Congratulations you have successfully reserved a place on the following Learning Journey...

:sick:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius