Author Topic: If I go for a poo the RAF will fly by.  (Read 1555 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
If I go for a poo the RAF will fly by.
« on: 07 August, 2008, 01:49:15 pm »
I sit here, the sound of jets playing all around me, camera poised to catch a fiendish war machine screaming across the loch, level with me, writing legible on fuselage.

They never come when I wait. They come when I am doing something else. They come when the camera is in the bag with the wrong lens on it.

I get photos like this.

It is simpler than it looks.

Re: If I go for a poo the RAF will fly by.
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2008, 02:35:24 pm »
Where are you Jaded ?

I was camping in Ullapool for a couple of days earlier in the week: no rain, few midgies and some sun.  No bike though.
As soon as I came east again (from about Garve) the rain was falling quite heavily.

No jets either !  Your missed opportunity looks like one of these

(can't tell what variant)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:24:19 pm »
About 3 miles from Ullapool. That jet was almost level with the golf course, I think.

It's lightly overcast here, a breeze and fairly warm. I've been strimming and dealing with last night's curry! Yesterday we went to Inverness and it rained all the way from Garve, all the time we were in Inverness and back. It was windy too.

This has been the best summer we have ever had for weather up here. Not so good for cycling, partly because of illness and partly because Tesco's croissants are so poor.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:29:38 pm »
So... have you been yet?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:41:14 pm »
...Not so good for cycling, partly because of illness and partly because Tesco's croissants are so poor.

That's a shame to hear.   I love looking at the scenery of that area in photos etc, and wish I could get a round tuit with regards booking a holiday up there.  Mrs Nutty prefers sunshine though :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:50:52 pm »
Finally I have been and the RAF let me down.

We've had a lot of sunshine! We even swam in the sea.  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2008, 03:53:39 pm »
Typical flyboys!  If you want dependability, you have to look to the Navy...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:26:48 pm »
It's like Gravity's Rainbow only without the V2's.   O:-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
Anecdote from Ben Rich's book "Skunk Works" which I re-read recently (Ben Rich was Kelly Johnson's successor at Lockheed).
At the start of the Cuban Missile Crisis Kennedy asked the spooks if the missile bases seen of Cuba were really about active, and were really under construction. The spooks showed him a picture taken from an SR-71 of a Cuban construction worker, taking a dump in an outside latrine, and they could tell he was reading a newspaper.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:53:22 pm »
...Not so good for cycling, partly because of illness and partly because Tesco's croissants are so poor.

That's a shame to hear.   I love looking at the scenery of that area in photos etc, and wish I could get a round tuit with regards booking a holiday up there.  Mrs Nutty prefers sunshine though :(

My sister lives in Stirling, is now teaching in Pitlochry and goes up that way quite regulalry.  From what she says, April is has been the time to visit the last few years, sunny and warm quite often

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:08:47 am »
They* flew past later - when we were on the golf course*. I just managed to get a bit of footage on the POV1, they arrive quickly and go just as quick.

*The RAF - not the bats that I saw from the cottage window against the twilight sky. Marvellous.

*A lovely round of golf completed at 21:30

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:14:16 am »

You should be fucked and burned.

/Billy Connolly

(sorry)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2008, 11:02:03 am »
I was going to say something about pilots navigating by the moon, but I don't think I'll bother  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2008, 01:29:30 am »

You should be fucked and burned.

/Billy Connolly

(sorry)

Golf is the people's sport in Scotland. Despite what BC says. He only says things to make money anyway. No old school tie required. You should have seen the lady learners assembled on the practice ground at 20:30. A delight.