Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 259466 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #3000 on: 01 August, 2023, 03:13:09 pm »
@ citoyen

I thought somebody must have made a connection - but I missed quite a lot of commentary on this match, with one thing or another.  But you weren't the only one puzzled by some of the decisions made in this series!  The tendency is to ascribe some sort of arcane or special knowliedge to the decision-makers, when that is clearly not the case!  What a terrific series, though.  The Aussies may have taken the urn but I reckon some bowling averages have taken a knock on the way.

« Reply #3001 on: 01 August, 2023, 03:22:20 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3002 on: 01 August, 2023, 04:07:51 pm »
I don't know if the pundits got around to adding a rider to Stuart Broad's fairy-tale departure:-

Broad:  Last ball faced - hit for 6
            Last ball bowled - winning wicket

Don Broadman*  Last ball faced - out for 0, reducing his first-class average to 99.99.  The culprit has a stand named after him at Edgbaston.

*  Obscure Australian batsman.

Post 2989 ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3003 on: 01 August, 2023, 04:09:38 pm »

Don Broadman*  Last ball faced - out for 0, reducing his first-class average to 99.99.  The culprit has a stand named after him at Edgbaston.

Out of interest, what would he have needed to score to have an average of 100+? (Apart from Not Out as an option)

« Reply #3004 on: 01 August, 2023, 04:35:52 pm »

Out of interest, what would he have needed to score to have an average of 100+? (Apart from Not Out as an option)

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3005 on: 01 August, 2023, 06:30:39 pm »
I don't know if the pundits got around to adding a rider to Stuart Broad's fairy-tale departure:-

Post 2989 ;)

Yes, I knew that.  Bradman was the rider!

« Reply #3006 on: 01 August, 2023, 09:07:11 pm »

Reducing his Test average to 99.94

His first class average was 95.14.

Gotta love a bit of pedantry  :P

It's a fair cop, Bobb.  I was doing it out of my head (which I obviously was!).

You may enjoy this video Don Bradman's Duck - Numberphile
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3007 on: 01 August, 2023, 09:15:00 pm »

Post 2989 ;)

Yes, I knew that.  Bradman was the rider!

Aggers mentioned the story that the reason he was out was because he couldn't see the ball through his tears, following the ovation he received as he walked out. Which he later denied.

« Reply #3008 on: 01 August, 2023, 11:06:05 pm »

Reducing his Test average to 99.94

His first class average was 95.14.

Gotta love a bit of pedantry  :P

It's a fair cop, Bobb.  I was doing it out of my head (which I obviously was!).

You may enjoy this video Don Bradman's Duck - Numberphile

Thanks, Bobb, I enjoyed that and I'd not seen it before.  The Oval pitch looked more like the trenches than a cricket ground!  You do wonder, if he'd been able to play through the war years, how many runs he'd have amassed.  Of course, he could have ended up with the standard average of 50 - 60 - but I doubt it!

Thanks again!

Edit:  Some pretty rum bowling actions in there, I thought!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3009 on: 10 September, 2023, 02:57:56 pm »
I had a notification on my watch and without glasses I thought it said England 284, which I didn't think was too shabby.

Glasses on and I see it is actually 28-4

« Reply #3010 on: 10 September, 2023, 10:53:46 pm »
It turned out fine, J.!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3011 on: 10 September, 2023, 11:47:02 pm »
Yes, it did!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3012 on: 25 September, 2023, 12:07:11 pm »
I am sure we will all be saddened lo learn that the match between Garden Route Badgers and Limpopo Impalas has been delayed by rain.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3013 on: 27 September, 2023, 05:35:05 pm »
I was intrigued by the Nepal v Mongolia Asia cup T20, where Nepal managed to score 318-4 off 20 overs, including one player who brought up 50 in the practical minimum of 9 deliveries (8 6s and a 2).  No matter what the quality of the opposition that's quite some achievement.   Any less would require some improbably combination of overthrows. 

Sadly, it also means that the Czech team have lost their proudest achievement of a T20I record victory.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3014 on: 28 September, 2023, 06:58:01 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1216414

The Garden Route Badgers win by one run! Huzzah! The Limpopo Impalas didn't seem to be playing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3015 on: 30 September, 2023, 10:04:36 pm »
Aha! The Limpopo Impalas beat the Mpumalanga Rhinos by 48 runs.

« Reply #3016 on: 30 September, 2023, 10:39:10 pm »
Thanks, Wow!  Will have to start following this.  Incredibly close match between Badgers and Linyathi.

Have to say an Limpopo impala might take its chance with a rhino but would have no chance with a hippo!  Hippos kill more people than crocs. in the Limpopo - at least they did when I was out there.  (No meat on me, though!)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3017 on: 01 October, 2023, 03:44:59 am »
Was everything grey, green and greasy? And set about with fever trees?

I have never really taken much interest in anyone else’s domestic cricket, but how can one not support a team named Garden Route Badgers? Much more interesting than “Essex Eagles”. And quite a few of my neighbours get quite fed up with badgers using their gardens as thoroughfares.

I have always been a bit wistful that the East Anglian counties don’t play first class cricket. I would support a team named “Norfolk Enchants” like a shot.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #3018 on: 02 October, 2023, 05:20:30 pm »
Norfolk's most famous cricketing family were the Edriches, which is shame really, as it should have been the Broads.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #3019 on: 04 October, 2023, 11:19:55 am »
I discovered that New South Wales are no longer playing Sheffield Shield matches at the Sydney Cricket Ground but at a new purpose build Oval.  That probably makes sense as when I lived in Oz and went to a few Shield games in the early 80s, the few hundred spectators rattled around in a huge venue that was half closed off.

« Reply #3020 on: 04 October, 2023, 12:02:00 pm »
Was everything grey, green and greasy? And set about with fever trees?

I have never really taken much interest in anyone else’s domestic cricket, but how can one not support a team named Garden Route Badgers? Much more interesting than “Essex Eagles”. And quite a few of my neighbours get quite fed up with badgers using their gardens as thoroughfares.

I have always been a bit wistful that the East Anglian counties don’t play first class cricket. I would support a team named “Norfolk Enchants” like a shot.

Only just seen this, Wow.  Some good stuff in there.  I got Just So Stories for a school prize, once (probably when I was at school).  No idea that only a few years later I would be crossing the Limpopo at Beit Bridge while doing VSO.  As for Norfolk, such a missed opportunity!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3021 on: 04 October, 2023, 05:08:43 pm »
Sadly, Garden Route Badgers lost today to Eastern Storm. However, Posthumus managed to take 3-24 from his 8 overs.

« Reply #3022 on: 04 October, 2023, 06:29:35 pm »
Sadly, he won't be aware of that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3023 on: 12 October, 2023, 02:20:27 pm »
A couple of centurions in the meles meles team...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1216435

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3024 on: 18 October, 2023, 04:53:05 pm »
OK, a memory test now...

Years ago, towards the end of his career, whenever Geoffrey Boycott appeared in a test match, there was a large West Indian guy to be seen in the crowd. He normally wore a dark suit and, I think, a trilby hat. He often shouted advice at Boycott - so much so that he was often to be seen on the televition coverage.  I believe his name was Mr. Griffiths, but I may have that wrong. I also have a recollection that this bloke's daughter was an actress who appeared in some televisual crime/espionage series, possibly Spooks.

I was discussing this with Jan a short while ago but I realised that my recollection of events was not as clear as I wanted it to be. Can the YACF cricketing hive mind come to my rescue please?